The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 12, 2019, 01:34 PM   #1
LogicMan

Oregon Senate Bill 501

Hey all, thought I would post this just so those in Oregon are on alert:

Oregon Anti-Gun Bills

Bill 501 is the most crazy, it restricts you to five round magazines and a limit of purchasing only 20 rounds per month (!!!).
Old January 19, 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
ADIDAS69

I do love that these bills get introduced and the leftists then wonder why the discussion becomes hyperbolic.
Old January 19, 2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Pahoo

The blind, leading the blind ???

Quote:
would define many commonly owned semi-automatic firearms as “assault rifles,” prohibit young adults under the age of 21 from receiving such defined “assault rifles,” require firearm transfers be delayed for up to 30 days
Looks like I won't be recommending the 10/22's any more. …….

Be Safe !!!
Old January 19, 2019, 05:00 PM   #4
cjwils

Quote:
would define many commonly owned semi-automatic firearms as “assault rifles,” prohibit young adults under the age of 21 from receiving such defined “assault rifles,"
Washington state has already done that. Passed by a wide margin of voters statewide, driven by the urban counties. I suspect that if 501 fails in the OR legislature, there will be a movement to do a statewide referendum, as was done in WA.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:52 PM   #5
rickyrick

Ain’t freedom grand?
Old January 19, 2019, 08:33 PM   #6
rickyrick

Just got an email stating that Washington is trying to introduce a house bill and a senate bill banning the sale of assault weapons also.
Old January 20, 2019, 01:05 PM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Ain’t freedom grand?
Quote:
Freedom and democracy are different. Democracy addresses how affairs in the public sector will be conducted. Democracy is greater when individuals vote on those matters assigned to the public sector. On the other hand, freedom is concerned with the relationships among people in the private sector. Freedom means individuals may choose how to interact on a voluntary basis outside the purview of the state.

In short, democracy means you get to vote in the public sector; freedom means you get to determine the terms of your interactions with others in the private sector.
Just for info.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 20, 2019, 04:49 PM   #8
rickyrick

Yes, freedom is what everyone decides it is. These days, the extremists get to decide for you.
They are attempting to ban items people have safely owned and used for well over a century.
It is getting well beyond ridiculous now, but it’s just the way the country is going.

Most of the country’s gun owners feel comfortable with the freedoms that they currently enjoy. It’s only temporary. Your gun rights will go too.
5 rounds magazines and twenty rounds a month is ludicrous, but it will pass; maybe not in the legislature but certainly when given to the people to decide.
The American people simply doesn’t want guns in private hands.
Old January 20, 2019, 11:04 PM   #9
raimius

I'd hate to see it passed, but it would be a great (ridiculous) case to try to get in front of SCOTUS.
Old January 20, 2019, 11:19 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So we keep hearing, over and over. Like other BIG LIEs, if people keep saying it, people will eventually believe it is the truth...

When it comes to our gun rights, we are, at the moment, in a rather unfocused point in time. And what I mean by that is that about the only thing in our news is the criminal misuse of guns by a very very tiny percentage of our population.

Anyone remember the thunderous silence from the gun ban crowd following 9/11/2001??? A very few of them even admitted that they had been wrong to believe private firearm ownership was the greatest threat to our way of life.

Seems that, if we don't have an enemy without, to focus on, people will focus on an enemy within. And many well funded people are identifying gun owners as the enemy within. It's a lie, and they know it, but that doesn't matter to them, only to us...
Old January 21, 2019, 08:21 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Yes, freedom is what everyone decides it is. These days, the extremists get to decide for you.
They are attempting to ban items people have safely owned and used for well over a century.
It is getting well beyond ridiculous now, but it’s just the way the country is going.

Most of the country’s gun owners feel comfortable with the freedoms that they currently enjoy. It’s only temporary. Your gun rights will go too.
5 rounds magazines and twenty rounds a month is ludicrous, but it will pass; maybe not in the legislature but certainly when given to the people to decide.
Yup, in some places but short of storming into the streets gotta be that person that does his best to support those you agree with and try to get them elected=democracy..

Most americans favor some of the same things..
Quote:
Many gun policy proposals are politically divisive, but there are some on which Republicans and Democrats agree, according to the fall 2018 survey. Around nine-in-ten Republicans and Democrats (both 89%) say people with mental illnesses should be prevented from buying guns. Nearly as many in both parties (86% of Democrats and 83% of Republicans) say people on federal no-fly or watch lists should be barred from purchasing firearms. And majorities of both Democrats (91%) and Republicans (79%) favor background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows.
I don't think
Quote:
IMHO, Of course.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 21, 2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

From my reading of more unbiased research on gun attitudes, I take away that if you ask generic questions:

1. The majority of Americans support the right to self-defense with firearms.
2. The majority want measures to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals and those with severe psychological problems that predict violence

It is still really unknown if there is wide spread support for an AWB, mag limits, higher cap guns limits or the like. Those opinions can be so swayed by the question and a moral panic due to an event.

A prime example is Trump and bump - he panics.

So, having some kind of bland gun at home is probably ok with the majority of Americans.

I also don't think SCOTUS will overturn the myriad state bans despite the fantasy of Kavanaugh being the messiah or Moses of gun rights, leading the court to overturn all those existing lower court decisions.

Last, the professional gun rights organizations are fairly clueless on a persuasive message on why the higher cap guns should be protected for folks outside of the committed. Nor do they have a strategic view on expanding support for such outside of the already committed.