The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Lee Classic Turret press won't index! Please help!

I have loaded thousands of trouble free rounds, until today that is. In the middle of a batch of 9mm, the press stopped indexing. It won't index at all with any of my turrets, so it's not a turret issue. I took apart the little assembly the rod goes into and nothing appeared to be broken. Can anyone help? I was planning on loading a lot of rounds this weekend, but not if I have to index the press manually!

To make matters worse, Lee doesn't answer the phone, and they don't have an answering machine.

This is the classic turret, the one with the steel frame and 4 hole turrets.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
D. Manley

You've most likely damaged the index ratchet (Part #3567 below). A spare came with the press but they are available for about 2 / $1.00 from Lee. This is normally caused by rotating or changing the turret without first raising the ram a couple of inches to free it up where it floats within the housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leeIndex.jpg (25.8 KB, 519 views)
Old July 31, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
DaveInPA

I didn't do any of that stuff you mentioned but that part may simply be worn out. I'll order some. That had better be all it is!

Thanks
Old July 31, 2009, 06:26 PM   #4
D. Manley

Take a look at the one installed now and see if it's gauled or "buggered up" a bit...while you're looking, note which side of the little rascal faces "up". That's about the only thing that can cause it to stop cycling. Although it does seem flimsy, the part is supposedly designed to fail rather than damaging anything else more costly.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
DaveInPA

I already took it apart, it LOOKS ok, but who knows. I've never seen a new one. I didn't pay attention to which way the raised lip was facing, so now I don't know which way to install the replacement when they get here.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:31 PM   #6
D. Manley

Ask about the orientation when you order. IIRC, the side with the raised ridge on it goes, "up". Just a tip...be careful tightening the screw holding the clamp...it screws into plastic and is easy to strip out. Some people have just replaced the screw with a small bolt of the right length with a matching nut. There's a ton of information HERE in the "Turret" forum.
Old July 31, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
DaveInPA

I have confirmed that it is indeed that thing that's the problem. I used a small piece of electrical tape to "build up" the ID of the piece, and the turret worked, temporarily until the tape wore out. I ordered a whole load of extras from an online shop I've done business with before, since Lee is listing a 10 day delay in shipping on their site right now.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:01 PM   #8
benzuncle

I had the same problem after, I don't know, about 5000 rounds. I looked at the little ratchet piece after disassembling the ratchet and thought it was okay; it wasn't. I tried lubing the rod. I found out when calling Lee that the rod shouldn't be oiled. I then replaced the little square piece with the extra that came with the Classic Turret Press and I was off to the races. I have since ordered a few extras and have them on hand.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
D. Manley

Not a bad idea to have a spare or two but if you're careful about not letting the turret turn (at all) with the ram down, they'll last an amazingly long time. Most folks damage them right at the get-go when new and it just takes a while to show up sometimes. When I first looked at the thing I could'nt believe it would even turn the turret much less, endure.
Old August 1, 2009, 03:10 AM   #10
Antihero47

Man, crazy that you mention this. I am trying to set up the auto index for .45 and started hooking up the auto indexing and the rod would not turn the turret. I gave it some force and totally messed up that little peice, as well as totally stripping out the plastic peice.

What is this store that you orderd from. I had to get a small part from Lee and they charged me 4.00 for a small order fee. They took forever to get it to me too. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 1, 2009, 06:47 AM   #11
benzuncle

Anti, you should have received an extra ratchet piece in your kit. It is not uncommon for this to be thrown away (according to some other LCT owners) because Lee doesn't label it. I ordered my spares from Midway. A word to the wise, Midway has a $25 minimum order. If you don't order at least $25 worth of products they hit you with an extra fee. I add little items like this to an order for that reason as the ratchet is only a couple bucks.
Old August 1, 2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Antihero47

OMG... Thank you so much. I went through my press box that I purchased last year and had to take everything out since i used it to store things... lots of black screws and things...

well, started sorting through it and THERE SHE WAS! that little black peice. I WAS trying to do the indexing with my .308 dies in the turret (I know it wont work for .308). Maybe their a bit too heavy?

This is why I tell my girlfriend not to throw anything away. :P She was hounding me about that box for months now.