The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2015, 02:22 PM   #1
doofus47

11-48, can I use a non-toxic antimony or bismuth allow shot?

Hey all,
I inherited a Remington 11-48 (12 gauge, modified choke) from my father after his passing. It looked very good for sitting next to the water cleaner for 20 years back at the homestead... I took it apart and cleaned it, but since I'm mostly a rifle guy it's been sitting in the back of my safe for several more years since its arrival.
Well, I finally got it out a few weeks ago to wander around with a buddy who was training his dog. I took some WinchesterX #6 and low and behold I shot some birds. I chalk it up to mostly beginner's luck. Still it seemed to group well out to 30 yards (my longest shot) and was really low recoiling. A real pleasure to shoot.
Anyhow, I might take it out again in the future. More upland and maybe some waterfowl, if that becomes possible. If I do, I'd like to use non-toxic shot for hunting.
Does anyhow here think that an antimony or bismuth allow non-toxic shot would be damaging to this barrel?
Old January 26, 2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Bake

You need to determine what choke your barrel has using today's modern ammunition. When you Dad's shotgun was made, ('48 to '68) those barrels were very tight, compared to the chokes of today.
Old January 26, 2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Virginian

Antimony is not a non tox alternative, it is used to harden lead shot.
Bismuth, Nice Shot, and Kent tungsten matrix are safe non tox alternatives in guns not rated for steel. Remington used to say any barrel made since 1950. modified or more open choke, and no size larger then #2 was okay with steel.
Old January 27, 2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Bake

Quote:
Remington used to say any barrel made since 1950. modified or more open choke, and no size larger then #2 was okay with steel.

Good to know, I've heard about the Mod or more open chokes, and the #2 and smaller, but the 1950 and newer barrels was news to me...
Old January 28, 2015, 11:37 AM   #5
doofus47

Thanks for the help, all
Old January 31, 2015, 12:16 AM   #6
publius

Everybody answered your question. I just wanted to say that the 11-48 is the best auto Rem. ever made, in my opinion.