The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 7, 2011, 01:03 AM   #1
troopcom

Alabama's Immigration Law

What is your thoughts about the law and why do you think that way? I will share my personal views later, but just getting things going right now. And by the way, where does the news media get their poll numbers from? I have yet to submit a vote to a news media company such as Fox, CNN, or MSNBC. Guess where I live your opinion don't matter, or it's all a sham! I think its a sham, made up poll numbers.
Old October 7, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2
orangello

I like the law & hope every other state soon follows the same example & has a judiciary with the guts to back up the people of the state.

However, i'm not sure how it impacts firearms, so i'm betting this thread will be short-lived. IB4TL I guess, i would wonder what all the illegals will do with their firearms? I certainly wouldn't want to cross that border unarmed, but i wouldn't want to get caught illegally possessing a firearm either. Maybe those nice people at the ATF can help them get their firearms safely south of the border; i hear they have learned a bit about how that works now.
Old October 7, 2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Illegal is illegal.

Illegal aliens are, by definition, criminals. The only government benefit they should receive is a one-way ticket back where they came from.

My wife is a LEGAL immigrant. It took us a long time to get her here legally, and it took us four YEARS to adopt our daughter (international). I have no sympathy or tolerance for those who try to beat the system by just sneaking across the border.

Beyond that, I think we need limits on legal immigrants. Australia, for example, requires that you show a need for people in your occupation. This country doesn't need any more Quik-Mart clerks, Econo-Lodge owners, or Subway shop franchisees.
Old October 7, 2011, 01:25 PM   #4
hartlock

Well, just heard on the news, at lunch, that the Obama
administration is asking the powers that be in Alabama,
to not enforce this law. I dont know how much pull he
had in Alabama, but that is what they are asking.
Old October 7, 2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Kinda hard to talk about something that you know nothing about... And no, it's not up to me or anyone else to "look it up."

Troopcom, post a link.
Old October 7, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6
divil

Quote:
Beyond that, I think we need limits on legal immigrants. Australia, for example, requires that you show a need for people in your occupation. This country doesn't need any more Quik-Mart clerks, Econo-Lodge owners, or Subway shop franchisees.
Believe me, you have them. It's very difficult to get a permanent visa for the US, even when you do have skills that are required. There is an absolute cap on the number of such visas that can be issued every year,set by congress as far as I know, so the majority of people who are qualified, who's personal skills have been certified as being needed by the government, and who have job offers and sponsorship still have to wait up to 7 years!

Where I come from, a lot of people emigrate for work to the US, Canada and Australia - and the US is by far the hardest place to get into!
Old October 7, 2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Isk

I find this whole immigration argument to be very interesting. We originally set up the federal government to be the international face of the coalition of "united states". It really has traditionally fallen under Congress's realm to regulate international matters. I'm not sure allowing the states to regulate immigration is what the founders would have wanted.

It is also true that it can be very difficult to get into the US legally depending on where you are from and what skills you have.

I don't know, but do we want to live in a country where the states have power over immigration? I mean, what keeps a state from going the other way (i.e. New York allowing all the illegals they would like)?
Old October 7, 2011, 11:02 PM   #8
JerryM

[I don't know, but do we want to live in a country where the states have power over immigration?]

Yes the states must have that option when the Fed Govt will not do its job.
I very much support the AZ and Alabama laws. With presidents like Obama there must be a way to get the job done, and those states are going to do it as best they can.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 8, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

While I'm somewhat familiar with the AZ immigration laws, I know nothing about what Alabama has passed. Which is what this thread was about, yes?

Troopcom was online earlier (about 4 hours earlier). He was reading this thread. So I know that he saw my post.

Therefore, since he can't be bothered to explain what laws he started this thread over, or post some kind of link, this thread is done.
Closed Thread