The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 16, 2019, 04:30 PM   #26
dgludwig

I've had a Model 640-1 since I bought it new in 1996. Like my other J-frame, I put Herret "Shooting Ace" stocks on it. The revolver resides in my wife's dresser drawer in our bedroom and the hammerless frame keeps it from snagging various items of clothing should the occasion happen when it needs to be used for self-defense.
This J-frame variant is on the heavy side for concealed carry but if you ever plan to shoot much .357 Magnum ammunition, you will welcome the extra ounces.
Old February 6, 2019, 12:47 AM   #27
Eddietruett

I'm a die hard S&W fan down to the core. I also hate hammerless revolvers. With that being said, I tried a Kimber KS6 and fell in love. While I still prefer a hammer and will own one of the new Kimbers when they hit the street, the KS6 has a trigger design that makes it possible to almost shoot it SA if you want. It is also very accurate and the little extra weight over a J frame makes it a whole lot easier to handle. I carry +P 38's in mine for defense because I see no need for full bore .357 but it would not be hard to handle with .357 loads. I did change the original boot grips for the slightly larger Kimber grips and being able to get that extra finger on the grip makes a world of difference as well. The only negative I can see with the Kimber is the same one I find with all 2 and 2.5" S&W's that the short ejector rod won't fully kick out empties as well as a 3" and above S&W. I'm hoping the new 3" Kimber with the hammer will have a longer ejector rod.