The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2017, 01:17 PM   #1
ItsThatGuy

Background check was delayed for firearm. Will misdemeanors cause me to be denied?

Recently I went to purchase a Taurus G2 from my local pawn/gun shop. The background check came back delayed, but I have an idea why. I was wanting to gain some insight. Also I live in Mississippi.

In the last 6-8 months, I've ran into some bad luck, mostly cause I need to watch who I let in my vehicle. Certainly not letting them in my car anymore. Here's a quick timeline:

1) 10-12 months ago - I was charged with possession of paraphernalia cause one of my dumbass friends left a used bong in my car. I got pulled over and the officer searched the vehicle cause the smell was permeating through the trunk. He found the bong and charged me with possession of paraphernalia. It's a misdemeanor and I only had to pay a fine and it was dismissed. No conviction for sure.

2) About 6-8 months ago - I picked up my brother and his friends. I was taking my brother home and giving his friends a ride home. One of them smelt like weed, but I was just hurrying to get his friends and here they had to go and out of my car. We get pulled over, car searched, and his friend had weed on him. He was 17 so I get charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. Plead no contest and just got a fine.

3) About 5 months ago - Same dumbass friend who got me in trouble with the bong leaves a small baggy of not even .3 marijuana. Sure enough, I get charged with Possession of Paraphernalia. It wasn't even enough to get me for possession, or the officer was being nice. I've already been to court and I only have to complete 3 drug tests then it'll all be dismissed. I'm getting my record completely expunged afterwards for everything.

I figured this caused the delay. But after seeing the "unlawful user and/or addicted person" of the FBI's webpage regarding delayes and prohibited users, I couldn't help but get paranoid. Some important points, I've never been arrested nor convicted of possession of any controlled substance. I've only been arrested for marijuana paraphernalia but not convicted. Never been arrest/convicted for any felonies, domestic violence, or any violent, theft, or weapons charges for that matter. I've never had to go to a probation office, sign any probation papers, get a probation officer, etc.

Anyways, my main concern is the background check for the purchase of a gun. Will I be ok? Do y'all think I'm going to be denied? Do y'all know what Mississippi considers a prohibited person? Will this make it difficult to get a concealed carry license as well?
Old April 9, 2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Eazyeach

I've got no idea if that makes you a prohibited person or not. But if you do get your gun please get some training and never let your idiot friends know you own it.
Old April 9, 2017, 02:52 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

If you're looking for opinions on this, I'd say "three strikes you're out" here. That's a lot of "bad luck" for one person to have. It's not looking good. You'd be better off seeing a lawyer in your area than asking on the internet. All the advice you get here is worth exactly what you pay for it......nothing.
Old April 9, 2017, 03:09 PM   #4
JimPage

^^^^ Good advice.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 9, 2017, 03:22 PM   #5
jbarbourtrim

And maybe find some new friends...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old April 9, 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Mike38

In two of the three instances, you could smell marijuana, but proceeded anyhow? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, I'd reevaluate myself. Your best bet, contact a Mississippi lawyer for advice. The NRA can direct you to pro second amendment lawyers.
Old April 9, 2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

To echo what has already been said, you NEED to see a lawyer. Nobody here can really advise you.

And aside from not letting certain people in your car any more, change your driving habits. I'm 73 years old, spent a number of years building and driving race cars as a hobby, and in the 57 years I've been driving I've received one warning and two speeding tickets -- one of which was dismissed in court. You've been stopped three times (at least) within six months? That's a problem.
Old April 9, 2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Frank Ettin
Staff

Yea, the OP needs a lawyer. There's nothing we can do for him here. We're done.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread