The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 3, 2005, 04:26 PM   #1
topspin43

MagTech Ammo

Anybody has an opinion on this ammo? I've been firing the Winchester 9mm ammo (115 grain) I get at Wally-World (100 rnds/$11 bucks) and have been struggling with my groupings being very low (6").

So I go to the range and ask for something heavier (147) and the range guy has just 115s. He says here, try the MagTech. I had low expectations... but great results. Grouping was all over the bullseye at 10 yards. Smaller but smoother bang. Why do two similar cartridges POA/fire so differently? And... how are MagTechs? Decent?

They work for me!
Old July 3, 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
JBP

MagTech is made in Brazil. I use the .454 Casull and .44 Mag ammo. It always goes bang and accuracy is just as good as with Winchester and Remington.
Old July 3, 2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Clone

i test fired some of the Guardian Gold 230gr +p stuff in 45 and it worked well enough. the recoil was noticably harder but thats what i expected. accuracy was on par with my normal CCI blazer brass 230gr plinking ammo. it was a bit dirtier than the CCI but i'd guess thats just the extra powder that makes it +p.
Old July 4, 2005, 06:56 PM   #4
beenthere

Smaller bang

Smaller bang might indicate a little lower velocity. That would keep the bullet in the barrel a little longer allowing recoil to raise the point of impact a bit. High and low velocities and bullet weight usually have some kind of tradeoff as does changing manufacturers.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old July 4, 2005, 11:10 PM   #5
texmex

I've always had good luck with MagTech ammo. I've used it in 45ACP, 357 Magnum and 500 S&W Magnum. Their 45 ACP +P is one of the hottest loads available in that cartridge. The 400 grain soft point in 500 S&W Magnum is not a maximum load, but it is a lot of bang for the buck and the brass is excellent for reloading. I've never had a misfire or deformed cartridge with MagTech.
Old July 4, 2005, 11:22 PM   #6
bluto

I think Mag Tech is a very consistant, accurate ammo. I've shot a lot of it and, aside from being a touch on the dirty side, it works very well in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. In thousands of rounds, I don't remember a misfire.

Oddly, I've had plenty of trouble with WW. Misfires, deformed (unfired!) brass, and poor accuracy.

Another thing I like about MagTech is that they print velocity and muzzle energy of their various loadings on the side of the box. Good stuff.
Old July 7, 2005, 08:04 PM   #7
rmcginley

On 9mm Magtechs

For what it's worth I use Magtech 9mm in my HK P2000. I've had excellent results with them and the clean up afterward is easy...not much fouling.

The price is right for sure.
Old July 7, 2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Jkwas

In my P89, It doesn't seem to be sensitive to ammo manufacturers. I have used the magtech, WWB, Federal american eagle, UMC, and PMC.
In my Revolver, the magtech shoots fine, but I find it to be dirtier than the others. The Federal seemed to be the cleanest. The UMC seemed to have the worst quality control, with several of the 9MM having setback in the cartridge. For the price, I bounce between the magtech and the WWB. But one range north of me requests that you only use their ammo, it's federal, and it's good. Oh, one more CCI blazer. Dirtiest stuff I ever used, smoky too.
Old July 8, 2005, 12:34 PM   #9
foghornl

I've shot Mag-tech in both .357 Mag & 45 ACP. My results: good, consistant ammo, better than most other of the less expensive ammo.
Old July 9, 2005, 08:36 AM   #10
liliysdad

I shoot MagTech almost exclusively in 45acp, 380, 32 S&W Long, and 38 Spl. I have found it to be some of the best range ammo made. Period. It is leaps and bounds better than WWB or S&B. I have never had a bad round, and the accuracy is quite impressive in the 45acp flavor. The brass also reloads quite nicely. I pay 8.50/50 for .45s, 7.00/50 for .32 Long, and 6.50/50 for .380.

I have been considering the Guardian Gold for carry ammo, if I can get my hands on some.
Old July 10, 2005, 01:34 PM   #11
Magnum88C

Magtech is the best of the less-expensive ammo types that I've tried. it's accurate, the loads that I've used have been full-powered loads, and not watered down.
Old July 10, 2005, 07:04 PM   #12
Any .45

Really dirty and they smell really bad, well at least the 9mm that i've shot. Never shot the stuff in any other caliber. As accurate as the wwb.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old July 12, 2005, 09:54 PM   #13
Flashpoint

I use the Magtech Gold +p 9mm in my S9. I've also used them in my M and S 40 but I've shot the 40s up. Can't say I've a complaint.
Old July 13, 2005, 06:38 PM   #14
Bullrock

I used Mag Tech Cowboy Action Loads for the first time today, and found the ammo to be very accurate, and a little cleaner than Winchester CAL's.

I also used Mag Tech .357 ammo today, and shot the bull out of the target. It seems to be good stuff, and I will use it in my semi's soon...
Old July 13, 2005, 07:47 PM   #15
topspin43

Isn't it amazing...

how I could read, study and ask questions... then step in dog poo and find this MAg Tech stuff purely by accident. I love it! And ain't life grand!
Old July 14, 2005, 02:11 PM   #16
BeMan

It's the Wal-Mart

I have been told by my Indoor Range that ammo sold by Wal-Mart is sub standard. The story goes that Wal-Mart pays low bid for ammo and firearms, and low-bid quality is what you get when buying there. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of sporting goods at Wal-Mart. However, I have stopped buying ammo and guns there. I don't know if the "low bid" quality story is true or false, but I don't want to risk my hard earned money on something that could be sub standard. This may explain the difference in your groups.

Tony
Old July 14, 2005, 02:20 PM   #17
Bullrock

BeMan

Quote:
I have been told by my Indoor Range that ammo sold by Wal-Mart is sub standard. The story goes that Wal-Mart pays low bid for ammo and firearms, and low-bid quality is what you get when buying there.
I have heard that, and it's been discussed more than once in the recent past on TFL. I still buy some of my ammo there, and I still don't notice any difference.
Old July 14, 2005, 03:54 PM   #18

I've only shot a couple hundred rounds of the stuff. So far so good. For what it's worth, one of the two ranges that I frequent use Magtech as their "range" ammo.

Ronald Reagan
Old July 20, 2005, 02:23 PM   #19
FLA2760

Re Mag Tech Ammo

Hi
I just shot several magazines of Mag Tech 180gr .40 through my Glock 27 and it was fine. Steve
Old August 25, 2005, 11:48 PM   #20
147 Grain

liliysdad:

I'm looking for some 38 Special 148-gr. Wadcutters for the wife to practice with in a small S&W J-frame. Have you fired anything like that from MagTech and how's the recoil?
Old August 26, 2005, 12:20 AM   #21
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I am on my third case of MagTech in .380 and I have had perfect results so far. I agree that's a bit dirty but that has not been an issue for me. I thought it had alot of muzzle flash when I first started using it but don't seem to notice anymore. On a dark rainy day it looks like a blow torch!

I have used a brick of .22 MagTech. I keep good records on .22 ammo as I buy the cheeper stuff. Some brands are better than others in different guns. Overall, the MagTech .22 has been one of the better brands for me. The MagTech .22 is a little higher in price, but I found it on sale and will buy more when I find another good price.

I Buy the .380 from MidwayUsa.com and the price does go up and down, but when I needed a case, It was always about 6.10/50 and shipping is not too bad as I always buy other things at the same time.

I save all the brass and will soon be reloading it. Most everyone likes the way it reloads.

Wal-Mart ammo...I have compared it (.40) with other ammo shooting from a rest and can't see any noticible difference. I think it shoots better than some of the others. I buy the JHP in 180 gr. and they shoot very well and no complaints here. If I were in the guns and ammo business, I don't think I would mess with subpar product unless I clearly marked it as such. But who really knows for sure???

MagTech A+ in my book
Old August 26, 2005, 05:30 AM   #22
blume357

38 wads

spier & beliet have a 38 wad cutter that is cheap and a light load for even 38's I shoot them in my 357s all the time because I'm a wimp and it's easier.
I get mine from sportsmans guide at right at $7 a box of 50
Old August 26, 2005, 10:26 AM   #23
JR47

I believe that is Sellier & Bellot, from Czechoslovakia? Good ammo.

Magtech has been around for a couple of decades. It's pretty good plinking ammo. I haven't tried any of the personal defense ammo, yet. You won't hurt your weapon with it.

It's kind of amazing to think that Federal, or others, would load special ammo for Wal-Mart. It would require setting up an entire line for this. That alone would eat up any potential savings. Then, I'd be sure to mention the fact that special runs use special serial numbers and ID on the boxes, another non-standard item.

I think that the price difference comes mostly from the fact that Wal-Mart buys ammo by the rail-car full. They also have less mark-up than most smaller stores. Buying direct from the manufacturer also removes a layer of mark-up. No wholesaler/distributor to add their costs on.

Figure it this way. Wal-Mart buys like this, Federal--------WalMart.

The Gun Shop buys like this: Federal-------Distributor-------Gun Shop

Wal-Mart also enjoys the largest discount in volume, even over a distributor. There is a single shipping cost involved, and no extra warehousing fees, profits, etc.
Old August 26, 2005, 11:37 AM   #24
Slip Shooter

I have been using Aguila .38 Special Wad Cutters for almost a year. The brass casing is made for target loads, with two cannelures, the top one set to the base of the bullet. There is a nice roll crimp at the top of the fully seated bullet.

I also have good success at reloading the Aguila brass with Hornady 148 grain Hollow Base Wad Cutters and 2.7 grains of Bullseye. The Aguila load and my reloads both clock at about 660 fps from a 6 inch S&W Model 14-3 K-38. I get 610 fps from a S&W model 642-2, which is a very nice low recoiling load for the Airweight J frame.

I have paid from $6.75 to $7.25 per 50 at gun shows. Local Shops don't carry it.

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:11 AM   #25
liliysdad

Quote:
liliysdad:

I'm looking for some 38 Special 148-gr. Wadcutters for the wife to practice with in a small S&W J-frame. Have you fired anything like that from MagTech and how's the recoil?
Yes. MagTech makes a 130ish gr 38 FMJ that is very accurate, and has super low recoil. I shoot a LOT of it, and it is good ammo. I get it for something like 5.50 a box.