The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Whirlwind06

Opinions on Sellier & Bellot 9mm 115 JHP?

I have used the S&B 115 FMC and it seems like a good round. Pretty hot but not +P. Anybody used the JHP? If it is like their FMC I would think it would be a good round.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Watarski

I have unfortunately bought a box of S&B - it was in .40. I had 2 feed issues with that ammo in my Sig P229ST. Those have been the only 2 issues with that pistol, and I have used a wide variety of ammo. I won't use that brand again.
Old March 1, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3
jdc1244

I find it excellent ammo and has worked well in my CZs and Colt 1911s. It’s a little hotter like most Euro ammo and can be found online at a good price.
Old March 1, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Boris Bush

S&B is carried in 66% of my pistols for defense. Very accurate and reliable. CIP standards are consistant, and better than SAAMI which seems to set the standard lower every year. Almost all US made ammo is way below the "standard". CIP companies tend to strive for excelence and load to the standard giving those that know, ammo that is up to snuff for real use.

Try it out, if it shoots good you will have a one up in that you can afford to practice with your carry load because you can actualy afford it, and you will know it is good consistant hot ammo.
Old March 1, 2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Sgt.Fathead

I had a glitch or two with S&B ammo but nothing major. If it's on sale I buy the .40S&W and the .25 auto for my little Beretta 418 Mouse Gun. I really like, off topic, the sale cases of their 00 Buck that appear now and again at my local shop, Harry's Army Navy. It's a steal; 12g 2-3/4" 00 9 pellet rounds, 100 pack for $40 even. I have about 800 rounds of it.
Old March 1, 2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Ricebrnr

I've had one and my instructor had several failure to fires. I think the primer or the lacquer on them makes them a little hard.

He was using a CPO Sig (not sure model), it was sent back for work.

I have a Cz75B. I just thumbed the hammer back and gave it another go. Worked fine then. No other FTF's that session.
Old March 1, 2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Wulfmann

The rim on S&B 9MM is slightly smaller than other makers. This can cause extraction problems with some pistols. While it was not a problem with my Taurus PT-92 it was a problem with my Firestar so I disposed of all S&B cases.

Wulfmann
Old March 1, 2008, 02:49 PM   #8
BlitzPig

I've used the S&B FMJ in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP.

Never an issue. Reliable and very consistent round to round.

I didn't know they had a JHP, as hollow points are not legal in the Czech Republic.
Old March 1, 2008, 03:08 PM   #9
EastSideRich

If you're going to carry it for self defense, run A LOT of it through your gun first.
I too have had feed issues, or rather extraction issues with this ammo. I guess its because of the smaller rim on the cartridge. The extractor didn't grab and the next round was jammed up against the empty case still in the chamber (this happened multiple times with one box of this ammo, 3/50 I think). I had to remove the mag and shake the pistol upside-down to get them out. This would be very bad in self defense situation for obvious reasons.
Even if your gun seems to like it, I would recommend getting ammunition from a better manufacturer. If you really want hot loads, just get +P. With the number of people on this forum who have had feed issues and failure to fire, I would say it's not really worth the chance, even if it's a small one, to carry this ammo just because its rated at a little higher pressure.
Maybe I'll start a thread on what ammo people have had problems with and what has functioned perfectly.