The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 1999, 02:28 PM   #1
Bob S

I'm looking for a good reliable gun to keep behind the seat of my old pickup truck. And a shotgun could easily fill the bill. Anyone have any thoughts one what type of shotgun would work best in this capacity? (or should I just go with a rifel??...sorry about that shotgun fans!)
Old September 8, 1999, 03:39 PM   #2
pete80

Hey again, well, if you live in a rural town, go with a light rifle like a .22 or even some kind of a .223 Remington. I like the Ruger Mini-14's (even if you only use the 5 round mags!). A nice compact bolt action rifle would suit you well. Also consider the venerable Winchester 94 in .30-30. Powerfull round in a really tough gun, I like the 16 inch model myself (makes more sense in a truck)

If you live in a suburb type area, go with a shotgun, mainly for self-defense purposes. A Remington Express 870 HD (home defense) are great guns a a low price. Tough polymer stocks, bead sites, 5 round capacity. Also, check into the Mossberg 590 A1. This is a Mil-Spec shotgun that passed harsh tests, it comes in several styles with 20" barrels all the way down to a 14" and possibly lower (NFA rules apply!). The 590's carry a tough finish known as parkerizing which could stand up to the kind of harsh treatment your willing to shell out. I've seen the 870 HD run for $289.99 at the local Big Five sporting good store. The Mossberg runs for $369.99. Good luck!
Old September 8, 1999, 06:07 PM   #3
Big Bunny

I suggest a 357/38 spl. secondhand( ie a bit dented so who cares a few more!) Rossi "Puma" in 16"(short stock, saddle-ring) or a Winchester Trapper with a laminated stock, that is, if you have the cash justification.
This calibre can penetrate a cylinder block or vehicle interior/window is easy to shoot in confined positions and has 7 shots available.
As far a deterant value goes a 44 mag L/A or 20" P/A shottie has more sway...bigger hole you see !

Watch out for border crossings, you may forget it is there, but "they" won't believe you !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 10, 1999, 06:06 PM   #4
TEXAS LAWMAN

Bob S

Depends on what purpose you expect the gun to fulfull. For defensive purposes, a 12 gauge stoked with 00Buck & slugs is hard to beat. If you need to hit 4-legged varmints, I'd suggest a scoped rifle in .223, .22-250, .243 etc. For short range rifle work, a Mini-14, M1 Carbine or SKS might do the trick.

My $.02
Old September 13, 1999, 03:45 PM   #5
MountainMan44

RE: Truck guns

A 30-30 will do fine against smaller imported trucks, but I would use no less than a 30-06 for full-size domestics. I know people who have taken diesel dualies with non-magnum calibers, but I would not want to face a charging V-10 with anything less than a .338.

Proper shot placement is key. Check your local traffic laws.

Hope this helps.

------------------
The Second Ammendment is not about the right to hunt.
Old September 14, 1999, 11:17 AM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

well I recall Clyde Barrow was reknowned for cracking engine blocks on pursuing police cars with a 30-06. (Of course HIS 30-06 was a browning BAR with 172 grain machine gun bullets.) But I think a 12 guage 870 with a tungsten penetrator core would be fine for a charging v8, and 30-06 will do especially if you load it with black tipped AP bullets. As far as charging v-10's or Hum-Vee's... Gimmie a .470 nitro express double rifle with AGS tungsten solids.

hahahaha.

All seriousness aside. An 870 or other similar shotgun should suit your purpose for any kind of varmint or game. whether it have wings, 2 legs or 4.

If you aren't interested in birds, a ruger mini-30 would be a nice bet. (it doesn't look threatening until you stick a 30 round clip in it). Its got similar knockdown power as a 30-30 so its big enough for deer.

Or have you considered that the root word of CARBINE is CAR?

Have you considered a marlin camp carbine in 45 acp?? Its cheap and uses 1911 magazines. Stuffed with silvertips or hydra-shocks that's a formidable plinker.

Or a surplus m1 carbine? (though prices on these are going up up up). But with a 15 shot clip its not too obtrusive or "military" looking. Granted the cartridge is underpowered for deer.. but excellent for varmints of all kinds at short range.

Stay Safe,

Dr.Rob

Old May 31, 2000, 10:46 PM   #7
the dude

a 30-30 is a venerable weapon. especially in a model 94. but i think a fn fal that fired 30-30 would be the ticket. as for behind the seat shotguns 12 gauge pump, like an 870, as for a rifle 30-06 or 30-30 with 16 inch ported barrel.
Old June 1, 2000, 09:52 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One truck gun with lots of versatility would be the Savage 22LR/20ga combo. Had one long ago, fitted with a peep sight and sling studs, and Brenneke slugs shot to very close to POI of whatever 22 ammo it was zeroed for.
As I recall, I kept it broken down in an old trumpet case,with a variety of ammo, including #3 buck.