The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 7, 2017, 06:07 PM   #26
stuckinthe60s

any time youre dealing with a rubber o'ring, youre not going to have accuracy.

those tubes/pipes/inserts/adapters were designed for survival situations where someone finds themselves NEEDING to use a different caliber in a pinch.
they were never intended to be super accurate.
case in point...Vietnam, your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
or....youre in the wild west and your 44-40 is all gone. slip in an adapter and use whatever your 6 shooter is geared for. follow me?
plus, whatever the lock up is in the gun it goes in, also determines how accurate its going to be.
been there done all of them...since I was a survival expert in the navy.

today, gun makers are just re-inventing the wheel for a new generation to buy snake oil toys. god bless America. its what makes our nation great. we can do what we want...because we can.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; February 7, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old February 7, 2017, 08:23 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
I've got to get my hands on that adapter, or even just a print
Old February 8, 2017, 11:02 AM   #28
dogtown tom

Quote:
stuckinthe60s
....case in point...Vietnam, your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
Sooooo...............what Russian military ammo was 5.56 diameter?
If you had a chamber adapter that could allow you to shoot 7.62x39 ammo through an M16 with a 5.56 chamber..........it would likely also allow me to fart diamonds.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 3, 2017, 01:53 PM   #29
TruthTellers

I just got back from the range and shot the adapter I posted a picture of earlier in this thread. Long story short, using a shotgun with front AND rear sights, I got groups at 25 yards of about 1.5 inches.

One thing to note is the adapter shot about 6 inches below POA. My sights aren't adjustable, so the only way to get to POA is to mount a red dot on my shotgun.

Besides that little issue, I'd say it's pretty damn good if you ask me, I can't wait to try the adapter out at more than 25 yards. I'll post a longer, more in depth review of the adapter and the performance later.
Old April 3, 2017, 02:42 PM   #30
SIGSHR

I have several for military cartridges-7.5 French, 303 British, 7.92 Mauser, etc
purchased from a now out of business company. As note, accuracy can be so-so, as with so many things I wonder if judicious handloading would help, especially better bullet selection, a better bore diameter match, also a longer bullet . They allow for "gallery shooting" where use of full size rounds is not permitted.
Old April 3, 2017, 10:42 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
Quote:
I've got to get my hands on that adapter, or even just a print
The "adaptor" is simple, dismount the 5.56 from your trigger finger and mount the AK or SKS that is laying around with the dead bodies and Russian ammo..
Old April 4, 2017, 05:38 AM   #32
Hal

Quote:
If they worked well, their reputation would be far and wide not to mention manufacturers would offer them as well. (They don't)
That right there.
Old April 4, 2017, 09:07 PM   #33
Itsa Bughunt

Might be ok for a TEOTWAWKI stash.