The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 6, 2020, 10:21 PM   #26
balin

I shoot handguns with my left hand and left eye. Long guns are right hand and eye. I shoot with my shooting eye open and the other partially open. From the reports I have seen under stress two eyed shooters usually close one eye when they shoot under a stressful situation. Even though they trained themselves to use 2 eyes in practice.
Old September 7, 2020, 12:04 AM   #27
luger fan

TWO for combat shooting.
Old September 7, 2020, 07:28 AM   #28
raddadmike

Two eyes, but it took a bunch of practice. I still find myself closing my left eye on occasion
Old September 7, 2020, 07:39 AM   #29
ghbucky

Quote:
From the reports I have seen under stress two eyed shooters usually close one eye when they shoot under a stressful situation. Even though they trained themselves to use 2 eyes in practice.
That's interesting. I read an article that someone else posted that I think is linked upthread that claims to be written by a Green Beret that states the exact opposite, that under fear your eyes open wider and you should train to shoot both eyes open because that is how you will be shooting if you fear for your life.

I'd be interested to read reports that state the opposite.
Old September 7, 2020, 11:41 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
I even keep both eyes open on scopes up to 12X.
With 2 and 2.5X IER's ..... easy ..... 3X conventionally mounted .... a bit harder .... 12X? my eyes are going to be arguing with each other loud enough to wreck the zen calm necessary for any shot of any difficulty at all ....
Old September 8, 2020, 04:26 PM   #31
skoro

Handgun: both eyes

Rifles: all have scopes, so one eye
Old September 8, 2020, 05:30 PM   #32
stagpanther

I did finally find one kind of sight I still have trouble with without using just one eye--and I discovered it today when I removed a scope from my lever gun intending to use just the buckhorn rear leaf and front bead iron sights. I found that to be very challenging with both eyes open, even though I haven't had the same problem with other iron sight systems. I never did well with buckhorns even when using just one eye--so that may be the problem.
Old September 8, 2020, 07:04 PM   #33
ghbucky

I shoot all the time with handguns with both eyes open. But I just always sort of assumed that was off the table for scopes.

I tried it, and man, that is disorienting. The image seems to randomly shift between the magnified and non-magnified image. Weird.
Old September 8, 2020, 07:51 PM   #34
stagpanther

Quote:
I tried it, and man, that is disorienting. The image seems to randomly shift between the magnified and non-magnified image. Weird.
That 's because your brain is hard-wired from years of doing it dominant eye, you can overcome that without too much effort if you just practice often enough.
Old September 9, 2020, 08:02 AM   #35
stagpanther

I did a bit more practice with the buckhorn with both eyes open--the problem is now that I've "brain trained" my eyes to ignore the ghost when sighting with both eyes open--when using the buckhorn the rear sight vanishes altogether and only the front is in focus. Problem with that is that I still need the rear ghost image to get an elevation reference point--even though main focus on the front iron is what I want to do. I've progressed to the point that a "slight squint" can keep enough of a blurred ghost of the rear leaf for elevation reference without going to full one-eye-closed. I'm sure a rear aperture or peep would eliminate the issue altogether--but I'm interested in trying to adapt to the "factory stock" buckhorn, just for the heck of it.
Old September 9, 2020, 03:53 PM   #36
stagpanther

My second day of working with just the buckhorn irons and using 2 eyes. This is quite hard, I have to admit I can't get a quick sight picture with both eyes open right from the start--I still have to begin with squinting enough so the rear leaf comes into reference for elevation before focusing exclusively on the front bead. I think I can get the hang of it with a bit more work, but there's only so much of teeth and brain rattling I can take with the warm 300 gr speer JHP loads I'm using, so I'll have to gradually work up. Another issue is that the notched elevation slider always slides forward under recoil knocking the elevation down, took me a while to figure out why my vertical spread was so significant.

50 yds; not great but I think I can get it down with more practice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3465.jpg (102.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3467.jpg (59.2 KB, 43 views)
Old September 10, 2020, 09:30 AM   #37
ghbucky

Quote:
Another issue is that the notched elevation slider always slides forward under recoil knocking the elevation down
That seems to be quite the defect, no?

I'd get in contact with the manufacturer over that one.
Old September 10, 2020, 11:31 AM   #38
stagpanther

I'm guessing it's a fitment issue with easy solution (I hope).
Old October 10, 2020, 06:18 PM   #39
ghbucky

Interesting thing about this. When I actually picked up a scoped rifle and say 'OK, I'm gonna look through this scope with both eyes open' I can't do it.

A couple of weeks ago I had the scope cranked up to 12x and was on the rifle about to fire when a thought about both eyes open crossed my mind and I realized that I had both eyes open right then.

So, I guess I do without even realizing it.