The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2011, 09:52 AM   #1
fishhead1

Looking for 41 Mag Cast Bullet

I'm looking for a good 210-215 gr .41 Mag cast flat based bullet. Seems most bullets I've found offered in this weight class are bevel based (requiring gas checks, I assume). Any ideas?
Old April 26, 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
zxcvbob

I've been using Lee's 210 grain tumble-lubed SWC. No gas check.

Haven't shot enough of them yet to form much of an opinion, but they look nice when loaded. Been using 9.0 grains of Rex-3 powder, which is like a single-base version of Universal, and I'm getting a *little* leading, but the gun has a rough bore so that's kind of expected. I haven't broken out the 2400 powder yet.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bevel base bullets don't require a gas check.

It just makes them a little bit easier to load.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 26, 2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I would not recommend a swaged lead unless you’re staying well under 1000 FPS.
Penn bullets can be pushed to well over 1400 with no leading. I have loaded his bullets in 44 mag over 1500 in a rifle and they work very well.
Give them a call.

http://www.pennbullets.com/41/41-caliber.html
Old April 26, 2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Nevmavrick

If you use a swaged bullet, keep the velocities down...1000fps would be a max.
Cast is an excellent idea, but a commercial cast needs to be loaded up. I don't know what gun you're using, but 1200+fps from a 6" barrel would be a good idea. If you want to load somewhere between the two, you may have to get hold of one of the commercial casters that will customize the alloy.
I shoot my 6" M57 S&W a lot with an RCBS 210gr SWC with an alloy of WW+2%tin and 7gr-8gr/Unique with whatever standard LP primer happens to be handy.
This is probably the most popular .41 load today. I also shoot a large number of other loads that perform the same, and I'll give you some ideas if you don't have Unique on your bench.
The BB is to start seating easier, not for GCs. Gas check bullets don't need GCs, but usually smoke a bit because lube fills the space where the GC goes. I've removed the bevel in my molds so I don't have the problems they cause.Gas checks just make the bullets more expensive.
Have fun,
Gene
Old April 26, 2011, 10:22 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot lots of the 210 grain Lee TL semi wadcutters. I have shot tiem with Trail Boss, 2400, HiSkor800x, TiteGroup, and AA#9.

My prefered powders are Trail Boss for general plinking, and for steel knock down targets, and AA#9 for hotter loads. Both powders are very clean burning. The bullets shoot fine. No gas checks needed. I personaly keep the velocity in the 1200 FPS or lower range, and have good results.

I shoot at least 200 of them every weekend.
Old April 27, 2011, 12:55 PM   #7
crowbeaner

Most commercial casters get bevel base moulds for their big machines. I have several flatbase moulds for the Forgotten Magnum, and all shoot well.
RCBS 41-210-KT
Lyman 410459
Lyman 410032
Lyman 410610 gascheck mould
The RCBS mould is my favorite; it shoots exceptional groups in my old M57 Smiths. Loaded over 10.0 of SR 4756, it will hold one hole groups out to 25 yards. Size all bullets to .410".
The 410459 is an original Keith style from Lyman. Unless you have a long cylinder, you may have to seat it deep and crimp over the front driving band to keep the COAL correct. Shoots great over 18.0 of 2400; use standard primers.
The 410032 is a pointy swc that weighs 212 grains in my alloy. Great bullet, but not as accurate as the 410459. load over 18.0 to 19.5 of 2400; standard primers.
The 410610 is the original ( and perhaps the ONLY) gascheck 41 mould. I have a small quantity of the Lyman checks for it and shoot it very sparingly because of the paucity of gaschecks. Probably the most accurate 41 bullet design made. Load over 17.5 of 2400 or 20.5 of WW 296. Magnum primers with the 296 load.
The 41 remains my favorite N frame gun. I carried one daily for 10 years and can attest to it's accuracy and propensity to get-r-done with one well placed shot. Hope this helps. CB.
Old April 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #8
fishhead1

Thanks for the good words, folks.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:01 PM   #9
ipscchef

Two more cents, Hey, I'm running out of pennies!

You may want to try the 220gr. hardcast Keith bullets from Leadhead Bullets.

www.proshootpro.com. I have been using their Keith style bullets in .45 Colt and .44 Mag, and they have performed great. I have just gotten in my first order of the .41 hard casts and have not had a chance to try them out yet.

I wil probably start with enough H-110 to get them going about 1325fps. or so out of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

If you ever are interested in going to a heavier bullet, I can recommend the 265gr. Veral Smith designed WLNGC bullet from Cast Performance.
I put them over 19.8gr. of H-110, that load is from the Hodgdons manuel, and they come out at 1208fps. from the same gun. It is a very accurate bullet, out of my gun anyway. Great penetration, very accurate, and the recoil is more of a "shove" than the "snappy" recoil of the lighter bullets I have tried.

I have spoken to the nice folks at Leadhead, and they do not put GC's on these bullets, they say that the bullets I am talking about can be driven to 1500+ fps. without any leading. I think that they probably know what they are talking about, seeing as they make all of the cast bullets for CorBon!

JMHO, and as always,YMMV

Willy

Last edited by ipscchef; April 27, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:49 AM   #10
fishhead1

Again, appreciate the good ideas, guys.
Old April 30, 2011, 10:19 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Missouri Bullets