The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 18, 2018, 12:36 AM   #1
Sevens

-LEGENDARY- handguns that you think are over-rated

Unfortunately... I think it's difficult to have threads like these because they breed arguments, but the optimist in me hopes that we can make it a page or three before we choke the life out of ourselves.

Seems to me that some absolutely iconic handguns can just be overrated, given piles of praise that just seem to be more sizzle than steak.

Here's a few I'll start with:

Combat Magnum, S&W Model 19
Actually, all the K-frame .357's. In my view, "jack of all trades and master of none" and the legend is made up of the first half of that phrase but it's the second half that sticks out to me. To me, 19's, 66's and 13's/65's also are at their best when they have a price tag or being gushed over on a forum. Where they don't shine as brightly is during live fire.

Browning Hi-Power
Can: open, worms everywhere. Sorry, though these are gorgeous and the textbook definition of iconic, they make my list. First time I ever saw one field stripped and learned the design of trigger interacting with sear, I honestly thought it was a joke. Could that REALLY be the design? And the almost univerally loathed magazine disconnect and the "mouse trap" magazine answer to the problem cause by the disconnect? Wow.

Colt Python
Okay, in the snake gun resale market, maybe this was an easy prediction for "overrated", and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the market is my biggest motivator for calling the Python wildly overrated. I am fortunate enough that I own a couple of guns I totally adore of which only a few hundred or less were made... makes me wonder if guys who support the Python market with their money care that Colt made more than half a million of them. Rarity often drives collectible value, but rarity is often an afterthought when it comes to the mighty Python.

I don't hate any of these. They are iconic, classic, beautiful, world famous, pedigreed and plenty of other well-earned superlatives. I just think they are overrated, too.
Old August 18, 2018, 01:23 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

THE Overrated Auto Pistol

The Luger pistol. Fascinating, kinda pretty, but prone to malfunctions for a variety of reasons.
Old August 18, 2018, 03:13 AM   #3
Model12Win

The Glock.

Bulky, ugly, horrible trigger, poor ergos, look awful.
Old August 18, 2018, 04:53 AM   #4
rc

Colt Python

686 is a stronger gun that can take steady magnums. So is the GP100. rc
Old August 18, 2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Oldman11

The sw k models,except the k.32 masterpiece.
Old August 18, 2018, 05:57 AM   #6
CDW4ME

Revolvers
DA/SA pistols
Anything chambered in less than 9mm
Old August 18, 2018, 07:18 AM   #7
claydoctor

Agree on the Glock. Loved shooting it until I noticed, that after about two magazines, my finger was sore as hell from their "safe trigger". Can't understand why Raylan Givens carries one.
Old August 18, 2018, 07:24 AM   #8
FITASC

Colt 1911 - over priced and over rated until you drop $$$$$$$$$$$ to make it better.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2018, 07:27 AM   #9
TXAZ

+1 for Glock.
But why is it so popular? Low price wins in large contracts, making it popular with the purchasing agents.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 18, 2018, 07:35 AM   #10
jr24

HK USP (all variants)
- over priced, bad triggers, even more 2x4 like than Glocks.

COLT 1911s
- over priced for the features you can get, especially with the MIM and plastic included.
Old August 18, 2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Carmady

IMO the RG14 doesn't live up to the hype.
Old August 18, 2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Nathan

Wow!

I will argue the s&w K frames. They were absolutely great guns during their day. The trouble is, 6 rounds was ok for that time period....and to be honest 6 rounds of well placed 357 mag is a lot of firepower. Where these guns fail the test is when we apply them to modern gun fighting theory including double shot tactics and being over run by aggressors. In it’s time, still great.

I do agree that the browning high power does little for me. It’s story is about time and place. If you wanted a 9mm auto at that time, it was the best. Now days, the trigger is not acceptable for an SA auto.

Glock is over rated. Glocks are popular due to intense marketing of the USA to police decision makers, along with low price(police bulk cost 50% of market price) and low operating expense(cheap parts without fitting). The biggest sham is the USA. On the positive side, it has driven companies to produce a good durable black finish.

The original m&p...how could s&w release a gun with that trigger.
Old August 18, 2018, 10:20 AM   #13
P-990

Sevens, I actually do agree with you on the Colt Python right off the bat. They're very, very nice guns, in my experience, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Colt V-spring action is less robust than S&Ws system. This is nothing to do with frame strength either, which I think confuses some folks when the idea of the "weakness" of the Python comes up. Rather, it's that famous Colt "bank vault" lock-up. There are small parts holding the cylinder in place at the moment of ignition, then taking the force of recoil from the cylinder. (Where-as on a S&W the hand is safely out of the way during ignition and recoil, letting larger parts take the punishment.)

And it's not just the Python, it's any old Colt revolver with the same action (Official Police, Police Positives, etc). Most of the ones that I've looked at have had evidence of going out of time.

I also might agree with the K-frame .357s being slightly over-rated too. Having had a 4" S&W Model 19, I can say that the size and weight are great for carrying around. Extensive use of .357 Magnum ammunition may be too much for that frame size.

Glock might not be over-rated, they've certainly earned their reputation somehow. But perhaps "over-hyped". I find it difficult to get excited about Glock releasing "new models", because in reality it's just being able to buy the same truck with a 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engine in short or long bed options.

H&K USPs are definitely over-rated in my experience. The standard models tend to have triggers that are just usable. Something about the recoil system on the full-size guns makes them behave weirdly under recoil in my hands. And the grip shape, combined with the weird recoil and huge slide proportions just makes the entire system not particularly shootable for me. I'll never argue their robustness or reliability though.
Old August 18, 2018, 10:36 AM   #14
jmr40

1911 and anything in 45 ACP. Not that they don't work, but both are highly over rated.

I sorta like the Smith K and N frames. I've had a few L framed guns as well as the GP-100 and came to the conclusion that I'd just as soon have one of the N frames. Not that much bigger and the N frames are lighter.

I have as much sentimental connection to my Glocks as I do my hammers. I don't love them, but sure do respect them. They would be the 1st gun I'd reach for if wolves were at the door. Over rated or not.

Winston Churchill
Old August 18, 2018, 11:05 AM   #15
black mamba

For me it's the Colt Python, without a close contender. The wide flared grips make it almost impossible to shoot accurately, and the pull rather than push cylinder latch is a complete headache.
Old August 18, 2018, 12:03 PM   #16
Nodak1858

I'm going to vote the K frame. I usually don't like to jump on the what's over rated or the worst threads but this I am not a fan. But I picked up a 38 Special Victory a couple years ago, good shape, and a good price. But I do not like the grip, I shoot it poorly. I have many other revolvers, DA , SA but this SW I can't get to like. I don't shoot it much, I do like it because it goes with my other WWII guns, but it's not the first thing I grab and ptu in the range bag.
Old August 18, 2018, 01:16 PM   #17
ChuteTheMall

Anything with a picture of a horse on it is over-rated.
Old August 18, 2018, 01:29 PM   #18
mk70ss

Glocks. Yes reliable and tough. Ugly, crappy triggers, zero personality.
Old August 18, 2018, 02:25 PM   #19
PushPuller

Glocks! So far everyone above who also voted Glock as overrated has pretty much covered how I feel about them. Zero personality, bad triggers and the ergonomics are just awful in my opinion.

Berretta 92s are another semi iconic handgun that iv tried multiple times to enjoy, but find the end result to be lack luster.
Old August 18, 2018, 02:44 PM   #20
JJ45

The 1911s I have or have had...I like them for their triggers, feel good in the hand, concealability, etc. but their reliability has always been suspect...I had a Colt 1991A1 that was heavily customized by Alchemy Custom (now out of business) but quite reputable.

Part of the customization was a reliability tune and they even asked what mags I would use (7 round, intended for ball) and what ammo (mostly 230 ball)...the pistol was always good for a failure to feed or eject occasionally, despite correct shooting form.

I used it in a trade....I still have a Colt LW Commander .45 which has never been jam free and a Springfield Mil Spec, the most reliable of the three 1911s I have had. I do carry the Colt occasionally but I still cannot fully trust the design. This is based on my experience.
Old August 18, 2018, 05:24 PM   #21
tallball

My inexpensive "GI" 1911 has never malfunctioned in the five or so years that I've owned it.

My three Glocks have pretty good triggers and I shoot them well.

My Browning Hi-Power is actually a Hungarian clone. The trigger is so-so, but in the 30 years that I've owned it, the only time it's malfunctioned is when I tried to feed it a $5 box of Chinese 9mm ammo. I am 6'6" with very large hands. It fits my hands well. My neighbor is 5'6" with stubby finger even for his size, and it's also comfortable for him.

I have several S&W Wesson K-frames. The K22 Masterpiece is well-named. The Model 14 is very nice. The ancient M&P is about as good as you would expect for a revolver that's over 100 years old and has been shot a whole lot - the sights are tiny and the trigger is a bit stiff, but it goes bang every time and shoots where you point it.

No one has convinced me so far.

Last edited by tallball; August 18, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old August 18, 2018, 07:30 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I had a Colt 1991A1 that was heavily customized by Alchemy Custom (now out of business) but quite reputable.
That was the problem, not the design. I refuse to say the legendary 1911 is over rated. But the expensive custom, and high end manufacturer 1911's with there fine fit, finish, and close tolerances are very over rated. If a 1911 don't rattle when you shake it, it ain't reliable. If it ain't reliable it isn't worth the money you paid for it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2018, 08:00 PM   #23
603Country

I’ve had a Python for almost 40 years. A wonderful shooter. Great SA and DA trigger pulls. Has Pachmayer grips now. It isn’t for sale, so I don’t care if it’s considered overpriced. Recently I bought a S&W 686 Plus, and it had to go to the gunsmith to be as smooth as the Python, and it’s a nice revolver but it’ll never be as pretty as the Python.

As for accuracy, I’ll say that in SA the two guns are equally accurate with me shooting. In DA the Python is much easier to shoot accurately.
Old August 18, 2018, 08:15 PM   #24
amd6547

I find it a specious post.
These supposedly overrated handguns have been tested and found suitable in the crucible of war...issued to amateurs, and chosen by experts.
They shoot just as well today. I owned and carried several HiPowers over the years. Not a jam or malfunction with any of them...not the pitted ex-Nazi, not the Chinese Inglis, not the FEG clone. Certainly not the ‘73 Belgian. They all worked.
The British SAS made quite a name for themselves with the HiPower. Overrated? I don’t
think so.
The same could be said of all the weapons listed.
Old August 18, 2018, 08:25 PM   #25
FITASC

Quote:
Where these guns fail the test is when we apply them to modern gun fighting theory including double shot tactics and being over run by aggressors.
But who really finds themselves in this "fighting" scenario?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa