The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2020, 01:19 PM   #1
dyl

Short cylinder revolvers?

I saw a post in the revolver question about the unnecessary empty case space in 38 special.

That prompts me to ask the question: Have there been any modern revolvers in calibers less than 38 where they have trimmed down the cylinder for efficiency? For example, Ruger has the LCR in 9mm I believe. Did they shorten the cylinder because they could, or keep it the same length as 38 special? A short cylinder would be significantly lighter and you'd get longer barrel length out the same form factor.
Old August 28, 2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I think they all have the same length cylinder but I am sure you can look in a Ruger catalog as easily as I can.

There are three ways to go about it:
A short cylinder and long barrel tenon in a standard frame. S&W did a .45 like that.
A short frame and cylinder. Taurus tried that. There is wishful thinking that S&W would bring back the I frame for the purpose. Fat chance.
Standard length frame and cylinder, all it takes is a reamer for the factory to add a caliber.
Old August 28, 2020, 01:53 PM   #3
74A95

Smith and Wesson and Ruger have both shortened cylinders for some 9mm revolvers.

https://www.ruger.com/products/super...eets/5066.html

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-986-25-barrel
Old August 28, 2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Taurus made one with the entire frame and cylinder shortened for 9mm.
They now make basically the same model in .380.
Old August 29, 2020, 06:25 PM   #5
TruthTellers

The 9mm LCR is built on the steel frame of the .357 Magnum. Ruger uses the same length cylinders between the two for simplicity.

No revolver makers are going to go out of their way to make a shorter cylinder for .38 Long Colt or Short Colt or .32 S&W or .32 ACP, they don't see a demand for it. If there's not enough demand, there's no profit.

I don't think that's true, H&R was making the tiny Young America and Vest Pocket double action revolvers in .22 and .32 S&W in the early 1900s and sold millions of them, not because they were powerful, but because they were very small. A modern version of the Young America in .32 ACP with an alloy frame that weighs 6oz would be very popular even today.
Old August 29, 2020, 10:09 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

You really can't count on the past popularity of small revolvers to hold true today. Back when they were really popular, there was no real competition from semi autos like there is today.

Not only have the guns improved but so has the ammo. Today you can get a small semi that holds more rounds and has ammo that is at least as good as the light revolver stuff, if not better performing.

That right there wipes out a huge chunk of the market that was revolver dominant between the 1880s and WWII.

In a way, its kind of the same reason 9mm revolvers are so few, and why many of them have gone out of production. Simply put, if its to be a 9mm or less, the semi has several advantages over the revolver, generally.

Sure, some people will buy a revolver scaled for a short round, but with the other choices (and quality of choices) available today, will enough people buy them to make money for the makers? Apparently they think its doubtful, and who can blame them??