The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 13, 2020, 03:34 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Any Galil owners here ?

As I contemplate getting a 5.56 I find myself looking at the Galil because it's steel receiver appeals to this Neanderthal. Any thoughts or comments ?
Old July 13, 2020, 06:15 PM   #2
50 shooter

I wish I still had mine!

Used to have one in .308 and I would take that rifle into combat against most. It has to be the finest example of an AK out there. Israel took the best features off of a couple different rifles and made one great one.

Best folding stock, great pistol grip, night sites, wire cutter and don't forget that all important bottle opener!
No time for rearranging.
Old July 15, 2020, 04:59 PM   #3
hank327

I have an original IMI Galil ARM in 5.56 that I bought new back in the 80s before AWB. It’s a very high quality rifle and very accurate for an AK style rifle. That said, it weighs a ton. I haven’t weighed it but it probably weighs well over 10 lbs with a loaded 35 round magazine in it. The tritium in the night sights went out long ago and you really can’t mount an optic on it. I much prefer my Arsenal SLR 104FR in 5.45x39 that is essentially a folding stock AK-74M
to the Galil nowadays.
Old July 15, 2020, 06:34 PM   #4
viciouskitty

I have a golani Galil clone, it’s a fun gun to shoot. It’s a heavy but reliable weapon. Mine shoots around 2 inches with most 223 ammo with some groups going slightly smaller. I did have a rail welded onto the gas block to allow the mounting of a red dot. This has worked out rather well and really ups the usability of the rifle. I imagine if you went and got the real deal it would be even better. Overall it’s a great alternative to just having another AR if you’re looking.m for a 223/556 fighting rifle.
Old July 16, 2020, 08:31 AM   #5
hagar

Got one built by Elite Firearms on an IMI Sporter receiver, and also one of the Golanis. Both shoot great. Back in the 90's I shot an R6 in South Africa, wish I could have brought it back to the US!
Old July 16, 2020, 04:37 PM   #6
highpower3006

I have a couple, both are kit builds from back when APEX had kits for under $300 with the option of including a NOS Israeli Galil barrel for an additional $90. I used CNC Warrior receivers and managed to source NOS handguards, pistol grips, front sight/gas blocks and other parts to the point where there are very few used parts on them. One I made into an ARM (the bipod model) and the other was built as a standard AR. I had the original Galil markings engraved on the ARM but elected not to have the AR engraved.

They are heavy but very smooth shooters.

Old July 16, 2020, 09:12 PM   #7
scott56

High power, you really need to sell me one of those Galils! I don't want you feeling guilty or anything! Just thinking of you man!!!
Old July 19, 2020, 03:34 PM   #8
mellow_c

You really should buy one. AR-15s are cheap and plentiful. Best to buy the oddball stuff now in my opinion, before it gets even more expensive. I remember when you could pick up a Galil for $300, and people would say, “why buy one of those old heavy rifles with no rails when you can buy an AR?” The answer to that is because they are really nice to shoot, Iron sights are fun and functional, they are reliable, and they are really neat rifles. They cost more than ever now, and who knows, they might keep going up.

Get a Galil now and save the AR for later.
Old July 20, 2020, 09:52 PM   #9
jonnyc

I carried M16A1s and Galils, and Glilons in the IDF. In training and combat, the M16s of the day were junky jam-a-lots, and I was happy to have a Galil/Glilon/Mag58. Today's ARs are a totally different animal. For runnin' and gunnin' I wouldn't touch a Galil/Glilon, just to heavy, with too many pointy bits. I have 6 modern ARs and I wouldn't trade a one for a Galil variant.
Hey, just sayin'.
Old August 18, 2020, 06:50 AM   #10
oprod

Who needs a scope? LOL! They are smooth shooters. Great butstocks, I like the way they come with bipod that nicely folds into hand guard. I enjoy the convenience of .223. And the best feature has got to be the integrated bottle cap opener in the bipod.