The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
riverwalker76

Old Brass Reloading

A buddy of mine dropped off some brass to me this morning, and I'm not sure I want to reload them. They are in a late 60's Western Super X Silvertip box, and have R-P headstamps. The box is vintage and has the price "$5.55" written on it

Should I just hang on to these for nostalgic reasons, or reload them? I'm leaning towards holding onto them since they are so old.

What are your thoughts?
Old February 17, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Brass doesn't exactly "get old". If they were stored correctly and look normal, there's no reason you couldn't reload them.

On the other hand, I assume you mean "a box", as in 20 pieces. If that's the case, I'd probably just keep them. Brass is cheap and plentiful, I wouldn't sweat it over 20 cases.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Shootest

The headstamp and box do not match. The Western Super X Silvertip was/is made by Winchester and should be stamped WW. The R-P headstamp is made by Remington-Peters. If they are loaded with Silvertip bullets they are probably already reloads and not worth saving.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
riverwalker76

I'll probably just keep them together for the sake of the old box. I like antique, old, boxes anyway, and, like you stated, probably worth the brass just to let them sit.

I also thought it worth mentioning that he gave me a handful of the old 308 'Accelerator' cartridges. I'll probably not fire them due to accuracy issues with them, but I thought they were neat anyway. They are a .308 R-P headstamp with a saboted .22 bullet in the case neck. I've heard that these things were basically made for a 'fun' load and impractical for hunting. I'd be scared to shoot them from my .308 precision bolt rifle.

Do any of you remember these cartridges?
Old February 17, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also thought it worth mentioning that he gave me a handful of the old 308 'Accelerator' cartridges. I'll probably not fire them due to accuracy issues with them, but I thought they were neat anyway. They are a .308 R-P headstamp with a saboted .22 bullet in the case neck. I've heard that these things were basically made for a 'fun' load and impractical for hunting. I'd be scared to shoot them from my .308 precision bolt rifle.

Do any of you remember these cartridges?
I think they still make them. You can definitely still get the components for reloading. They have long range accuracy issues but they are neat.
Old February 17, 2011, 03:00 PM   #6
larryf1952

Insofar as reloading the old brass is concerned, I came across about 100 nickel .45ACP Winchester cases with headstamps from the early '60's. They all looked good, so I loaded them up and used them. Some of those cases have been reloaded several times using 185 JHP's without ill effect.
Old February 17, 2011, 05:16 PM   #7
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I have a bunch of 70's WW brass in rotation. Some has been reloaded upwards of twenty times. No problems.
Old February 17, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Edward429451

Old brassI treat just like new brass. Inspect it, process it, and shoot it. A friends G-pa died 30 some years ago and the G-ma finally decided to clean out his room. I received most of the mans componants and dies, and some of the Western brass just as you describe, and 4 boxes of virgin R-P brass. It all shoots good. The rule with brass is...When in doubt, throw it out.
Old February 17, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
riverwalker76

Upon further inspection of the brass in the box that I received ...

it appears that my buddy just filled the box with whatever brass he had on hand at the time he was shooting it. There are 6 brass that have the R-P headstamp, and the remaining 14 brass say WW SUPER .308 Winchester.

As I stated earlier, I have so much .308 brass as it is that I think I will just leave these in the box as they sit. Kind of neat to see an old box like this that isn't in circulation any longer.
Old February 17, 2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

There are millions of WWII brass still being reloaded all the time.
If in doubt just anneal and load away.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Russ45

I have a lot of that old brass that I have loaded a dozen times and expect to load it many dozens of times more.
Old February 18, 2011, 12:31 AM   #12
medalguy

I still reload 1940's vintage 30-06 brass all the time. Heck, 1960 dated brass is fairly NEW.....I don't think I have any 30-06 newer than 1972.
Old February 18, 2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Win_94

Quote:
and has the price "$5.55" written on it
That's nothing!

When I got my Eddystone US Model of 1917, I got a partial box of ammo with it.

I shot them, then reloaded them. I don't remember ever leaving any reloadable brass behind.
Old February 18, 2011, 07:03 AM   #14
radom

I dont get the idea where folks tend to think ammo and cases are like ground round on the kitchen counter.
Old February 18, 2011, 09:36 PM   #15
cornbush

Keep the box, load the brass.... it's nothing special.