The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 14, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
mitchell koster

Tikka T3 stainless lite

Hi all, its been a while since i've posted but i know you'll all be able to help me. I'm about to move away and am gonna get a new rifle. I've settled on the Tikka t3 stainless lite. My question is, does anyone know how the recoil will compare in 270win to the Ruger M77 in 270win? I hand load so my loads are only running on the lowest safe/accurate possible powder weight.

I can handle the recoil but was just keen to see if its any different.

Thanks all

MK
Old January 14, 2012, 09:29 AM   #2
warbirdlover

I can only say that my Rem 700 in .270 has less recoil with the same loads then my brother's Ruger .270. I would say the Tikka would be no worse then the Ruger.

And a very WISE choice on rifle I might add.
Old January 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
jmr40

I've had a couple of Tikka's in the past in 30-06 and 308. They are very light, about 6 lbs. 2 oz. before optics. Around 7 lbs even after mounting a scope. A wood stocked Ruger would weigh around 7.25-7.5 lbs before optics and mounts. That would put it at around 8.5 lbs. after optics.

That 1.5 lbs makes a real difference in recoil. The good news is that a 270 is on the lower end of the recoil scale. I also added a Limbsaver pad to my 30-06 and it made a tremendous difference in how the recoil felt. After the pad it felt more like a 243 than a 30-06. I would highly recommend one of these pads on any lightweight gun, or even a standard weight gun with heavy recoil.

I think you will like the Tikka. I prize lightweight, accurate rifles, because of the where, and how I hunt. For the money they are as light, and accurate as they come. I only sold mine to finance the purchase of my Kimber, which is a full pound lighter than even the Tikka.