The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
PhilGarn

Getting into .223

A buddy of mine just got a Stag Arms Model 2 AR15 and we're about to start reloading his brass. The brass is factory Federal ammo that we've been blowing through shooting poppers and gongs. We'd like to develop a decent mid/long-range load (600 yds or so) but I'm a bit concerned about the 16" barrel with a 1:9 twist. We'll be shooting paper, steel and probably a few dozen woodchucks with the new rounds.

Also, I've been seeing references to primer crimps and the need to remove them from some .223 brass during case prep. Looking at the Federal brass, the primers look just like any others I've loaded in the past. Is this mainly with military surplus rounds or am I missing something? I just don't want to run into any surprises when we get started.

Anyone got a good starting recipe for the load? I've been looking at the 223CFE powder and heard some good reviews on it. Pros? Cons?
Old May 15, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Jimro

Try the heaviest bullet you can stabilize with that twist. Do a work up to max load to ensure safety. Your sweet spot will likely be between 24 and 25 grains of powder...

Jimro
Old May 15, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I have run into a lot of crimped primer pockets in Federal brass. It takes a few seconds with a Lyman reamer to remove the crimp. An RCBS primer pocket swage kit will remove the crimps as well.

For bullets at ranges of over 400 yards 69 to 75 grain tend to do well in most 1 in 9 twist barrels. Though it will take some trial, and error on your part to find the right ones. Buy in 100 boxes till you find the ones that do best. Then order them in bulk for savings.

My fave for a 26 inch barrel with a 1 in 9 twist is Hornady 68 grain HPBT Match bullets with any brass, and a charge of reloader 15. The rifle is a bull barrel Savage Mod 12 Long Range with a 6-24x40 scope.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

You can go to the Hodgdon web site and get a list of loads for that powder and particular bullet weights.