The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
colbad

Made in Japan 1911

Gentlemen, I am hoping to get some information from you Colt guys. A relative recently passed and in his possessions (which I have not put eyes on) is what is described as a firearm (pistol) with the markings "US Armed Forces Automatic Pistol" and shows "Model of 1911A1 X5898 Caliber 45" and Made in Japan C13438.

This is being described to me by someone else so I do not have much to work with at the moment. I never knew handguns let alone 1911A1s were made in Japan. Possibly it is just a "wall hanger" and not a firearm. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
royal barnes

I have a functioning, non-gun replica with similar markings.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:01 PM   #3
mdcmn7

What is a functioning non gun replica?

Sent from my Desire HD
Old January 28, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
RickB

The mechanism works like a real gun, but doesn't fire. The Japanese have extremely authentic "non-guns", some blank-firing, airsoft, etc.
When the German-made rimfire StG44 replicas came out, some were complaining that a rimfire was awfully expensive at $600, but a Japanese-made, non-firing replica is well over $1000, so a real gun seems cheap, by comparison.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
royal barnes

It functions in every respect except there is no firing pin and the barrel is plugged. Slide operates, hammer cocks, slide stop works, trigger and hammer function,etc. It can be field stripped like a standard 1911 you just can't chamber a round or fire it.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Sharpsdressed Man

It is a non-gun replica, cannot be converted, and is made of weaker zinc alloy metal. If you did try to convert it, it would break apart on the first shot. It is worth about $100-$200 on ebay, and makes for a really cool display, or training gun, and WILL get you killed if you wave it at the police.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I remember those being advertised in the 1970s and 1980s in Buns & Whammo and other gun magazines.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:09 AM   #8
mete

I remember at an IPSC match meeting a group of Japanese visiters. They were really 'gun enthusiasts' .They knew their guns though they couldn't own them .They did own replicas and some were nicely made. They had a number of very finely made gun magazines ,nicer than ours .Articles included test reports of military guns rarely reported on in our magazines . Beautifully printed and photographed ,very detailed [unfortunately in Japanese].
Amazing that much interest in an item banned in their country.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Digger686

"Amazing that much interest in an item banned in their country."

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but this is too important to ignore.

As with Japan, the UK is in a similar position. About all that the majority of former pistol shooters there have left are deactivated pistols. That means that the guns have been neutered, with some parts ground off or welded up and barrels cut so that they cannot function as originally intended.

Deactivation usually costs the equivalent of $200 or so on top of the original live-firing pistol. Ironically the value of the piece is often reduced following this, particularly if it is an historic or classic firearm.

Take care of the freedoms that you guys still enjoy and don't let anyone take them away unopposed!!
Old January 29, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I remember those being advertised in the 1970s and 1980s in Buns & Whammo
First image in my head was a bikini clad lady on a Slip-n-Slide.