The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

At last.....My 617 4"

I have been wanting a S&W 617 4" for quite a while. Ever since I used one, provided by the range, for my CCW class. Just couldn't get past the $850+ for a "22". I know the size of the hole in the barrel doesn't make a difference in the amount of machine work, but it was just a mental block I had. Last week I made a trip to a friends place in Northern Missouri. One of our regular stops is a gun shop in a neighboring town. Well, low and behood, the evil gun shop lady had a 617 4" "as new in box" All books, lock, spent casing, and even the paper wrapper. For $700 OTD I couldn't resist!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 29, 2020, 04:01 PM   #2
ds-10-speed

Congrats on your find! The 4" model seems harder to find and you got a great price.
Old August 29, 2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Double K

Congratulations! I'm envious, I want that same gun in 32 H&R mag, I'd be looking for a set of factory made wood grips with finger grooves and a Bianchi holster.

The 4" version of this gun, I can't get over the prices on these.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877327925

Last edited by Double K; August 29, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old August 29, 2020, 05:19 PM   #4
ms6852

You are going to like how it shoots. I bought exactly what you have when I retired my 1911 as an EDC and decided to carry the 686+ with 3" barrel instead. I was going through a midlife crisis after carrying one for more than 35 years. My 617 I use strictly in double action shooting as this is how I train for the 686. I can shoot a couple of hundred rounds of 22 double action until my hand and finger get tired. After resting I shoot a box of full load .357. For me I find that it builds up my strength in my hand. Wife says it was just an excuse to buy another gun, probably so but we will never know.

Congratulations on a fine revolver.
Old August 29, 2020, 06:24 PM   #5
skoro

Those S&W k-frame 22s are fine revolvers. I have a 4" 17 and a 4" 18. They're both really great range and plinking pieces.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with yours.
Old August 31, 2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Double K

I think it's an L frame?
Old September 1, 2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

From the S&W online catalog description of the 617
Quote:
OVERVIEW

The K-Frame revolver is one of the most important innovations in Smith & Wesson history and was built specifically to handle the .38 S&W Special cartridge. Since its introduction in 1899, the K-Frame has been a favorite for military and police professionals as well as target shooters and enthusiasts. Today's K-Frame is available in .22 LR, .357 Magnum and .38 S&W Special. K-Frame has been a favorite for military and police professionals as well as target shooters and enthusiasts. Today's K-Frame is available in .22 LR, .357 Magnum and .38 S&W Special.
Pretty sure it is a K frame. Some say the confusion comes from the fact that the 617 has the full underlug barrel.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 1, 2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Double K

It is a K frame, I stand corrected.

Here's an interesting post from a guy on a Smith forum.
They are actually quite close in size and a 617 will actually weigh MORE than a 686 with the same barrel length. As for why, smaller bores in the cylinder and barrel means that those parts weight more.

As for the key difference, the cylinder in the K frame is 1.45 inches in diameter and the cylinder on the L frame is 1.56 inches in diameter. Because of this the window in the frame on the L frame is 0.11 inch "taller" and the barrel is 0.055 inch further away from the center of the cylinder. Finally, the stub that threads into the frame on the L frame is a bit larger than the stub that threads into the K frame, so barrels cannot be swapped between the 2 frame sizes.

Beyond those differences due to the larger cylinder, the K and L frame are basically identical, length of the frame windows are the same, the top strap has the same width and thickness, and the area under the frame window is basically identical. Also, the K and L frame use the same grip frame.

Basically, the L frame is a K frame that was enlarged just enough to correct the slight weakness that the K frame demonstrated with the 357 Magnums that were used with light bullets loaded to maximum pressure. By raising the barrel be 0.055 inch in relation to the center of the cylinder the flat on the underside of the barrel to clear the gas ring on the cylinder was eliminated in the L frame. At the same time they enlarged the barrel stub that extends into the frame by IIRC by 0.02 inch. The result was no more split forcing cones in the Magnums in a revolver that wasn't much heavier. BTW, the greatest weight gain in most of the L frames is due to the full length barrel underlug that is featured on most L frames. However, the 686 Mountain gun which features a Tapered semi lugged barrel is listed at a weight of only 32 ounces, which is actually 2 ounces LESS than the weight of my 4 inch tapered barrel model 67-1 K frame. However, I have a sneaking hunch that when that 686 Mountain gun was actually weighed it didn't have the grips mounted because I would expect that with the standard Hogue rubbers it will actually weigh in at 34 to 35 ounces, basically the same as my 67-1.
Old September 1, 2020, 07:28 PM   #9
AzShooter

Congratulations on your purchase of one of the finest revolvers on the market. I've had mine for so long I don't even remember when I picked it up new. It's had many thousands of rounds on it and works great.

I use DS-10 speed loaders and loading blocks so that I don't have to put those little .22s in one at a time. It's more accurate than some of my autos and it one of the guns I make room in my bag for whenever I head to the range.

I'm sure you will enjoy yours.
Old September 4, 2020, 07:32 AM   #10
Tygus.Shooting

Congratulations, Cheapshooter!

I was wondering when you would decide to post the S&W that the evil gun shop lady let you have on your last trip up north!

It's almost impossible to find anything that's not to love about that new 617!

I own a Model 17 10-shooter, and I prize that particular revolver for its reliability and accuracy.

I hope you manage to take it to the range soon, and let us know how it performs.

Have fun, my friend!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!