The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2017, 09:21 PM   #1
g.willikers

Designated Survivor tv show pushes gun control

Anyone watching this show?
We were up until last night.
They were pushing for more gun control, using the same emotional rhetoric as we've been hearing for decades.
Maybe the shows bigwigs think they can salvage an agenda that didn't win the election.
It could be interesting to see what effect it has on their audience.
Old April 6, 2017, 09:56 PM   #2
North East Redneck

Never heard of it before. After looking it up and seeing what network broadcasts the show, I'm not surprised that it is anti gun.
I would think only dedicated and knowledgeable gun owners would even care what the show has to say on 2nd related topics. I see a lot of apathy from those not seriously engaged in gun ownership and gun use.
Old April 7, 2017, 06:01 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What is this "tele vision" of which you speak?
Old April 7, 2017, 08:26 AM   #4
2ndsojourn

What do you expect from the uninformed left wing extremist media?

On the same note, one of the cable channels ran "Killing America: Guns, Greed & NRA" last night. If you haven't seen or heard of it, it pretends to be a documentary but is too rife with misinformation and twisted statistics to merit anything you'd call fair and balanced. Propaganda at its best.
Old April 7, 2017, 11:06 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Kiefer Sutherland is as leftist as his da. He's also the show's producer. That makes him the show's Biggest Wig.
He's another 'actor' who made his name playing with toy guns on TV but thinks you shouldn't be allowed to own 'em.
Old April 7, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

It is standard network dogma to have gun control messages. Also, use of civilian guns for self-defense are usually portrayed in a negative light.

In a way, it's amusing. I'm a fan of Arrow but skipped its gun control episode.

In Arrow, they had show threads were bad guys would take over the city. They usually were armed with swords and bows. In one episode Arrow implored the citizens to fight and some showed up with clubs.

Why don't these shows take place in something like a Texas city where tens of thousands EBRs would make mince meat of 100 ninja dudes hopping and skipping around. I never understood those shows were a bad villain takes over a city. Maybe a gun unfriendly place in NY, MA, CT, MD, etc.
Old April 7, 2017, 03:38 PM   #7
RoughDivider

I actually thought the Arrow episode was fairly well done as far as gun control can go on national television, what with different characters expressing feelings on both sides of the issue and then working with the gun rights lobby in the show toncome to mutually agreeable laws, I think it was preaching more on working together than anything IMO.
Old April 7, 2017, 05:46 PM   #8
dakota.potts

That's just the way Hollywood is. It seems there are only a certain scenarios where good guys with guns are allowed to be civilians.

Watch any show where a character saves the day with a gun and see if they don't talk about that person being law enforcement, military, dad was a cop and taught him how to use a gun, etc.

It's also funny to me how many guns happen to be "registered" even in states where that doesn't exist, like Florida. They try to make the delineation between a "registered" gun and a criminal gun not realizing that good guys don't register their guns either.

Just gotta accept it and move on if you enjoy Hollywood productions. Actors and creators from shows including gunfight packed shows like Hell on Wheels and Sons of Anarchy come out against defensive gun ownership. On the plus side, you have guys like Keanu Reeves and Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon on the Walking Dead) who are big into guns themselves to kind of balance out the mix.
Old April 8, 2017, 01:50 AM   #9
patrickmn

Arrow's gun control episode was balanced so well I was amazed. Regular citizens defending their city was a theme of the episode. They had main characters take very pro-gun positions, including pointing out that AR-15s aren't machine guns and support for concealed carry. One character even made an argument for allowing dishonorably discharged people to own and carry guns. When nearly every show that involves guns ignores the pro-gun side, Arrow was right down the middle. I kept waiting for everybody to decide to ban guns at the end of the show, but they didn't even go with registration!

I saw part of the episode of Designated Survivor. It did seem they were leaning towards gun control, but I haven't seen enough of the series to know what was going on. Isn't Sutherland's character against gun control? That's how I took it from what I saw.

Even when shows ultimately have an anti-gun bias, I think anytime the pro-gun argument is presented is a good thing. Somebody might hear both sides and at least start thinking and studying the issue outside entertainment shows.
Old April 8, 2017, 06:19 AM   #10
OS11085

They can talk gun control all they want I ain't buying it. I just watch the show for entertainment.
Old April 8, 2017, 08:13 AM   #11
redlightrich

I saw that. Typical. Let the left start by making the use of firearms, and their likeness prohibited in any broadcast, or the big screen.

That would be a great first step.....Let's start with that step in gun control. We already have mountains of laws prohibiting other aspects of firearms, while Hollywood makes billions of dollars using firearms ( and their likeness) to make sensational and violent movies, which are viewed by impressionable youth ( and some adults too) .

Maybe it's time that they look in their very own yard.

God bless America, land that I LOVE
Old April 8, 2017, 10:59 AM   #12
buck460XVR

It's T.V. They show folks that ride motorcycles as drug-dealing, gun-running, prostituting pimps that break every law ever written, while the majority of folks that ride 'em are everyday, average law abiding citizens. They show married couples as either having a shortage of intellect and/or are continuously messing with their best friends spouse. How about any T.V. show about ranchers farmers? Just a bunch of hicks that eat only meat, swear too much and drink any beer/whisky they can get there hands on........24/7/365. For the most part, especially drama series type T.V., it's make believe, entertainment and only the very uninformed would consider it as informative.
Old April 8, 2017, 11:23 AM   #13
g.willikers

When a show crosses the line from entertainment to propaganda, it's time to recognize what it truly is.
Old April 8, 2017, 03:23 PM   #14
rickyrick

I stopped watching tv. Nothing but a propaganda arm for desired political party. Just reality, no conspiracy theory, just a fact of modern life.
Old April 8, 2017, 04:24 PM   #15
Itsa Bughunt

Crime drama movies and TV shows would be 15 minutes long if the victim had a gun.
Old April 9, 2017, 08:48 AM   #16
Gunplummer

I don't watch much TV, but what you are talking about is dangerous stuff. Take a good look at the protesters rioting at political rallies. Most are young people that learned this crap by watching the tube, the net, and movies. I remember a news article that stated Sweden (Or one of the northern tier countries) had banned "The Teenage Mutant Turtles" from the air waves in their country. Apparently, a couple 5-6 year old's threw stones at a little girl and killed her. The reason: "Saw it on Teenage Mutant Turtles". Young people's minds can be bent by about anything. Pokeman? Why do you think Democrats wanted free college for everyone? Have you listened to some of the losers coming out of our institutes of higher learning?
Old April 9, 2017, 10:26 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
When a show crosses the line from entertainment to propaganda, it's time to recognize what it truly is.
And it is propaganda when they don't present stuff the way we like it.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:50 AM   #18
jdc1244

Quote:
Designated Survivor tv show pushes gun control
And?

The Supreme Court has consistently held that the Second Amendment is not ‘unlimited’ – that government is at liberty to enact regulatory measures with regard to the sale and possession of firearms.

Consequently, there is nothing about advocating for reasonable ‘gun control’ that is unwarranted, inappropriate, un-Constitutional, or ‘anti-gun.’

Indeed, the program as referred solely to background checks, which are perfectly appropriate and Constitutional, in no manner manifesting as 'pushing.'

The ‘emotional rhetoric’ is mostly coming from supposed ‘defenders’ of the Second Amendment – those who use demagoguery, hyperbole, and misinformation to propagate fear and ignorance.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:52 AM   #19
g.willikers

Quote:
The ‘emotional rhetoric’ is mostly coming from supposed ‘defenders’ of the Second Amendment – those who use demagoguery, hyperbole, and misinformation to propagate fear and ignorance.
Who are you describing?
It does sound familiar somehow, but is it us?
Sorry to disagree, but the gun control as presented in the show was a lot more than just about background checks.
Did you watch the show?

Quote:
And it is propaganda when they don't present stuff the way we like it.
It's less about who likes what, but rather does it present a recognizable agenda?

Last edited by g.willikers; April 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old April 9, 2017, 11:11 AM   #20
g.willikers

Almost forgot,
In the midst of the story of terrorist attacks,
Murder in the White House,
Treason
Secret government
Other pertinent and scary subjects,
This episode is mostly about gun control for US citizens.
What was that all about?
Old April 9, 2017, 11:31 AM   #21
Eazyeach

Sub-plot. I liked the show in the beginning but I'm not sure I can keep watching. Not because I disagree with gun control, but because I'd rather watch a 2 hour movie and not a long drawn out series. A series has to grab ahold of me and this one has not so far. I'll give them one more week maybe.
Old April 9, 2017, 11:32 AM   #22
rickyrick

If you think the main networks are not a propaganda arm of the Democratic Party, then you need to look around.

Join democratic groups, go to their rally's and protests, read their books, go to their campaign offices, become Facebook friends with them and join in their discussions.You will see. Don't worry about the constitution, they don't want it.

You can find out easily what is going on, if you cross over. It's easy to do if you have benign social media accounts.

You have to get information from both sides to see what's really happening. I see a lot of assumptions out there, the true intentions are actually much worse than what most people assume.
Wait till next election, if we even get there.
Old April 9, 2017, 11:33 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244
The Supreme Court has consistently held that the Second Amendment is not ‘unlimited’ – that government is at liberty to enact regulatory measures with regard to the sale and possession of firearms.
"Consistently" implies that there has been a series of consistent Supreme Court decisions all holding that the 2A RKBA is not unlimited.

Aside from the fact that I disagree with that position (based on the clear language of the 2A), I recognize that the nine (or eight, until tomorrow) black robes have final say and I don't. But ... other than Justice Scalia's execreble "existing presumptively lawful regulations" clap-trap in Heller, where's the trail of other SCOTUS decisions that have "consistently" held that the RKBA is not unlimited?
Old April 10, 2017, 08:07 AM   #24
2ndsojourn

"Have you listened to some of the losers coming out of our institutes of higher learning?"

Gunplummer, maybe that's part of the plan. Keep indoctrinating more and more of the populace with free brainwa....erm...I mean free tuition and you get more voters on your side.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:21 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It's less about who likes what, but rather does it present a recognizable agenda?
And it is an agenda if we don't like it. It is never an agenda if we do like it.
Closed Thread