The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2020, 09:28 AM   #26
wild cat mccane

Directly from Federal in the Sig forum:
https://sigtalk.com/ammo-reloading/3...estricted.html

Bone Frog used to be the cheapest source of HST, but then they moved to LE only sales with verification.

Days of $20 HST have been gone way before COVID. So, HST and Gold Dot have literally not increased in price since COVID. And there is a huge supply of it.
Old June 25, 2020, 09:52 AM   #27
TunnelRat

What Semi-Auto's are Left at Your LGS?

I was purchasing HST from SGammo for $29.95 a box back in September, not as long as a year ago. Some are still selling for ~$35 a box besides Bone Frog, which as you mentioned has the restriction. So it may well be that $40 is or has been the new normal, but the timeline you gave doesn't completely match my own experience. As for supply, I never said I couldn't get it (the ammoseek link I gave shows a number of options), I said I couldn't get it at the prices I'm used to.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 25, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old June 25, 2020, 11:25 AM   #28
sigarms228

Last time I purchased 9MM HST from SGA it was $23 a box of 50 but that was a couple years ago and I know that SGA upped their price at least a year ago to about where it is at now due to Federal pricing rules.

However the huge increase in demand for 9MM has been for FMJ range/practice ammo and that is where the current shortage is. I have been stocking up during the 2017-2019 buy cheap and stack deep time but many had not and were very surprised to find the shelves bare when they were heading for a trip to the range within the last few months resulting in the huge increase of demand because shooters wanted to avoid that situation again and have enough on hand for at least a few range trips if not for many more.

My LGS is huge and has 63 indoor lanes for their range. When I was there in May they had ZERO 9MM practice ammo and only $30 a box SD ammo to sell for those who needed 9MM ammo for the range which went over like a lead balloon.

In addition to the current shortage of 9MM range/practice ammo, prices have gone up about 40 percent on average from what they were in February when it can be found and going even higher again the last couple weeks to where most places are selling at about 30 cents a round or higher. At this point with current events I would not be surprised demand to stay extremely high for quite a while.

Last edited by sigarms228; June 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old June 25, 2020, 03:48 PM   #29
Archer1440

My LGS, where I have a range membership, is also quite large and has, today (just got back from sighting in a new RMR on my HK carry pistol)...

Several P365's, a few Hellcats, several Glock 19 and 17 in various colors, a bunch of polymer and metal CZ variants (mostly higher end models), several M&P variants (mostly full size), several XD variants (ditto on size), a bunch of .22 LR plinkers, some awful Cerakoted 1911's with gaudy graphics, but very few rifles of any sort. Based on what I saw there two weeks ago all the P365 variants, M&P's, XD, and Glocks will be gone in the next 24 hours, and the CZ's- some of which have amazingly good triggers- will likely still be there (they've been there at least 3 weeks already).

Every few weeks they get entry level HK's (VP9) and a few metal SIG and P320 series pistols in, which seem to go fast, along with the odd Legion now and then.

Lots of 115 grain 9mm range ammo (Federal white box) at 14.50 a box, which is steep but they do have it. Glad I don't need it. Plenty of other calibers too including some full house 10MM.
Old June 25, 2020, 04:36 PM   #30
Carl the Floor Walker

Do you buy self defense at the same ration as range ammo? Of course Self defense ammo is more available. People are buying new guns like crazy and have to break them, in, train with them etc.

I buy a few thousand rds a month of range ammo, buy a box a month of self defense. If I need a self defense to the tune of having to shoot a lot of ammo to defend myself, home or family, of course I will use any ball ammo available.
Old June 25, 2020, 04:52 PM   #31
44caliberkid

Checked Farm and Fleet this morning. One Sig 226, a 229, full size 320, and a Sig 1911 with the worn finish and pewter looking stocks with stars on it. Also a Ruger 1911 45 acp
Old June 25, 2020, 11:14 PM   #32
kozak6

A pile of new Beretta APX's, full size and compact.
Old June 26, 2020, 12:02 AM   #33
JDBerg

The LGS offerings here are slim pickings. And I’m starting to have concerns about the viability of some of these small businesses who don’t have product to sell. But one of the LGS’s I frequent does great gunsmithing. So it’s a good excuse to get some gunsmithing done on guns I already have. I just got my CZ 75B back from having some trigger work done, and I had a race hammer installed, and I’m very pleased with the results.
Old June 27, 2020, 09:30 AM   #34
GarandTd

My closest LGS has Glocks, Caniks, Rugers, Springfield's, Sig's, Taurus, Sccys, a Sar......

Last edited by GarandTd; June 27, 2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old June 27, 2020, 10:40 PM   #35
Ignition Override

A very large selection of handguns was still available--Friday-- at range/store Shoot Point Blank. This is a retail chain.
Most of the used 9mm handguns were gone. But---this was a very small fraction of the overall quantity.

There were still at least two or three 'new' Walther PPQs.

* At Classic Arms in nearby Cordova/Memphis, the selection of handguns appeared to be >>>normal.<<<, in other words, what they had one, two years ago etc. Sig P229, Beretta 9mm Compact were there Friday.
Maybe that store sold quite a few then recently restocked all of them? Nothing indicated any shortage.

I'm suspicious that some of the "reports" of gun stores being cleaned out are attempts to keep anxiety from Cooling Off...probably reported by some of the guys trying to sell unwanted handguns on Armslist TN etc.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old June 30, 2020, 06:11 PM   #36
zoo

West coast of Arizona along the northern part of the river from I40 and up, firearms/firearm supplies at the local gun stores are getting pitiful and have been for a while now.

I see that online at places like Aero Precision, etc., rarely have much these days as well.

After the depression fully kicks in, things may pick up if you have the money.
Old June 30, 2020, 06:34 PM   #37
44caliberkid

I was in Brownells store yesterday and they had just about anything you might want.
Old June 30, 2020, 07:00 PM   #38
zoo

Quote:
I was in Brownells store yesterday and they had just about anything you might want.
No offense 44cal but I see a lot of "out of stock" and over-priced firearms on Brownell's website.
Old June 30, 2020, 10:30 PM   #39
Hawg

Gary's Pawn and Gun in Columbus MS had tons of guns yesterday. We got my wife's S&W 9 EZ out of layaway and I picked up a S&W AR.
Old July 1, 2020, 02:43 AM   #40
Ibmikey

Lots of Taurus stuff, not much of anything of quality however.
Old July 1, 2020, 04:02 AM   #41
wmg1299

In an attempt to find ammo, I stopped by Cabela’s a few days ago. They had an impressive amount of S&W and Ruger revolvers, but the semi-autos were pretty picked over. It looked like they had a few Shields and one or two XD models, but customers did seem to be able to order a few more models if they were willing to wait a few days for them to come in. Seemed like there were a lot of new buyers in the line who are in for a rude awakening when they try to find practice ammo.
Old July 4, 2020, 07:46 PM   #42
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
No offense 44cal but I see a lot of "out of stock" and over-priced firearms on Brownell's website.
The OP was asking what semi-autos were still left in gun stores, price not being relevant during "shortage" conditions. I was in Brownells brick and mortar store in Grinnell, Iowa, not in the on-line store. Everything I saw was physically there. Yes they do have some expensive guns. And most of their prices right now are full retail. But I still find good priced guns there, but you have to be there when it happens. But some stores are charging about 25% over retail. I know one shop who has a lot of high end AR's and competition pistols and he still has them.
Old July 5, 2020, 07:51 AM   #43
the45er

The gunshops in Houston have pistols but they sell quickly. I buy a lot of guns on line. Trying to find a good 9mm or 45 ACP on Bud's or Palmetto right now isn't easy either. This thread should scare the hell out of you. Way, way too many people who don't know a 1911 from a Ruger Blackhawk are running out and buying pistols and self-defense shotguns and AR-15's. Some are getting properly trained but you can rest assured most aren't. Scared people with guns that don't know how to use them creates a very dangerous situation.
Old July 5, 2020, 08:05 AM   #44
603Country

The glass cases were full of pistols in the gun shop in Our small Texas town. It was real busy though. No 380 ammo.
Old July 5, 2020, 09:08 PM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

Guns and ammo are bare. And this is a popular store. The range which is usually busy is dead. So easy for me to walk right in and have a bay to myself.
What I found as the most interesting thing was that the staff, which I have known for years, were all new faces.
I asked one of the newbies what was going on, where was so and so and he said they all quite and found new jobs.
Did they feel the market will not be there in the near future? I have no idea. Hopefully will run into one some day and find out.
Old July 6, 2020, 07:42 PM   #46
Kreyzhorse

What I saw was that the cheaper they were, the faster they sold.
Old July 6, 2020, 08:46 PM   #47
CUBAN REDNECK

Currently ZERO for semi-autos. Even some on-line sellers are running low.
Old July 6, 2020, 09:29 PM   #48
zoo

So we can all admit that currently the availability/price outlook is poor, right? Lol.

Patience, grasshopper.
Old July 8, 2020, 11:13 AM   #49
Hammerhead

Plenty of pistols at my LGS yesterday (southeast MN). Full shelves.
Only thing they were out of was 9mm ammo and small pistol primers.
Old July 8, 2020, 09:54 PM   #50
BillW

On Monday I set out to my LGS to try to put three pistols on consignment. Gen 2 G 22 40 S&W, Gen 2 G 23 40 S&W, and Gen 3 G 35 40 S&W. The first store said no thank you. Interestingly a customer asked what I wanted for the G 22. I said $300 and he bought it on the spot, cash money. I knew his father who was a LEO who worked with my son.

I went to the second LGS who said 40 S&W was not selling; no thank you.

On Tuesday I posted a for sale note at our local public gun range. Each pistol with 100 rounds of FMJ ammo for $350 OBO. So far no calls.