The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 7, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
FishinDVM

Remington Model 14 in .32 cal and Model 1924 Mauser CXC

So, my father gave me three "items" over the weekend as follows:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nMan/3guns.jpg

TOP: Remington 870 tactical w/ blackhawk stock (no questions, just happens to be there and makes me happy )

MIDDLE: Remington Model 14 in .32 cal (I believe this is a carbine?)
--> Questions: I am planning on using this gun for deer hunting and would like to know what options I have for improving sight/accuracy without altering the gun or affecting its value (like attaching a scope)? Should I just leave the open sights alone ? and... what can I do cleaning / polishing wise that wont affect the guns worth as well ???

BOTTOM: here is the main reason im posting, I did some research online and came up with the following info: this is a Model 1924 Mauser CXC with the following stamp on the side: Fab. Nat. D'Armes de Guerre Herstal-Belgique which I believ means it was made at the FN factory in Belgium. CXC stands for Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. Serial number A36059 ... Here are the rest of the pics from this rifle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...onMan/logo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Man/serial.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oonMan/CXC.jpg

Anyone have any idea on the value of this gun or just any more info on it whatsoever? Thank you! - Chris
Old December 8, 2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Scorch

Here's some info on the Model 1924, from www.carbinesforcollectors.com .
Quote:
In 1923 a tentative order for 50,000 FN (Fabrique National D'Armes de Guerre in Herstal, Belgium) Mauser large ring 1898 pattern intermediate length action rifles was negotiated but not executed until 1925 when another 50,000 rifles were added to total 100,000 M1924 short rifles. These rifles lacked the special Serbian fully supported cartridge head used in the M10C and M99/07C Mausers. However, during 1926 ZB, the Czech arms plant in the city of Brno in Moravia delivered 42,000 new Vz24 7.92mm Mauser rifles and 10,000 used German Gewehr 1898 7.92mm Mauser long rifles to Serbia. The Vz24 were known as the Carbine 7.92mm Model 1924a in Serbia. In 1929 another 50,000 Vz24 7.92mm rifles were purchased from ZB.

The 100,000 intermediate length large ring action type 7.92mm Model 1924 short rifles which were purchased from Fabrique National DeGuerre (FN) in Herstal, Belgium began arriving in 1926 and ended delivery was completed in 1928. In the same time frame machine tooling and a technical support package to manufacture these rifles at MTI Kragujevac was arranged. FN engineers and technicians set up the Military Technical Institute production line for an upgraded pattern of this weapon, the well-known Serb M1924 model short rifle, with the FN design modified by Yugoslav ordnance engineers to incorporate the full cartridge base support feature on the M10C bolt head and also to allow the safety switch to be applied with the bolt uncocked. The process of setting up production was slow and did not get underway until 1928. The new rifle would be made in three variations. The short rifle with sling swivels on the bottom and straight bolt handle, the Cavalry carbine with swivels on bottom and left side and turned down bolt handle, otherwise the same as the short rifle, and a short rifle/carbine with straight bolt handle and sling swivels the same as the carbine arrangement
Old December 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
bamaranger

.32 Rem

The rem Model 14 pump was mfg'd from 1912-1935. A "carbine will have an 18.5inch bbl, a full size rifle will have a 22" tube. Beware that true carbines are a bit scarce and lopping off a barrel to fake a carbine is not uncommon. If you have a true carbine it is desireable. They were chambered in a family of Rem cartridges to include .25, .30, .32 and .35 Rem. They were in direct competition with the assorted Winchester lever cartridges and rifles. If I recall correctly the Model 14 was a Pedereson design. The "candy cane" spiral magazine tube was intended to off set cartridge noses and primers in the tubular magazine to allow the use of pointed spitzer slugs, and provide an advantage over the tube fed Winchester levers. Thing is, I don't think there were ever any factory spitzer loadings. NOte that .32 Rem is no longer in factory production. Maybe some shop like the Old Western Scrounger carries it, or some other boutique outfit, but you will not buy a box at Wally World.

Drilling and tapping the receiver of a Rem 14 to accepet a base and rings for scoping will adversely effect its value. Especially if your gun is indeed a factory carbine. Many were drilled and tapped as scopes became acceptable, , as I've seen many scoped, so one that is not drilled is desireable from a collector stand point.

Regards accuracy improvement, there were model specific peep sights, receiver mounted, very slick, that increased the sight radius and typically accuracy. I saw a MOdel 14 over the Thanksgiving weekend that appeard to be factory drilled to accept a receiver mounted peep. My own model 14 is NOT so drilled.

A period vintage peep like an old Marbles installed on a FACTORY drilled rifle (again if there is such a thing) would not hurt its value and might improve it). I would not drill one to take a peep.

The MOdel 14 were succeeded by the Model 141. That line of old school Rem pumps are near and dear to me, and were a family staple growing up. They are light and sleek and what a woods rifle was meant to be. To buld one today, with all the machining and fitting, would cost a fortune.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
lefteyedom

Is the Model 14 a weapon you plan to keep or one you are planning on trading or selling?

If you plan on keeping it and not hunting with it then spend the money and have professionally re blued and restored.

If you are secretly wanting to sell it then just clean and oil it. GB has a 3 model-14 32 calibers price/bid at $159, $205 and $595. The highest bid price is $205.

If it was mine
, I would, refinish the wood with oil, bead blast and dura-coat the metal flat black, mount a ghost ring aperture sight and a sling. I would then hunt deer and hogs with it until the undertaker came to take my carcase away. But hey I am a little odd
Old December 10, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
FishinDVM

I plan on keeping the Model 14 and hunting with it. I measured the barrel at exactly 18 inches so I believe this makes it the carbine. My father has owned it forever and it belonged to my grandfather before that. Not only has no one hunted with it, no one has altered it either (no drill holes, etc.). I shot it the other day, was accurate around 70/75 yards out, but I feel getting a heart shot at 100 or better would be difficult (at least for me) using just open sights. Like I said earlier though, I would prefer not to alter the gun in any way that will affect its worth (eventhough I dont plan on selling it).

I would however like to sell the 1924 CXC Mauser (also all original)... but... I have no idea on how to find the value of this thing as this "type" is not listed in my books.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:45 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but if your 14 were a true Carbine it would be stamped Model 14R and would have a straight grip stock ! What you have is a cut down rifle , as there is no sight boss on the barrel and that sight is far from original as is the buttstock . That being said , if it were mine , I'd clean it up maybe even refinish (with a bake on) . .32 Rem. ammo is not easy to find , and if you don't reload , will be very expensive to shoot . Too bad it's not a .35 , there's plenty of that ammo around !
Old December 10, 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
jmfc606

On your .32 Rem it looks like the rear stock has been replaced at some point. The carbine came with a straight grip stock (no pistol grip). Since this is a family heirloom and you do not plan on selling it I would have it drilled and tapped so you can mount the scope on it. Do you have ammo? As you know this caliber is long discontined and ammo is very tough to find. You can find some every once inawhile at a gunshow or a hole in the wall gunshop. I bought a custom die from RCBS over 30 years ago so I could reload for mine. They are great rifles and if you do reload you can shoot pointed bullets out of it due to the design of the tubular magazine that keeps the bullets from touching when it's loaded. Good Luck with it.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:14 AM   #8
hvcup

On the Mauser CXC, I have two, one has bluing in worse condition than yours and I paid $250 for it, the other one has better bluing (pic attached) but mismatched bolt number and I think I overpaid it at $450. Both excellent bores and both purchased at gunbroker in a multiple bidder auctions over the past couple of years, so the prices might actually be fair. Send me a PM if you're interested ins selling it, I might consider to get a third one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2819.jpg (86.7 KB, 12 views)