The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
rangermonroe

223 reloading

Launching a new caliber for the ranger.

What powder do you guys recommend?

I will be shooting 55gr sp/fmj out of a 1-9 twist 24" barrel. (thanks DanielBoon)

I load some of my other rifles with imr 4896 and h 4831.

I am going to load up some 'rainy day' ammo and would like to set up my powder dump to work with whatever powder you guys come up with.

Thanks.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
castnblast

Benchmark...May not be in all the manuals yet, but Mr. Awesome22 and myself have had excellent luck w/ it in our 22-250's. the powder can actually states 223 and 308 as it's excellent calibers. 25.6 gr. is said to be pushing a 55 gr. 223 at 3264 fps. It zips a 223 40 gr. bullet along at 3666 fps. These are max loads, so make sure you reduce by 10% and work up.

The stuff meters real good. take a look at these pix

Last edited by castnblast; January 9, 2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: critical item left out...
Old January 9, 2007, 04:42 PM   #3
castnblast

I don't think the image showed on the previous reply. The powder on the left is Benchmark. The Powder on the Right is IMR 4064. Benchmark is extruded and highly resistant to variations in temp, but meters like ball powder. I think you'll like it, and get some nice groups w/ it.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:53 PM   #4
rangermonroe

Thank you very much. I shall try it.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:21 PM   #5
amamnn

For that bullet in that rifle, W-748, RL-15, and H335 are all good powders. I've a lot of different powders for exactly what you're going to be loading and those 3 stand out. H335 is a popular match powder, I've found it to be of consistent density, both grain to grain and lot to lot. The RL-15 is perhaps the most versatile of the three. The W-748 is probably stocked by more dealers.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
castnblast

amammn...You ought to explore this one (benchmark) too. Hodgdon claims that there is only an 8 fps variance over a 125f temperature spread. That's incredible. They also claim that it is one of the most consistant lot to lot powders on the market. Time will tell if this is marketing or not, but so far I'm extremely impressed.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Catbird

I've used W-748 for many years and see no reason to change.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old January 10, 2007, 05:22 AM   #8
Powderman

Var-get!!!

Seriously, I have had good luck with 25.0 grains of Varget with that bullet. If these are to be fired in a semiauto, remember to use a firm crimp to prevent bullet setback. I have also used IMR 3031 and BL(C)-2 with excellent results.
Old January 10, 2007, 09:00 AM   #9
shooter_john

W748

I shoot 25.0g 748 in my 55gr plinking loads.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:03 PM   #10
cheygriz

I've tried them all in half a dozen .223s over the years, and nothing I've found can beat H335.
Old January 12, 2007, 07:16 AM   #11
Toolman

Here's what I use; H335, BLC2 & WC844.

I noticed your shooting a soft point bullet. Be careful if shooting them out of a AR. The soft points can get shaved & those slivers of lead can get into the bolt lug locking area causing the bolt not to lock 100%. NOT GOOD.
When shooting soft points in mine, I load them by hand, one at a time.
Old January 12, 2007, 02:14 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
I noticed your shooting a soft point bullet. Be careful if shooting them out of a AR. The soft points can get shaved & those slivers of lead can get into the bolt lug locking area causing the bolt not to lock 100%. NOT GOOD.
When shooting soft points in mine, I load them by hand, one at a time.
BS! If your AR is shaving lead from soft pointed ammo, get it fixed! Or buy a better rifle! It also could be a magazine issue, some of the cheaper mags have bad feed lips/followers.

I've used several different powders, H-335 seems to be the best for all bullet weights. For blasting/fun ammo I use surplus WC-844. Varget works best for 60 grain on up to 69 grainers, my 1-9 twist will NOT stabilize the 75's. I just bought a pound of benchmark, I want to try it for 55 grainers, both soft points and FMJ.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 12, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Daniel BOON

fun with the AR15

heres my answer to plinking fun.......don't reload it. remington/winchester sells 55gr fmj for 5 bucks a box; and the once fired brass i can trade for powder.
at one point i did reload for it, but after reading about barrels blowing up from reloads, I decided to just shoot factory.
I'm glad we made that deal RangerMonroe, have fun, and buy you son an acceptable scope
Old January 12, 2007, 09:29 PM   #14
Toolman

Hey Snuf, lighten up!,,,,,I didn't say his gun shaved lead. I have no idea what gun the guy is shooting. There have been incidences where it has occurred & I just wanted to let the guy know to be careful.