The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2019, 09:58 PM   #1
skeetman02

Anyone have any luck with New Orleans Ace derringer?

I have for quite some time wanted one of those New Orleans Ace pistol kits but never wanted it enough for me to spend money on one however I'm starting to look at them again. I have read many reviews that are all over the place and cant seem to get a consistent view on one. Are they cheap pieces of crap or does it all depend on how good my skills are at fit and finish. I would be willing to spend more to get a nicer pistol but for some reason I like this one more than others. Here's the kit I'm referring to: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...Ace+Pistol+Kit
Here's an example of one:
Old August 22, 2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Hawg

Thy used to sell them as finished guns. I bought one of the Twister Derringers back in the late 70's or early 80's. Its a smooth bore and takes a .350 patched ball. Power and accuracy are seriously lacking. I wouldn't expect any better from the Ace.
Old August 23, 2019, 07:13 AM   #3
noelf2

I have one that I bought back in the 70's when they were still sporting rifled barrels. The one in the pic you posted has a broken grip, btw. You will not get accuracy from one past 5 yards or so, even with a rifled barrel. There are no sights. That said, if you can get one cheap, they are fun. I use mine for shooting blank bp loads on 4 july and such, and also to test homemade bp. I took off the stupid rammer rings so it's not as awkward.
Old August 23, 2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Old No7

I built one from a kit a long time ago, and it was fun to do. I did it more for the building aspect, than as a "shooter". Oh sure, I did put a few shots down range (more like "down the next 20 feet..."); and like others, I've burned more powder when using it as a noisemaker.

Interesting comment on the grip; with the broken "ear" behind the trigger, as that happened on a Duck Foot verison that I got as a semi-built kit awhile ago. I've smoothed up the wood some, but it's tough to replace that piece and I haven't bothered to look for any replacement stocks.

Just know what it is -- and what it isn't -- before you get it. If you can get one for a good price, get it. Especially if you want it!

As sometimes "want" overcomes a lot of other considerations...

Old No7
Old August 23, 2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Pahoo

Your money; your call !!!

Quote:
Just know what it is -- and what it isn't -- before you get it. If you can get one for a good price, get it. Especially if you want it!
Yes, I would have to agree with this statement. Been there and done that and won't go back. They are prone to stock breakage, like at the anchor bolt. I'd rather invest this money, in a single-shot pistol like a repo-Kentuckian or single-shot percussion. I built two and use one as a classroom training aid. I replace the barrel with a clear plastic tube and demo the steps in loading. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old August 26, 2019, 09:29 AM   #6
noelf2

Mine was a kit too. I left some wood on the grip above the grip screw hole at the recommendation of my father. He also thought it would break too easily if made flush.

I also left some wood at the sides near the trigger in hopes the sides wouldn't crack and break (like the one in the OPs image has). It ain't pretty, but it ain't broke either.

And lastly, the very poor attempt at rifling. They gave up on doing that after the first year or two. Why rifle a sightless belly gun??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190826_101337.jpg (66.7 KB, 1517 views)
File Type: jpg 20190826_101354.jpg (126.5 KB, 1518 views)
File Type: jpg 20190826_101445.jpg (43.8 KB, 1509 views)