The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever accidently discharged your handgun?
Yes, I did. 236 29.80%
No, never. 556 70.20%
Voters: 792. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2, 2009, 11:17 PM   #151
5whiskey

Never had any form of ND/AD, but I've always been more than paranoid. I've been teaching the GFs son (probably be step son in the future) how to shoot lately. I've not been lax with gun safety, but I haven't drilled it into him either. The only thing I've drilled is muzzle control and finger off of the trigger. These are the two most important safety rules... never point blah blah blah, keep finger straight and off the trigger blah blah blah. Those are my sticklers.

Even if you do ND/AD, if you abide by the MOST IMPORTANT RULE, you will be okay.
Old June 3, 2009, 12:02 PM   #152
CorpITGuy

At our gun club a club member found and reported to the club leadership a bullet hole in the blue portable toilet they brought out to the range (there is no club house). As a result of that, they posted a sign on the portable toilet that said: "Use caution: one member has already had an AD in the toilet". I just about laughed my butt off. Nothing funny about AD/ND, but that sign was hilarious.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:33 PM   #153
ArcticNemo

This guy did

This fellow had his the first time he got ahold of a match 1911. They warn not to slap-rack these guns, now he knows why.....and he stays away from the trigger unless actually shooting.

I kinda figure it's like motorcycles; there are those who have wrecked, and those who haven't....yet.
Old June 5, 2009, 03:59 PM   #154
Willie Lowman

Nice hand pics.

I want to say I haven't unless you count squeezing one off during follow through with a 1911. That was enough of a wake up call for me. (stupid extra light single action trigger grumble grumble)
Old June 5, 2009, 07:39 PM   #155
hkkilla

had a ND about 2 months into owning my first handgun. handling my weapon while talking to my 2 year old on the phone and forgot i had put a mag in... no one home but i had to get a new smoke detector... and the girlfriend was slightly less than happy never happened before, hasn't happened since and will not happen again.
Old June 6, 2009, 04:09 AM   #156
Ian0351

I am surprised that only 27.2% of respondents would own up to a negligent discharge...

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Ian0351; June 6, 2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: bad numbers
Old June 6, 2009, 05:06 AM   #157
teeroux

Never with my own guns had a malfunction once with a friends gun that only ruined a table.
Old June 6, 2009, 02:41 PM   #158
Steviewonder1

AD?

Did one in my garage in 1975 getting ready to clean my 1911. Rack slide, drop magazine, pull trigger. 230 FMJ went up thru a vertical 2x4 hit the crossbeam at the top of the wall and the bullet dropped onto the desk 3 ft away on its base. It was loud, it was exciting, it was dumb. I keep that bullet in my range bag as a reminder. I also had a .40 case hit the ejector on my Para 16-40 (while unloading and showing clear) and go bang out of the chamber in 1998. Bullet dropped to the ground, case had a piece of shrapenel slice a 1.5 inch cut in my upper right chest. I keep that case also as a reminder. I had the Para fixed with an extra wide ejector. It draws a lot of attention from the HR Department at work when they get a copy of the insurance form that states cause of ER Trip is "Gunshot wound to the chest". I told them I shoot in competetion and was on my own time (a vacation day) out of state in my own vehicle. They were satisfied.
Old June 6, 2009, 03:05 PM   #159
MLeake

27% is high

I'm surprised anybody thinks that 27% having a negligent discharge is low.

These days, an ND in theater can get you kicked out of theater. There is next to no tolerance in the active duty military for ND; in fact, an ND in the clearing barrel will generate unwanted attention and paperwork.

Funny thing, though, in the course of several months working with a task force several years back, I only recall two NDs.

Look at this another way; if the poll is predictive of the general population, and if we have tens of millions of gun owners out there, there are a frightening number of NDs happening.

Look at this another way; an ND is similar to a gear up landing in an aircraft. Both result from skipping a step in what should be a standard procedure. Can you imagine 27% of retracting gear pilots forgetting to lower the gear?
Old June 6, 2009, 04:55 PM   #160
seanie

Quote:
27% is high
Let's not forget that not every registered member on the forum is voting on this thread
Old June 7, 2009, 12:12 AM   #161
rampage841512

Hadn't had one when this thread was first started, and still haven't had one almost a year later. Considering I've been shooting since I was four years old, that's twenty years without a ND/AD. And I'd say that's just the way it should be. Here's to another twenty years.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:01 AM   #162
Lost Sheep

27% is both high and low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0351

I am surprised that only 27.2% of respondents would own up to a negligent discharge...
Ian,

This just goes to show how misleading statistics can be.

The sampling of members was bound to attract a scewed selection. (Not that TFL members are skewed in any way, just the way the original post was worded).

I would expect the original post would attract more respondents who have had ND/AD events. I would expect the figure to be higher because of that.

The willingness of people to tell on themselves would tend to push the number lower.

I did not pick "yes" or "no" because I am unsure if my ADs qualify. They were at a range, while the line was hot and did go downrange. Just not exactly when I intended, or precisely where.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), or it might have been Benjamin Disraeli who said it first, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics." Statistics can readily mislead, even unintentionally. (Would that count as an accidental lie?)

Lost Sheep
Old June 7, 2009, 12:09 PM   #163
onthejon55

Never the handgun but the rifle...
Old June 7, 2009, 03:38 PM   #164
ronto

Nope...Never did and probably never will

You would have to try real hard to AD a DAO snubbie with a 16 lb. trigger pull.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old June 11, 2009, 12:52 AM   #165
cloud8a

over 10 years ago I bought my 1st weapon, an Astra A-100 .40. Since it was my first gun I always wanted it out, I always wanted to look at it and hold it. I would take it apart clean it look at all the parts. I would load the magazine rack one into the chamber and practice holding it.
One night I had a few beers and had the magazine loaded and one in the barrel. I would pull the mag out and rack the pipe out and then practice dry fire. After awhile I was watching T.V. I was holding the gun next to my left ear with the barrel facing the ceiling, my finger was on the trigger. POP, the cat takes off my ears are ringing.
my first thought "I shot the gun, it went off" Oh god I thought I had to look at the hole on my ceiling to believe it. My next thought was "I am that guy now, the stupid moron jerk idiot, the irresponsible jerk that almost killed myself because I played with a gun" right after those thoughts I got sick and realized that I almost blew my head off.

I put the gun up and did not even want to look at my shame. The next time I touched it I sold it to a pawn shop. I thought I do not not deserve to own a gun I am taking the privilege away from myself. I am clearly a reckless jerk.

Five years later I became a level 3 security officer and carried for an armored car company and then carried during Katrina. When my gun is holstered it stays holstered, when I remove it after work I go through an obsessive routine that includes removing the slide among other things that assures me the gun is not loaded. The gun does not get touched or handled unless work cleaning or range.
That was one of the single worst day of my life. The sickness I feel every time I touch my gun today is a reminder to be over strict on fire arm safety.

It is always too late once that gun goes off.
Old June 11, 2009, 02:12 PM   #166
sclay

I have had 2 AD's with handguns.

One was trying to de-cock a colt 1911 one handed. I did have it pointed in a safe direction.

The one that I learned the most from was dry firing an "unloaded" .380. I was (absolutely 100% poitively) sure it was empty. Pulled trigger and "boom" a hole trough the floor of my house. Fortunately that was in the days of shag carpet, so until now I was the only one who ever knew.

But very important lesson learned.

sclay
Old June 14, 2009, 04:05 AM   #167
Peptobismol9

eh sort of

It wasnt my handgun and I was young. All I know is it was a 45. tarus. I cocked it. And turned my hip slightly to adjust my aim a little to the side, and my elbow bumped my dads back. The round hit the wall.
Old June 14, 2009, 04:19 AM   #168
DougO83

I was loading a .30-.30 Winchester 1894 and the dern thing went off in my hand. I had slid three rounds in and was going to add a fourth. No, finger wasn't anywhere near the trigger. Scared the dog mess otu of me, dad, younger brother, cousins and everyone else at the lease. I was inside loading because it was raining.

Casualties: A broom, my dad's sleeping bag, a closet wall and door, a mattress, and my ability to condemn anyone else for their stupidity...

Matt 6:33
Old June 14, 2009, 10:26 AM   #169
MLeake

Talked to a friend in FL yesterday

He lives a few miles from the nuke power plant at Crystal River. No, he doesn't glow...

Anyway, he has a gunsmith friend that does some custom work for him on his rifles from time to time. Apparently the gunsmith got shot by an ND/AD at a gun show last week. Guy with a booth across from his was handling a .32 auto of some sort, and fumbled it. Dropped the pistol, which fired when it impacted the floor or table, not clear which. Shot hit the gunsmith in the thigh. Gunsmith tourniqueted himself with his own belt.

I have no idea why the .32 auto was loaded. At a gun show, it should not have been; at least, the shows I've been to, all weapons had to be unloaded, with zip-tied triggers.

My friend's gunsmith buddy is supposed to make a full recovery. He is not planning a lawsuit. I hope this means the venue and the negligent vendor already offered to cover medical and lost work costs. It would be nice to think people would voluntarily do the right thing.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:28 PM   #170
digdeep74

complete stupidity

I was extremely stupid once while building my 2nd 1911 and blew a hole in my floor ,i wish i could tell you i was doing everthing safely but its not the answer im giving.
I was cycling live rounds to check my extractor tension and for some reason i ejected my magazine i thought i had cleared the round out of the chamber,but i was wrong.(stupid stupid stupid)
Luckily i wasnt "as "stupid and a had the gun pointed at the floor,pulled the trigger boom.My wife still gives me grief for this and i beat myself up over it everytime i handle a gun.BELIEVE ME I WONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN!
I have since purchased dummy rounds and a new pair of boxers to replace the ones i **** in!
Old June 15, 2009, 10:10 AM   #171
Enoy21

I have only done so at that range and the gun pointed down range. More so it was a surprised discharge due to slightly too much pressure on the trigger on the follow up round.

Now ... My GF , the first time we went shooting didn't realize how sensitive a single action is , and discharged in an upward/sideways direction and really scared the hell out of both of us. To this day she is much much more respectful of guns. As well as a great reminder to me to be sure that someone knew to a type of gun is well aware, of the issues.

Last edited by Enoy21; June 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:02 PM   #172
MagnumWill

I've had one or two rounds get away from me while I had the gun pointed downrange, but nothing I would call a bona fide ND.

HOWEVER- I came within ******* distance of an ND with my GP100 one time. I'm VERY O.C.D. about checking the gun to make sure its not loaded, especially before i clean & dry-fire it. However, one time I had gotten back from the range, cleaned up the gun, reloaded it and put it in the closet. The next time I got it out (to give it a good cleaning, i was bored) I swung open the chamber and dumped out the .357s like I always do (no extractor rod, they all just fall out). Didn't bother to see that only 5 came out. Picked up the gun a few seconds later, and decided to start cleaning the cylinder first. Swung it open, and staring me in the face was the last .357, in the 2 o' clock position in the cylinder. One dry fire would have sent that ****er through the wall. Now I check OBSESSIVELY- even if I SEE that it's fully empty, i work the little rod and everything, and immediately fill with snap caps. I ONLY dry fire on snap caps with my GP now. It's almost a burden to know that dry-firing won't hurt it, it gives you that much more chance of an ND.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:34 PM   #173
MagnumWill

Quote:
Next time you're at the range, look up in your booth and see the ceiling pockmarked with bullet holes starting just a few feet in front of your station.
just read that
+1

I've always seen those, and thought, "What the F***????" I really hope I never add to them.
Old June 23, 2009, 02:17 PM   #174
doc540

Yes, I did.

An AMT .380 Backup

Inside a bank

In the bank president's office with the door open

During business hours

It was loud.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:18 PM   #175
ROGER4314

Never had an accidental discharge in over 40+ years of sport shooting.

Had a shotgun (Rem 11-48) go off with an unlocked bolt AS I WAS TRYING TO PULL THE BOLT HANDLE OPEN (finger off the trigger). It was purchased used and very dirty. Lesson learned: buy it, clean it and inspect it as it is being cleaned before you fire a shot.

Also had an M1 Garand "double" on me a couple of times. Replaced the trigger sear parts. Lesson Learned: do not oil the sear surfaces of a Garand. Oiling marginal parts will cause doubling.

I also carry with a fully loaded pistol and have never had an accident in almost 5 years of CCW.

Flash

Tags
accidental discharge , negligent discharge