The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2017, 11:08 AM   #26
DPris
Member Emeritus

I was told March or April on availability.
Denis
Old March 17, 2017, 12:53 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Wow.
Things haven't really changed much.
Old March 17, 2017, 03:33 PM   #28
DPris
Member Emeritus

No, but the green Jello's much improved nowdays.
Denis
Old March 20, 2017, 08:53 PM   #29
Uncle Malice

These have been available to build yourself for years. I built mine in 2012.

I picked up a 500 Cruiser, ordered the 14" 590A1 front end from mossberg Directly, and added the Shockwave grip.

This is a much cheaper option though. The only thing I don't like about this version is that the grip apparently fixed and non-removable. I kept my old Cruiser parts so I can convert it back if I want to.

Shockwave does make a cap that you can use on a regular 500 cruiser where you can hacksaw the barrel and mag tube, then mount the cap with a pin instead of ordering the front end. This is a much cheaper option. I don't think it looks as nice, but it does let you continue using the larger hand guards. I'd love to be able to use the Magpul hand guard on mine, but it's too long. Oh well.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

This is very much legal. They are not AOW or SBS. They are a "Firearm" as a shotgun must have a shoulder stock, by definition... and being over 26" puts it outside of the AOW category. Thus, it is simply classified as a firearm.

Here's mine.

Old March 20, 2017, 11:13 PM   #30
ChuteTheMall

I'd hate to have to explain all of this to an unenlightened small county sheriff's deputy who might decide to hold me in custody until his bosses can sort it all out.....and BATFE might change their mind at an inopportune time.

I do appreciate everyone who is making this commonly acceptable.
Old March 21, 2017, 08:33 AM   #31
Uncle Malice

That's why we keep a letter from the ATF on hand to show them that this is fully legal.

This isn't really one of those things that they can just change their mind on... like the shouldering the arm brace on the pistol/sbr's... Unless they rewrite the laws, it's pretty cut and dry.

I never saw any issues result with law enforcement back when we all first build these 5 years ago... I did see people getting harassed by their ranges. Hillbilly range nazis that couldn't read too good kept telling them that they couldn't shoot it there unless they had a stamp... even when presented with the ATF letter.

Seems that has died down a lot these days. Especially with Mossberg dropping a factory version, that shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old March 21, 2017, 01:01 PM   #32
TruthTellers

If I want as short a shotgun as possible, I'd rather get a KSG. These pistol grip only shotguns have never been easy to shoot guns and, this is hard to believe for some, you do have to aim a shotgun.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one, I'd rather have a KSG or SBS another shotgun and spend the $200 on that, however SBS isn't legal in every state, so I can understand the appeal to the Shockwave in that it's likely legal in all states.
Old March 22, 2017, 02:29 AM   #33
TruthTellers

I've given this some thought and I'm actually warming up to the Shockwave for a few reasons. One being that all that this is lacking from being a SBS is a buttstock. If there's a way to put a stock on it (which I'm unsure there is) this makes for possibly the best shotgun... I mean "firearm" to convert to an SBS because the whole front end remains the same; there's no need to saw or cut the barrel down.

If it's possible to put a buttstock on it, all you do is send the paperwork to the ATF and after you get approved, you just find any old buttstock for a Mossberg 500/590 and attach it.

Also the price doesn't look to be that bad.
Old March 22, 2017, 08:07 AM   #34
Model12Win

Well all I know is that if Mossberg doesn't start shipping these soon, I'm cancelling my reserve order at Buds Gun Shop. I've waited 2 months already, it's getting ridiculous. This gun has no R&D involved and there is no reason for the delay. One more month and I can get the 100% refund from Buds.
Old March 22, 2017, 12:22 PM   #35
armoredman

I can see these being very popular with the Mad Max crowd. Interesting toy to keep in a bug out bag, as well, for the "Z***** Response Teams".
Honestly, might make an interesting firearm to use in an armored truck, with the easier to move characteristics, and you don't aim much out of a gun port, to be sure. One in 20 ga might be usable, for me.
Old March 22, 2017, 05:43 PM   #36
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Well all I know is that if Mossberg doesn't start shipping these soon, I'm cancelling my reserve order at Buds Gun Shop.
They are shipping. I've seen them on shelves twice. Might be sporadic in distribution, but they're coming.
Old March 22, 2017, 07:00 PM   #37
Model12Win

Quote:
hey are shipping. I've seen them on shelves twice.
When, where???

Are you sure they weren't other companies guns? Keep in mind other companies were selling the same thing made from Mossberg receivers. Now Mossberg is just doing the same thing in house and selling it as the "Shockwave".
Old March 22, 2017, 08:45 PM   #38
Uncle Malice

Quote:
When, where???
Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond, VA posted that they had them in stock as of Friday, the 17th at $429.95. They specifically stated that they are the Mossberg Shockwave.

Numerous other vendors on Facebook and Instagram have been posting them. Seems like they've been showing up for the past week.

I'm sure Bud's probably has a ton of them that they need to get through the books and whatnot. I bet you'll see it soon though.
Old March 22, 2017, 10:15 PM   #39
reynolds357

To each his own, but to me it looks about as worthless as tits on a boar hog.
Old March 23, 2017, 01:37 AM   #40
Bill DeShivs

Guns like this can be fun.
But- it's got to be 26" overall. You could have a 5" barrel and a big long pistol grip. But-why?
Old March 23, 2017, 03:15 AM   #41
TruthTellers

After I posted my thoughts, I came across a video on youtube featuring Ian of Forgotten Weapons. It's his alt channel that he does with another guy and it's called InRangeTV.

Anyway, in the video Ian and the other guy not named Ian shoot a Mossberg Crusier, a 500 with pistol grip only, a standard Mossberg 500 with a buttstock, and a hammered coach gun.

For the first two shots, the Coach gun is the fastest of all three. The one that causes the most missed shots was the Pistol Grip only shotgun, but the Mossberg 500 with buttstock was the best overall performer, especially when it came to getting that third shot off.

The big point of the video is that while one can be good with pistol grip shotguns, they're going to be better, faster, with a buttstock on a shotgun.

Here's the link if interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjThckYqBQ&t=2001s
Old March 23, 2017, 10:24 AM   #42
Uncle Malice

I saw that video. What a terrible technique. Who clears their house with an unloaded chamber, waiting for a threat before racking the slide?

Not to mention, the whole point of these is to make it a more compact and maneuverable weapon inside of a confined space. Sure, my bedside gun is the 20" 590A1 SP. And I have a nearly perfect line of sight from my master bedroom door down the hallways, across the living room, to the front door of the house.

I keep the shockwave in a different part of the house that I could easily access in case of an emergency where I wasn't in the bedroom. It's smaller form factor lets it fit more places and is much more compact for transitioning in and around hallways, etc.

Obviously a shoulder stock is going to make it more accurate. It's also going to add length and bulk to the gun. That's not the purpose of this weapon from my perspective.
Old March 23, 2017, 10:29 AM   #43
Model12Win

Mike, sorry but you're wrong. Ian is a GOD when it comes to guns. Have you seen his videos??
Old March 23, 2017, 12:57 PM   #44
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Mike, sorry but you're wrong.
I assume you're talking to me, but my name isn't Mike. What am I wrong about? Did I say anything that is factually incorrect? Perhaps saying "terrible technique" is subjective, but I'll stand by that statement.

Quote:
Ian is a GOD when it comes to guns.
To you, perhaps. I disagree. There are very few people I would ever dare to refer to that way. Ian McCollum is not on that list.

Quote:
Have you seen his videos??
I have. Lots of good content, for sure. That doesn't make him infallible. I simply think he's approaching it from an way that is incorrect. No one is making the claim that the Shockwave is more accurate or faster than a traditional shoulder stock shotgun... so the "proof" didn't really prove much more than their own strawman argument.

It's a short, compact shotgun platform that can go places a standard gun can't - or can't as easily move. In that role, it's a solid option for having a lot more power than a pistol in a compact package.
Old March 23, 2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Model12Win

For some reason I thought your name was Mike. I didn't read it properly.

Regardless, Ian is an expert on firearms. He has produced HUNDREDS of videos on vintage and modern firearms, and knows his stuff. He is in a word a living legend in the gun community. The video CLEARLY PROVES that a pistol grip shotgun is all but useless in a SERIOUS STRESSFUL shooting engagement at anything beyond a few feet. Even indoors in close quarters, a standard full stock option is going to offer a dramatic increase in shot placement. You might also think that buckshot spreads out to cover an entire room in close quarters, and for that, you are wrong as well (if you believe that to begin with I am just assuming).

I bought my M590S as a pure range toy. I have no delusions about it's use as a defensive shotgun. For that purpose, it is next to useless unless no other option is available.
Old March 23, 2017, 02:35 PM   #46
87samurai

Picked up mine on Tuesday. Runs great with Aguila mini shells(with the OPsol mini-clip) and lo recoil buck shot. Am Going to try a Crimson Trace rail master laser mounted upside down on a weaver scope rail tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shockwave.jpg (138.6 KB, 44 views)
Old March 23, 2017, 03:28 PM   #47
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Regardless, Ian is an expert on firearms. He has produced HUNDREDS of videos on vintage and modern firearms, and knows his stuff. He is in a word a living legend in the gun community.
Whew. You must have a shrine to nutnfancy then.

Quote:
You might also think that buckshot spreads out to cover an entire room in close quarters, and for that, you are wrong as well (if you believe that to begin with I am just assuming).
You know what they say about assumptions...

Considering that I've had mine for over 5 years and have hundreds of rounds through this particular gun - thousands through my main 590A1, I'll take my own training and experience over the hyperbolic statements of a youtube gun expert that was (not) proving a point using a gun totally unrelated to the gun in question.

My 5'1" 114lb wife can even run the thing reliably and engage multiple steel targets.... more reliably than she can with my 20" 590A1 because there's not as much weight up front.

"Beyond a few feet" is nonsense... but once again, I'm not claiming this is a 25 yard gun(though I can hit my steel silhouettes with slugs at 25 yards). But it's utter nonsense that you're telling someone with 5 years of experience on the platform that it's useless for anything more than a range toy because some youtuber made a video showing how he was a few tenths of a second faster with a gun he has decades of experience with, than a gun he has virtually zero experience with.

That proves a whole lot of nothing.

But I'll bow out of this conversation because I'm obviously not going to change your mind here. I do hope you enjoy the gun as much as I have. Best of luck!

Last edited by Uncle Malice; March 23, 2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old March 23, 2017, 05:51 PM   #48
Virginian

Quote:
To each his own, but to me it looks about as worthless as tits on a boar hog.
Not my style either.
Old March 23, 2017, 06:29 PM   #49
Model12Win

Thanks Uncle Malice. I meant you no harm.

I am just miffed that Buds hasn't sent any out yet. Reports are streaming in of guys getting them from elsewhere. It's been two months since I put my reserve order in on Buds. It's getting annoying.
Old March 23, 2017, 06:40 PM   #50
Model12Win

UPDATE: Just called Buds. They said they had an order in for at least 1000 of these guns and so far have only got a couple hundred from Mossberg. These things are FLYING off the shelf. The representative said he plans to buy one in the near future after the initial orders are filled. Hopefully they receive another batch soon, I still have my place in line for one. I am STOKED.

About using it for defense, I did some research and it appears Ian might not be as experienced at shooting this style of shotgun as I originally thought. He even mentions something to that effect in the video. I want to formally apologize to Uncle Malice for acting like a know it all. I fully believe you to probably be a better determination of the defensive use of a pistol grip only shotgun than him.

Last edited by Model12Win; March 23, 2017 at 06:57 PM.