The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 6, 2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Badhandgun007

RG34S Pistol 8 shot .22 Caliber aka Rohm

I recently purchased a 8 shot .22 caliber pistol. And while doing some research online. I recently came across the fact that it is a "Saturday night special". Now after reading about this. Im wondering, can I still safely shoot it? Or should I just sell it and move on? Also what more can people tell me about this one in particular. Because the one mostly mentioned was the RG10. And while also researching I could only find information on the RG34T. But none on the RG34S. So any knowledge about this gun would be greatly appreciated. Also I have fired the gun before maybe putting 20 rounds through it.
Old April 6, 2017, 11:17 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Rohm revolvers were cheaply built with cheap materials, and are generally not found in great condition.

Your best bet at assuring safety of the revolver, is to take it to a good gunsmith for an inspection and cleaning. ...Though it's quite possible that the cost of cleaning and inspection could exceed the cost of the revolver; and the gunsmith may declare it 'unsafe' simply because it is a Rohm.

(I once owned an RG30 [.32 S&W Long]. Even in decent condition, it was garbage. Even worse than Cobra firearms.)
Old April 6, 2017, 02:08 PM   #3
RKG

I would be greatly surprised if a competent gunsmith would offer an opinion on the "safety" of a R&G revolver. Paperweight.
Old April 8, 2017, 09:53 PM   #4
oldcabin

Ok.. buddy had a Rohm semi auto .32 I think. Something small. Given or found, he had some ammo for it and asked me what I thought. I read alot here and shared what I learned:

It's a giant poop and will probably jam and worth nothing. And could break and possibly hurt him.
I told him to trade towards anything- - ammo, gun, a cheeseburger, whatever he could get. All that said, with a bit of a laugh, I told I bet it would fire and jam on the second round. It was a discussion amongst friends and became a joke.
I did tell him to clean and lube it first, give it a once over.
Sure enough weeks later when we had the chance to fire it, it did chamber and fire, and then fail to feed and jam. I won the bet, and we all laughed quite a bit.
Old April 8, 2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Model12Win

They're awful. Just awful. Proof that Germans don't always make great stuff.
Old April 11, 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
Dave T

Quote:
They're awful. Just awful.
Any further comment would be a redundancy.

Dave
Old April 11, 2017, 10:56 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

At the risk of redundancy, a comment or two. Germany came out of WWII with a desperate need for hard currency and with her industry largely demolished. Röhm, which began producing cheap cast blank firing pistols, recognized the seemingly insatiable U.S. market for guns and, trading on the German reputation for high quality firearms (our troops had just spent 4 years on the receiving end of German guns), began to make revolvers. The German proof authorities did a lot of "looking the other way" as tons of junk made its way out of Germany to the world.

A combination of laws (the GCA '68 was originally aimed (pun intended) at the RG-10 and guns like it) in both Germany and the U.S., plus a growing customer awareness eventually eliminated most of the junk from the U.S. market.

Jim
Old April 11, 2017, 11:41 PM   #8
roashooter

edit...nevermind
Old April 12, 2017, 12:35 AM   #9
Rob62

Welcome to the forums.

In answer to your question - if you need this gun, or think you may need it to defend yourself or a loved one - get rid of the Rohm revolver.

Rohm revolvers have a justly deserved reputation of being poorly made.

And that statement falls way short of what I want to say about them.

Regards,

Rob