The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 27, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
ammo.crafter

,22 auto smith

Anyone have a good source for a barrel upgrade for a Ruger MK 1 pistol as well as a QUALIFIED pistolsmith?

I shoot PPC with several centerfire handguns and want to get into rimfire pistol as well. My old Ruger should fit the bill.
Old February 27, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Ruger barrel cannot be replaced by anyone but the factory. The reason is that the barrel is not indexed. It is screwed into a blank threaded tube and the feed ramp is used as a reference point to machine the rest of the receiver with the barrel already installed.

Ruger barrels are not sold by the factory or by anyone else. One could be made but I doubt that any gunsmith would tackle the job given the complexity.

Call Ruger.

Jim
Old February 27, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
The Ruger barrel cannot be replaced by anyone but the factory.
Not to be disagreeable, but this is not true. I rebarrel Ruger pistols all the time. I recently rebarreled a MkII that came to me after being stored in a wet place for several months and the barrel was pitted. A new barrel blank, an hour in the machine shop, a sear kit, new sights, off to refinish, and now it looks like new. Sort of. Ruger never made a Mk II pistol that shoots like this one does now. I have rebarreled several of them over the years for customers, everywhere from 4" to 12" barrels. They always shoot a lot better than factory barrels.

If you want more info, PM me.
Old February 27, 2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Roughedge

Check here for a barrel http://www.eabco.com/store/ruger-mar...ls-%7C-uppers/ . Any good smith cant install it. The barrel is the GUN so it has to go through a FFL
Old February 28, 2014, 01:41 AM   #5
Slopemeno

We did them frequently as well. Clark's in Louisiana was also known for it.
Old February 28, 2014, 01:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Rouchedges's source cites uppers, not barrels. Anyone can put on a new upper with little or no fitting.

Hi, Scorch,
I mis-spoke some. Yes, replacing the barrel can be done, but I didn't find it quite as easy as you make it sound, so I generally recommend sending the gun to Ruger.

I hope that ammo.crafter will get in touch with you.

Jim
Old February 28, 2014, 03:11 PM   #7
PetahW

The Pac-Lite "no-gunsmithing" drop-in bbl would fit the gripframe of your MkI:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod55145.aspx

Old February 28, 2014, 03:59 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

thanks

Thanks for all the info and leads.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is some confusion here. The Ruger .22 upper consists of two parts, the receiver and the barrel (plus sights, of course). It is usually seen and sold as a unit. Installing a different upper on a pistol is merely a matter of reassembly, though some after-market units might require some light fitting.

The thick wall tubing part at the rear is not the barrel, it is the receiver and has the serial number because it was not practical to stamp it on Ruger's sheet metal grip frame. The front part that screws into the receiver and has the front sight is the barrel.

Removing and replacing the barrel (separating it from the receiver) is a different story. Ruger manufactures the assembly by threading one end of the tubing, then screwing in the barrel, which has the feed ramp and sight ramp already on it, along with the extractor cutout. They then insert a guide with a cutout for the feed ramp, and use the feed ramp as a reference point to machine the ejection port, the magazine port, the cuts for the bolt handles, etc., as well as installing the ejector and making the other cuts needed to complete the upper.

Because all that work is done with the barrel already installed, the cuts mate up perfectly with the barrel. Installing a new barrel means installing the barrel and seeing if it will line up. If it does not, then the barrel has to be fitted like the barrel of a rifle, working until things line up. If the barrel has been made from a blank, then the feed ramp has to be machined, then the cut at the ejection port has to be made as a preliminary, then final fitted by "cut and try", removing the barrel, working on it, then replacing it until everything fits.

Yes, I did it once, and decided to let the factory have all the fun the next time.

Jim