The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 17, 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
Prof Young

The "accidental" collector.

So I'm putting my latest purchase into the safe and realize that I now have three semi-auto 22 rifles. Ruger 10/22, Mossberg Plinkster and the most recent addition is a Savage 64. Then it occurs to me that I have no less than three semi-auto 22 handguns. A Buckmark Contour, a Ruger 22/45 and a Taurus PT-22. It seems I've become an collector of semi-auto 22s without intending to be. Hmmm . . . might be fur to intentionally add to this collection. Guess I should not have sold off the Rem Nylon.

Anyone else out there look into the gun safe one day and realize you have a bunch of . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 17, 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

First world problems. Enjoy!
Old March 17, 2018, 11:02 PM   #3
reddog81

It happens... call it collector, call it accumulator, call it whatever... I just like neat/classic guns.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:30 PM   #4
zukiphile

Long ago I promised myself that would not become a collector. I'm a shooter, not a collector I reaffirmed. I sold a bunch of perfectly fine arms because they were no longer my interest. Before I had a family, I could have a bunch and shoot them all frequently.

Life can overtake one so he looks more like a collector than a shooter.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:12 PM   #5
UncleEd

Are you sure you are collecting.

Decades ago a then very old time shooter
expressed the belief that guns, particularly
guns in safes, can have babies.

He was right.

Put two in a safe and a few months later
five.

The gestation period for guns can be very short.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:49 AM   #6
stinkeypete

I think the difference between a shooter and a collector is that when a shooter gets a new gun, he takes it to the range to learn what it’s like. A collector puts it carefully in the safe, never to be fired.

My dad said “guns are to be shot” but he also said “Hey, such a good price on these I had to buy two.” Since he liked Cowboy shooting, it made perfect sense. One often went in his safe, unfired. You might think he was a shooter and a collector.

To make it clear, eventually he’d pass the unfired pistol off to me when I went to visit and we’d go to the range and shoot them, and I ‘d go home with a few extra revolvers.

I’m thinking of my dad a lot lately. Age took a toll on his body and mind, but he still has some clear days. I miss him deeply.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:00 PM   #7
JWT

Guns are more likely to multiply than rabbits.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:07 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

You aren't even getting started yet.
Old March 20, 2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Pahoo

Always room for one more !!!

Prof
By my measure it sounds like your problem is having too much room, in your safe. But be careful as it could turn out to be an arsenal. Now then, there are firearms that will always touch my heart, like SideLocks and SA revolvers. There is always room for one more. Then you have; .

Collectors;
These guys usually concentrate on a particular type of Forearm. This is evolutionary and always is flux. They often buy and sell in support of their collection.

Hunters;
These guys seldom have safes and most of their firearms are associated with hunting. They also tend to get the latest and greatest.

Shooters;
These guys are very loyal and dedicated to their discipline. Usually very opinionated and not very tolerant of other's. They are also very competitive on just about everything they do.

Generalist;
These guys will shoot anything at least once and really don't care what others spend their money on. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 20, 2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Machineguntony

I’ve never really considered myself a collector, either.

It just happened.

Last edited by Machineguntony; March 20, 2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 20, 2018, 04:01 PM   #11
TruthTellers

I have more .22's than anything else, that's just what the .22 rimfire does. I don't mind having lots of .22 revolvers and tubular magazine rifles around because they're useful. It's when I get into magazine fed guns that I say, "I don't want too many different magazines laying around."

The Plinkster is a super light rifle and the 10 rd mags are very skinny and take up no room. The 10/22 is super adaptable and versatile, so it's a no brainier why it's so popular, but beyond those two rifles, I don't see any reason to get into any other .22 rifles that use different mags.

I think given how inexpensive both rifles are, there's no reason not to have both. I've had a Plinkster since I was 13... I mean 18, and I still enjoy shooting it. I just picked up a Ruger Charger and have put a brace on that and will be trying it out soon. Old man Winter just won't cut it out with the snowstorms tho.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:36 AM   #12
F. Guffey

50 years ago I got a prenuptial verbal agreement; I said I would not drink, smoke or mess around, I also said I collect junque, anything old so she agreed.

We got married, a few months ago she asked me if I would consider drinking, I said if the drinking offer had to do with collecting I wanted two vises, smoke and drink, drink and mess around or mess around and smoke but I was not going to give-up collecting for one vise, I had to have at least 2. Anyhow, I am not getting better but she did say if I was not better in a year we could sit down and decide which two vises I would be allowed to have.

I asked, after all of these years?

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; March 21, 2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add give
Old March 21, 2018, 03:17 PM   #13
Pahoo

Not what you say but when and how, you say it

Soon after getting married, I mentioned to my wife that I have one love and one passion. She was my love and guns were my passion. She then said that she wanted to negotiate a bit of a trade-off. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 25, 2018, 09:53 PM   #14
Prof Young

Just added a Marlin 60 . . .

I just added a Marlin Glenfield 60 to the collection. Shot about 60 rounds through it yesterday and love the thing. With open sights, resting my elbows on the bench I was getting two inch groups at 25 yards and the thing ran flawlessly. Fun, fun gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 26, 2018, 08:12 AM   #15
cecILL

Nice score.
Old March 27, 2018, 01:06 PM   #16
PlatinumCore16

Yup, I definitely looked into my safe and said "Hey, there's other guns in here that don't fit."

It's a problem. A good problem, but still a problem.