The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 21, 2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Roshi

Applied, now the wait begins.

I've been a lurker on here for a long time. I just applied for my C&R FFL. I'm looking forward to a quest for a Polish Vis 35 (Radom), Tokarev, and an Inglis Hi Power.

I had a C&R FFL in the 90's when collecting 1911's but they were sacrificed in a divorce.

Nearing retirement I'm ready to have a few guns to clean up and admire.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:09 PM   #2
emcon5

Not that much of a wait any more. Used to be you had to wait a couple months just to get the form, with the printable PDF form, that is not a problem, and ATF tends to turn them around in about a month.
Old January 22, 2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Roshi

A bit confused

I saw an article in Guns Surplus 2017 that said fingerprints were required but from what I read on the ATF site that is not true for C&R, only for FFL.

When I received the forms packet from ATF there was no enclosed fingerprint card and nothing about one in the instructions.

I did use the PDF form and that made the process much easier.
Old January 22, 2017, 01:24 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Note that in some states, the C&R FFL is not recognized for purchase of a handgun, so the buyer has to go through the usual dealer paperwork, etc., anyway. That is the main reason many people in those states don't bother getting the C&R license. Contrary to what has been posted on this and other sites, having a C&R license does NOT override or nullify state or local purchase requirements, so where those exist, one cannot "get around" a state or local law or "bypass" a dealer by getting a C&R license. Whether the state bans use of a C&R for receipt of a firearm or allows receipt but requires state action (e.g., state registration) varies, but be sure you don't make assumptions that could get you in trouble later on.

Jim
Old January 22, 2017, 02:09 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...and an Inglis Hi Power..." Hi. Few and far between these days. I'm hearing unbelievable lies about numbers that start with 4. They're really not a big deal either except for only being made in 1944(mine is a '44 vintage) and '45. Sights are crappy as well.
Anyway, there are a couple on Gunbroker for reasonable money. One's a Chinese contract style with the stock for $1499. Ends today though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614089668
Old March 13, 2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Roshi

The wait begins again

I called today and they have never heard of me. They have not charged my credit card.

Coincidentally, two weeks after I sent the application, my credit info was stolen and used fraudulently. I can only assume it was stolen in route or at the destination. I didn't like putting all my info on a mail in form.

I have reapplied with an attached note of explanation and paid by check.

I've learned a lot about the guns I'm after and where to look for them so the time hasn't been a total waste.