The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1
M4Sherman

pacific reloading press

alright today I got my hands on a reloading press for a decent price (had to travel 200 miles round trip to get it though) and once I got home and ready to get some extra goodies for it guess what....midway doesn't even have a section for this brand. now I am guessing it is out of production so should I be worried about the quality of this press or should I just use it and suffer not having a source for extra goodies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg press.jpg (228.4 KB, 300 views)
Old May 29, 2010, 12:43 AM   #2
DocAitch

Pacific Press

I just did a quick search and the Pacific company manufactured presses during the 50-60s and was then purchased by Hornady and merged into Hornady. They are said to be a desirable tool and the dies should be industry standard (7/8"x14). If they are, you can just purchase whichever brand of dies that you favor- I have Lee, RCBS , Redding and Lyman. Lees do the job and are the least expensive.
I don't think there are any other "goodies" that are necessary for a specific single stage press (except perhaps a spent primer catcher). You will need all the other stuff for brass preparation, powder dispensing, and measuring but there are many manufacturers of these items and most reloading forums have them listed in stickies.
DocAitch
Old May 29, 2010, 06:38 AM   #3
flyguy958

Top of the line press, it will outlast most of us. Like Doc said, all you need for the press is dies. I don't think they ever made a spent primer catcher for these but it should not be hard to make something.

Buy a couple of good reloading manuals and get started.

Good luck on your reloading endeavors.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
wncchester

Pacific made good tools but Hornady bought them when they were ready to close. That was a LOONG time ago in reloading history.

Pacific sorta develped the first "modern" presses but their early models had shell holders cut into the top of the rams. Hope you got one of the later models that use interchangeable shell holders, trying to find those old rams for some cartridges can be difficult but I do see them on eBay occasionally.

So far as I know they never made any presses with the compound toggle that all modern presses have so FL resizing can put a lot of pressure on the press. You will need a really sturdy bench under it to perform well.

(Hope you got it really cheap. At the cost of gas today a 200 mile trip and a few burgers and Cokes along the way could easily equal the price of a new Lee Classic Cast and that would have been a better press.)

Anyway, you have a good loading tool, enjoy it!

Last edited by wncchester; May 29, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:19 PM   #5
hornady

I have that exact press I bought it in the early 70s, its been pumping out bullets for 40 years and is as tight as it was the day I bought it, I have used Lee, RCBS and Lyman , Dies and shell holders in it, they made this press in the red and the earlier models where blue, yours was made some time in the 70s, I have loaded everything from 380 to 3006 on mine. If you look at the bottom of the arm, on the right side you will find an adjustment screw, don’t over tighten it, but it will hold the arm in the up-right position when the press is not in use.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Looks like a pretty recent Pacific, maybe after the Hornady buyout, considering it is painted red.

Not well known, Pacific orignated the now-standard T-slot interchangeable shellholder and 7/8x14 threaded dies.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
oneounceload

Guess I am wondering why you would drive 200 miles for something that you had no idea about.........Yes, Pacific was merged into Hornady - for a long time they were called Hornady-Pacific. While a nice sturdy press, the price you mentioned should not have been that much - while well-made, it also isn't something that out of the ordinary
Old May 29, 2010, 11:00 PM   #8
M4Sherman

It was a long drive and under close inspection it says division of Hornady but the fella said it was a 71 model. it also came with a set of pacific 44 magnum dies, a hand help priming tool, a case trimmer,and a scale but I already have most of my granddads old reloading equipment except the dies,press and trimming tool.

the press seams pretty solid but I think it is the older model wncchester was posting about.

So far I have about $140 plus my time in it and that is a hell of a lot cheaper than any presses around the local area

EDIT: it is one with the easy change shell holders WOOT

Last edited by M4Sherman; May 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Scorch

Hey! That's my press! Mine sits right next to my Hollywood press. Works great, and very easy to put shells in and out of the holder.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:27 AM   #10
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you got the trimmer , scale and priming tool plus a set of dies , you did just fine . As mentioned , you will need a sturdy bench since these presses are not compound leverage . I just bought a brand new 25+ year old RCBS JR2 which is pretty much the same press painted Green . I had to reinforce my bench where I mounted it . Watch the clearence at the back of the press , If you push it all the way back to the bench you may need to cut a little groove in the back so that the linkage will clear on the down stroke . Mount it as far back from the edge as possible .
Old May 30, 2010, 07:34 AM   #11
wncchester

"EDIT: it is one with the easy change shell holders WOOT "

Very good! Considering the total package, you did okay. NOW, ENJOY IT!
Old June 6, 2010, 02:10 AM   #12
M4Sherman

Well I have everything mounted and ready to go once I get some money for powder. I have found that this thing does a fantastic job de-priming and resizing 38spl loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench.jpg (96.7 KB, 113 views)
Old June 6, 2010, 05:55 AM   #13
flyguy958

Read all you can while waiting.

My tip: Find a methodical way to charge, then visually check that each case is charged before seating the bullet.

Good looking set up.