The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 9, 2018, 04:14 PM   #51
fredvon4

Glen

HUA!

Heard
Understood
Acknowledged
!!!!
Old March 9, 2018, 04:33 PM   #52
Lohman446

I still think the OP is onto something. I don't care if we like it or not one of the premises that the anti-gun rests on is something to the effect of "there is no legitimate sporting use for those types of guns and they are only there for war to kill people"

Harming that premise does not harm our argument.
Old March 9, 2018, 05:35 PM   #53
fredvon4

Thanks Lohman446

I truly do side with Right Shall Not Be Infringed crowd on a very fundamental level

BUT I am also aware that perception and beliefs can fuel love or HATE for some object or activity

I am sincere in the notion that IF I won some 100 million dollar lottery this week a bunch of it would be sent on several passions of mine:

Very good shooting range and club in my county

Very good Model airplane facility and twice a year contests focused on Fast Combat ( a dying sport and personal passion) with giant assed prizes....with that much money I can even get Henry nelson to produce a large run of N36c engines again

Sponsor a National championship multi tiered competition where the HATED gun with high cap mags was needed ----with exponentially larger prizes

Back in the late 70s...my experience, from observation...
Noted Stereo Electronics producer Bob Carver was also a avid model airplane guy ...mostly Combat and he was distressed that American Model Academy (AMA) was moving away from Fast combat to a more safer benign speed limit combat...

In the Seattle area he approached the sponsoring club and offered unheard of prize size...they advertised in National magazines and for a few years got 70 + participants from all over the USA and foreign

I have no clue why Bob stopped sponsoring... I assume his accountants told him (during the later years) economy sucked and his expenditure did NOT promote sales of his product...very good stereo equipment

BUT I do know that the giant prizes took a 20~30 person event to well over 70 and the loss brought it back to 15~20

OK a micro ....not Macro example....but my take away was IF the prizes is big enough a LOT of folks will try

My local competition shooting clubs all are a relevant example in a left handed way

Three gun
Steel Challenge
IDPA

you name it

each has the experts and the new guys try to emulate WHAT IS THE BEST OF THE BEST TOOL

I tend to think a call to ban a Yugo or Corvair as unsafe could pass.. but try to ban a Jeep Wrangler.... REALLY?.....
Come on grin and think about it....

BUTT ugly..not really a good highway car...not a great MPG vehicle, did I say ugly...... They simply exist becaus they are FUN>>>>

disclusure

Wife loves the Wrangler but has a Grand Cherokee
I hate the wrangler buy have a Jeep Cherokee