The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 30, 2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Lefty64

Help with vintage Colt revolver?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone out there can help me.
I was recently given a Colt .32- 20 WCF Army Special revolver. the last patent date on it is July 4, 1905. It appears to be (drawing upon my very limited knowledge) in excellent original condition.
I like the gun very much and am wondering if this revolver would make an appropriate "house gun" and what ammunition could safely be shot through it? I have tried to do some online research on the subject but am confused with the results. There are some loads that are stated as being way too hot for this old gun and I don't want to damage it or myself.
Would I need to find vintage ammunition for it or are there new options? I am planning on taking it to a local gunsmith to make sure it can even be safely fired at all.
Thanks much in advance, Lefty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (82.8 KB, 190 views)
Old November 30, 2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Bob Wright

The .32-20 (.32 W.C.F.) was originally loaded in two levels, the hi-speed for rifles and standard velocity for revolvers. The High-Speed or High-Velocity is no longer loaded by commercial manufacturers, and factory .32-20 is suitable for older revolvers in good condition.

Be aware some custom loaders, or re-manufacturers, do load some cartridges that might be too hot for your gun. Stay with the "cowboy loads" and you're O.K., provided you gun checks out to be in good firing condition. A trip to the gunsmith is a wise move.

Bob Wright
Old November 30, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The Colt Army Special model was manufactured from 1908 to 1927. During this time the Military lost interest in revolvers after the Model 1911 semi-automatic pistol was adapted by the Army. When law enforcement agencies began to change over from 32 caliber revolvers to 38 caliber revolvers the Army Special model underwent a few minor changes and was renamed the Colt Official Police. The Official Policed model was manufactured until 1969.

This Army Special is chambered for the 38 Special cartridge. It was made in 1921.

If you post your Serial Number I can look up when your Army Special was made. Don't post the entire number, substitute Xs for the last two digits.

Be careful of the grips on your revolver, they are the original hard rubber grips and they tend to get brittle with age and break easily.

Regarding the 32-20 cartridge, this is an old Black Powder cartridge. The name 32-20 refers to 32 caliber, 20 grains of Black Powder. When originally developed by the Winchester company, they called the cartridge 32 WCF, for 32 Winchester Center Fire. You will probably have some difficulty finding 32-20 ammunition at your local gun store unless they are very well stocked. I too recommend 'Cowboy' ammo for your Army Special as the pressures are kept fairly low. But it is not going to be cheap. If you can order ammunition on line you can probably find 32-20 Cowboy loads at Midway USA.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; November 30, 2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old November 30, 2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Lefty64

Help with vintage Colt revolver?

The serial number on my Colt .32-20 Army Special is 4532XX
Thanks, Lefty
Old November 30, 2015, 08:57 PM   #5
gyvel

1920 according to Colt.

Personally, I would select another firearm for a "house gun." That gun, if it is in the condition you describe, is worth a few bucks, and it ain't getting any younger. Parts have mostly dried up for that gun, and according to the internet commandos, not many gunsmiths work on them anymore.

.32-20 ammo is not easy to find (as compared to the "usual suspects," i.e. 9mm, .38 Sp., .45 ACP, etc.), and the gun is 95 years old.

I an understand that there may be a financial issue, but, if at all possible, save a few dollars a week and buy something modern. Lots of police trade ins available now, too, and lots of former Eastern Bloc guns on the market being sold pretty cheap.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; December 1, 2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old November 30, 2015, 08:57 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Lefty - "Proof House" puts that serial number as being produced in 1920.

Good advice already given.

I have a 1910 Army Special in 38 Special - 6" barrel. It is an excellent shooter but since I reload, all that I put through it is milder cast lead loads. I've been looking for a good 32-20 for a long time but never seem to find a "good one". Either they are very worn or over priced. I'm set up to reload 32-20 so eventually I'll find one!

As mentioned . . if you get it . . be careful of the grips as they can sometimes be on the fragile side due to age. Reproduction grips are available. I haven't replaced my originals with repros but I should. I'm just very careful with them.

An Army Special is a good revolver as were the later "name changed" Official Police.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 30, 2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I concur, your Army Special was made in 1920. It is one year older than mine.

Parts from an Official Police should fit the Army Special, as they were almost the same gun. There were lots of Official Police revolvers made.

Ammo may not be available locally, but it is available on line.

http://www.midwayusa.com/32-20-wcf/br?cid=7535

But you may not want to keep a 95 year old revolver as a house gun.

If it wuz me, and it wuz in good condition, I would have no problem with it. I have lots of guns that old or older.
Old November 30, 2015, 09:27 PM   #8
natman

You can get 32-20 ammo, but there are only 5 loads listed on Midway and they are all lead flat points, which is not the best configuration for defense and they are all more than $35 for a box of 50. In contrast, there are over 100 loads available for 38 Special, which is a better round, has every type of bullet imaginable and costs 1/2 to 2/3 as much per box and is available everywhere.

Unless it has overwhelming sentimental value, you'd probably be better off selling it to a collector and buying an S&W 38 Special as a house gun.
Old November 30, 2015, 09:50 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Army Special was the successor to the New Army/New Navy revolver. That gun, originally made for .38 Long Colt, was also chambered for .32-20, beginning at about the same time (c.1904) as it was chambered for .38 Special.

Jim
Old November 30, 2015, 09:53 PM   #10
reddog81

It would work for a " house gun". It's in better condition than most guns still around that old. Assuming it functions properly I'm sure it will be a fine shooter.

Ammo is just as easy to find with a few clicks of the mouse as anything else.
As long as it checks out and you put some rounds down range to make sure it works you will be good to go.
Old December 1, 2015, 09:28 AM   #11
salvadore

I have a 1931 OP in 32/20 that I have shot some toasty loads thru, a la Paco Kelly ,without any trouble. I also see main springs are for sale again. When I got the shooter some years back I had to do some work on the bolt to keep the cylinder from turning ccw. That was a little nerve wracking since I didn't think I could find another. I use 231 and a pb 3118 style bullet @ .314" for a sedate accurate load. Since I've owned the revolver the barrel was cleaned once after purchase and sees a mop once in a while. I heart my 32/20 and if there weren't a glut of handguns around here I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a house gun.
Old December 1, 2015, 05:38 PM   #12
SmokinTom

A 32/20 for a house gun is better than nothing for a house gun. Will it work? Yes it will. Are there better guns? Yes there are. But if that's what you have,so be it.

Chances are it will never be used to protect yourself or your family. But if it ever comes to that shoot straight. It will get the job done
Old December 1, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

The Army Special was introduced by Colt in 1908 - the same year that Henry Ford introduced the Model T.

The main reason that I bought my Army Special was because my Dad was born in 1908 - same year the AS was introduced. My Dad also graduated from High School in 1927 - the same year that Colt changed the name from Army Special to Official Police for marketing purposes.

Fps some history on the AS . . .

http://www.coltfever.com/Army_Special.html
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 2, 2015, 06:09 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20, a companion to my S&W Military & Police in .32-20.

The .32-20 was one of the most popular (if not the most) of the "small bore" cartridges of the black powder era. Virtually every company chambered the round in one or more guns.

Unfortunately, because there are so many of the older guns still around, it never really made the transition to a "modern" cartridge, meaning that loads with modern, jacketed bullets are pretty hard to find unless you go the custom route, and modern ammunition for the most part is kept to the old black powder specs.

The .32-20 is a decently powerful round, but it's really no competition for a .38 Special.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 2, 2015, 09:33 AM   #15
Lefty64

Re: Help with vintage Colt revolver

Thanks very much To everyone for all the great information and advice. This is an invaluable forum.
Much obliged, Lefty
Old December 2, 2015, 06:12 PM   #16
SaxonPig

FYI to the forum...Officially the Army Special was discontinued in 1927 and replaced by the Official Police. However, there were apparently a bunch of left over barrels and cylinders to assemble 32-20s beyond 1927 and Colt did just that right up until at least 1934. I have a 32-20 Army Special with a serial from the OP series putting it at a 1934 date.

I agree with those saying the 32-20 would work as a defensive pistol but there are better choices. If you have other choices, that is. If the 32-20 is all you have then that's all you have.
Old September 5, 2020, 06:12 PM   #17
Bullitt454

Police positive or Army special ? It’s 6” in 32-20.

I’ve tried to do some research but it just doesn’t look like ether.

Thanks, Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1bc7d28d-5b54-4368-b4af-ee9212ffad52.jpg (616.4 KB, 26 views)
Old September 5, 2020, 06:41 PM   #18
Dfariswheel

It's a Colt Army Special.
The Army Special was introduced in 1908 to replace the old Colt New Army & Navy models.

The New Army & Navy was only available in .32-20 after 1905, and the line was discontinued in 1907 so the .32-20 model is very rare.

The above pictures are of the Army Special. The Police Positive Special has a different shaped trigger guard.
The New Army & Navy and the Army Special are medium frame models.
The Police Positive Special is a small frame, same as the later Detective Special.

For pictures of the New Army & Navy, the Army Special, and the Police Positive special see here............

http://www.coltfever.com/
Old September 5, 2020, 07:19 PM   #19
Bullitt454

The thing thats confused me is the lack of the screw in lower frame that seems to show up in all the photos of Army special model Colts. Is this a detail that puts it in a certain age group?
Old September 5, 2020, 07:32 PM   #20
Jim Watson

It looks like a model 1895 New Navy, only made in .32-20 from 1905-1907.
Old September 5, 2020, 07:53 PM   #21
ligonierbill

I have a slightly "newer" one, an Official Police made in 1923. I shoot 0.312 115 gr cast FP bullets over Unique. You can look up safe loads. And this is one round that is certainly worth loading your own. It is also a round where the "rifle" loads diverged from the "six-gun" loads. It is by no means a weak revolver, but there are published rifle loads that are definitely too hot.

I would not use it for a house gun. You can load modern JHPs intended for the 32 H&R, but their performance has been disappointing to me. Just enjoy an old classic. Hey, Robert Johnson wrote a blues ballad about it.
Old September 5, 2020, 07:56 PM   #22
Drm50

I’m a S&W guy but also a 32/20 nut. As far as I know the ammo being loaded by major companies is all ok to use in revolvers. They did load rifle ammo and boxes were marked with warning not to fire in revolvers or 1873 Winchester’s. Later with liability concerns they dropped rifle loads. A lot of Spanish knock offs and older Smith and Colts that weren’t heat treated were floating around that could burst. Many cartridges that made transition to smokeless are loaded down for the weakest gun they could be fired in. A 32/20 is close to 32 mag in power. The old timers considered 32/20 a fine people shooter.
Old September 6, 2020, 10:53 AM   #23
RickB

My grandmother used to keep a Webley Mk. I, loaded with (improper) Canadian .455 ammo of WWII vintage, on her nightstand.
I'd be surprised if she ever fired it, but it did "house gun" duties for 20 years.
For a just-in-case piece, that sits, loaded, your old Colt should do fine.
If you are going to the range every weekend with your house gun, then you should probably get something that won't suffer for the use.
Old September 6, 2020, 12:48 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

I would recommend against using it as a house gun, if you have other pistols.

Not for any of the reasons already mentioned, though.
First, if the gun checks out as mechanically sound, the age doesn't matter.
Second, there is no "self defense" ammo for the .32-20. A lead flat point bullet is nothing to sneer at, and put in the right place, it absolutely will work. I meant there are no JHP loads "optimized" for self defense in that caliber.

Even the "handgun" load .32-20 is the most powerful of the old .32 caliber pistol rounds, by a significant margin and also beats .32ACP. Original handgun loads were advertised as 1200fps, "rifle" loads were listed as 16-1700fps.

COWBOY loads are NOT the same. "Cowboy" loads are for playing the Cowboy Action shooting GAME. They are loaded very light (for least recoil) some people describe them as "cat sneeze" loads. Suitable for the game, and plinking, not a good choice for anything else.

And, just FYI, full power .32-20 loads are very LOUD from a pistol. I would not fire one inside a closed room, except in gravest extreme.

The main reason I would not recommend using your gun as a house gun is, if you ever DO need to use it in self defense, the police WILL take it. And, to them, it isn't a valuable firearm, its a piece of evidence. One they will keep until all legal matters are settled. This could be weeks, months, or possibly even years, and they are under no requirement to give the gun proper treatment or storage.

You will, eventually get the gun back, but it could be chipped, cracked, dinged, damaged or even rusted, which would be a true shame.

If possible get another gun to keep as a defense gun, one of lesser historical value. A modern .38 DA would do the job, and be easier to repair or replace if something should happen to it.
Old September 6, 2020, 05:07 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Interesting discussion and some useful information provided.

That said, it's probably worth pointing out that this thread was started in 2015 and the OP hasn't logged in to TFL in half a decade.