The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 2, 2006, 02:37 PM   #26
oldbillthundercheif

A relative of mine is a cop up in Indiana and had to be "tased" as a part of the standard continual training program. He is an ornerey older guy and was not looking forward to it...

Eventually they had to sneak up on him to get him because he threatened to take a club to anyone who pointed one at him during the training sessions.

The result: He stumbled, went to one knee while screaming, and pulled out the little doo-dads. Then he tackled the guy who got him (he's a former Nebraska lineman). This upset the younger cops who had the impression that the taser was some sort of wunderweapon. Unfortunately, he said that he felt like hell for days after the incident and was eventually hospitalized for heart problems. He blames the taser.

The department generally uses their tasers in the drive-stun mode and aims for the back of the neck. I'm not sure if that has proven more effective or not. Both methods seem to run a risk of health problems (esp. for crusty old cops).
Old October 10, 2006, 07:43 AM   #27
threefivesevenmag

My friend, a LEO, tased me without firing the gun...just made contact with my arm.

I believe tasers would work if fully deployed, charged, in proper working condition, and used in the proper manner. It didn't feel too great
Old October 10, 2006, 11:38 AM   #28
liliysdad

Im not calling your uncle a liar, but I dont believe it. Any of it. Every department I have ever been around requires officer to sign a Voulntary Exposure Waiver. They absoultely will not risk the civil liabilty that would come with a scnario you described.

Furthermore, if he had been tased by surprise, from behind, he would not have been able to remove the probes, as he would not have known where they were, even if he were able to reach them. Trust me, I know what it feels like, been there, done that. When the 50k volts lights up, you do not feel the probes, at all, period.

As for the Taser causing heart problems, more bunk. More likely is that he is an old cop that has heart problems from too many donuts and fast food joints, and a terrible schedule, like most of us will be one day. The physical exertion is most likely what caused his heart problems, not the Taser.
Old October 10, 2006, 01:28 PM   #29
buckster

Very interesting

The Taser travels at 150- 180 fps. I blocked one recently at our Kung Fu class. That is I swept it aside while also turning sideways. They should travel faster in my opinion. Being an electrician, I have a high body resistance, and that could be a factor in his minimal affect. In my personal opinion, good negotiation skills would be just as good. If a LEO had a taser blocked, the gun would be next. I would not try to block that. Just a civilians point of view.
Old October 10, 2006, 04:51 PM   #30
oldbillthundercheif

I did not say that the taser caused his heart problems, just that he believes that the taser caused his heart problems. I suspect large rations of pork products may have had something to do with it...

The above account is his version of events. Is it 100% accurate?

I have no idea. It's the story he told me so you can take it or leave it.
Old October 10, 2006, 09:17 PM   #31
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Furthermore, if he had been tased by surprise, from behind, he would not have been able to remove the probes, as he would not have known where they were, even if he were able to reach them. Trust me, I know what it feels like, been there, done that. When the 50k volts lights up, you do not feel the probes, at all, period.
Interesting, I agree to some extent, I sure did not know where the probes had hit, I think I grabbed most of my T-shirt in a bunch and pulled. Hell, I was not even sure I had pulled one out for a moment, until I had my regained my bearings. Still I think I had some instinctual idea where it was.

That said I doubt I could have removed one from my back, motor coordination was all screwed up and that's a hard spot to reach anyways. You DON'T feel the probes, I think the nervous system is pretty overwhelmed.

Quote:
The Taser travels at 150- 180 fps. I blocked one recently at our Kung Fu class.
Right.... If that's true I need to learn some kung fu!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")