The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
me&my308

need load data for .308 with 110 gr. V-MAX

Does anyone have some load data for .308 using 110 grain Hornady V-MAX?

I have always loaded 155 to 168 grain and want to work up some loads using the Hornady 110 grain V-MAX. I do have the Hornady and Speer reloading manuals, but Speer doesn't list data for the V-MAX bullet and Hornady's doesn't give a correct OAL....as well as always being very conservative in its data. I would like to hear some of your favorate loads with 110 gr. Please include OAL and ave. vel. if you can.

I am shooting out of a 20" FN PBR with 1 in 12 twist.

On hand I have:
brass - Lapua, Hornady, & Lake City match
powder - Varget, IMR 4064, & IMR 4895
primer - CCI BR2

Thanks in advance.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:25 PM   #2
amamnn

http://hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/b...ce452562adce7b
Old August 2, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

me&my308,

What do mean that Hornady doesn't give a correct COL for the short bullet? I have a length of about .92" for the bullet and Hornady's manual's COL of 2.74" for it is probably typical for a pointed bullet in that length range. I'd have to set the calipers on .308 and see where they stop coming down over the point to see if there is more seating depth possible?

Hornady suggests a starting load of 33 grains of H4198, and a maximum of 42.8 grains. Those light starting loads will be a bit more like plinkers, but I would go with that and avoid slower powders.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 3, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
me&my308

Code:
What do mean that Hornady doesn't give a correct COL for the short bullet? I have a length of about .92" for the bullet and Hornady's manual's COL of 2.74" for it is probably typical for a pointed bullet in that length range. I'd have to set the calipers on .308 and see where they stop coming down over the point to see if there is more seating depth possible?
It just seems (2.74") way too long.....I made some last night and seated to 2.64" and that still is less than the diameter of the bullet.

For IMR 4895 it lists a max load of somewhere near 51 grains (at work now so not exactly sure of the exact max load)....but for me using 47.0 grains came half way up the neck and I'm sure was a compressed load......kind of scares me that Hornady says you can get 51 grains in there. Obviously that is not conservative load data......but for the 168 grain A-MAX using Varget, Hornady says the max is 44 grains....but Speer and Varget say 46 grains. I'm just kind of worried with the discrepancies. I will start low and work my way up to resove that issue....but I am still wondering about a OAL....searches on the net show most people are seating around 2.60 to 2.65"

If anyone is intersted in some Hornady 168grain A-MAX loads with Varget and IMR 4064, just let me know....I run them all through a chrono and have some good data.