The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 23, 2009, 02:01 PM   #1
grymster2007

BP Cylinder Loading Stand

I’ve been thinking about building a cylinder loading stand for my BP revolvers. So far, I’ve modeled up a Pietta ’58 Remington 44 cylinder, made a start on the Pietta 1863 Pocket Remington .31 caliber cylinder and am working on modeling the stand itself. I’ve seen stands from Traditions, Marstar and Triple P. Of those, I like the Triple P best and think the turret a good idea. Are there others out there that I might get ideas from?
Old February 23, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
mykeal

There's this guy, originally sold by Powder, Inc. I'm not sure that it's still on the market. It was a predecessor to the Triple P design:
Old February 23, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

No comment
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 23, 2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Raider2000

That's the one I have mykeal, the only thing I've done was use some felt on the cylinder base to keep marring the cylinder gear to a minimum.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:36 AM   #5
grymster2007

Quote:
No comment.
A philosophical objection to loading stands?
Old February 24, 2009, 02:55 AM   #6
6Gun4Fun

I can refer you to this forum for further details.

http://www.voy.com/60048/
Old February 24, 2009, 02:55 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Here's the lastest...I got mine from 6guns4fun today...
Pictured below the C&B Cylinder Loader is set up for the 1865 Rogers& Spencer .44

I must say that it is really well made and was well thought out, loads several cylinder models, presses muliple caliber boolits. A very good tool right down to the magnetic holders for cylinders pins and arbor, along with the bullet tools for pressing.

Good job Tim.... thank you,
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 24, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
A philosophical objection to loading stands?
Since you asked. No, I don't have a philosophical objection to them. I just think they are an unnecessary expense and are a hassle to carry around. I feel the same way about multiple cylinders. I have better things to spend my money on.

Now, If I was entered in a precision shooting event where I was weighing my powder charges to the hundreth of a grain, using perfectly round balls with identical weight, loading with the same measured pressure in every chamber, attempting to score as many Xs as humanly possible, I might go to the trouble to use a loading stand like those being talked about.

For CAS, plinking, or informal matches, they're a waste of time and money, IMNSHO. Loading a C&B during a CAS match with the pistol still assembled and using the loading lever to do so after firing a stage does not take more than 2 or 3 minutes. About the time it takes a couple shooters to finish the satge.

With that said, I do have a revolver holder (stand if you must) built on to the side of my gun cart to hold the pistol while loading. Possibles bag hangs below and holds flask, balls, wads, tools, etc. All of it is covered by my umbrella in bad weather.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 24, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old February 24, 2009, 05:44 PM   #9
hillbille

gotta agree with fingers, while my shooting will never be precision, I shoot black powder because I enjoy the experience, a loading stand just does not fit into my "experience" but to each there own.
Old February 24, 2009, 05:49 PM   #10
grymster2007

The modeling of my loading stand is coming along pretty well, but it sure looks a lot like the Triple P. I guess maybe that's just a good design. Anyway, maybe I'll post a rendering in a few days. Meanwhile, when I was getting the necessary dimensions off the .44 cylinder, I noticed it was a pretty geometry-rich item so I took some pleasure in modeling it. have a peek.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44cyl_02.jpg (22.0 KB, 2977 views)
File Type: jpg 44cyl_03.jpg (25.8 KB, 2909 views)
Old February 25, 2009, 03:17 AM   #11
Smokin_Gun

I can See where no one could enter and event with one ... but that ain't only what they are meant for.
For me when I carry a Revolver and Smoke pole/10x10ga while hunting I carry what I need to for reloading on the fly.
At the bench this tool doubles my shooting time, as I usually make a full day of it and bring 3 or 4 revolvers. Under a covered Shootin' house with a Standing bar type bench the length of the building...I would use this Loader alot during the coarse of a day. Put alot more lead down range too.
I jus' like it!
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 25, 2009, 05:03 AM   #12
Raider2000

grym:
That 3D rendering of the Remington C&B cylinder is really cool, that is one of the few things that I've yet played with on a PC is rendering 3D objects.

Smokin:
That pretty much sumes up my reasons for having my loader especially for the target loads where the powder loads are pretty light & I'm not much of a filler man.
Old February 25, 2009, 09:19 PM   #13
grymster2007

I still have work to do and the thing looks a lot like the Triple P, but here's where I am at this point. I modeled the plunger, roughly after a toggle clamp I found on McMaster-Carr (think I'll just buy that when the time comes). The turret is mounted to the stand base with a shoulder bolt and the base has a spring plunger detent that catches conical features in the turret which align each cylinder under the plunger. I probably won't make this thing 'til I retire, but I'm having fun anyway.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg loadstand_01.jpg (25.2 KB, 2883 views)
File Type: jpg loadstand_02.jpg (31.6 KB, 2852 views)
Old February 26, 2009, 07:22 AM   #14
mykeal

Just a suggestion: you might want to rethink the detents in the turntable. It's often useful to be able to make very small rotating movements of the cylinder to help seat the plunger on the ball and avoid marking it with the edge of the plunger. Not so much a matter of whether the plunger is centered on the chamber (which is controlled by the geometry of the loader) but whether the ball is properly centered; it can be resting off center just a bit, enough to produce a 'divot' from the initial push of the plunger.
Old February 26, 2009, 10:33 AM   #15
grymster2007

Quote:
you might want to rethink the detents in the turntable
Good point, but the cylinders will still rotate freely about their central axes, providing some degree of alignment adjustment. Only the turret would be locked (well kinda, because the detent requires only 1.25 lb max force to overcome the spring tension). I think I'll leave the detent in, because I can always defeat it with a turn of a screwdriver.

Thanks mykeal!

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detent.jpg (35.1 KB, 2792 views)
Old February 27, 2009, 02:03 AM   #16
arcticap

Why not have a 2nd station on another side with a powder drop tube and a funnel at the top? It could be made to swing out of the way to not interfere with the operation of the handle. Or enlarge the base to fit it in. It could be made to be easily removable, maybe a swinging arched support for the tube placed in a corner of the base.
Also include an easy way to lower or raise the tube to adjust for different cylinder heights.
I like using funnels so that powder can be "dumped" in faster and easier.
Either way it's a very nice, solid looking loader.
There's 2 cents for you!

Last edited by arcticap; February 27, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old February 27, 2009, 10:01 AM   #17
grymster2007

Quote:
There's 2 cents for you!
That's at least a nickel's worth, bud! I'll ponder that idea for a bit. Thanks.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:30 AM   #18
6Gun4Fun

To detend or not to detend that is the question

I've found that the detend is very useful for suspending the rotation of the turret in the selected loading position. Any misalignment is easily overcome by rotating the cylinder as opposed to rotating the turret. I've also used ball cutters to machine the ends of the seating jags to just a little bigger than the diameter of the round balls as to prevent any marring of the top.

Arcticat I just sent you a PM.
Old February 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #19
arcticap

Thanks 6Gun4Fun!

grymster2007, the loading tube could be "spring loaded" so that it can then be more fully depressed into the chamber being loaded with powder, and then easily released so the cylinder can be rotated to load the next chamber with powder. That way there's a minimum of effort and powder spillage. Maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch of spring loaded tube travel?
If someone really wanted to get fancy, I guess that they could also set up a powder dispenser to be part of it too, to drop powder right into the funnel.
And the whole assembly could be made to pop on and off with a friction fitted support rod into a hole on the base, secured by a butterfly screw or similar.
Now that's got to be worth 5 cents!

Last edited by arcticap; February 28, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old February 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #20
mykeal

Hydraulics. It needs hydraulics.

And aerodynamics.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:22 PM   #21
DrLaw

Quote:
Hydraulics. It needs hydraulics.

And aerodynamics.
What about power? How about some hydrodynamic electric power for this? I'm kinda lazy in a sense. Can use some power to make it work, all by a push-button, an easy to push botton!

The Doc is out now.

(Darn it, only high school team in the county going to State just came in 2nd! They were State Champs last year.)(Basketball - girls team)
Old March 1, 2009, 01:47 PM   #22
grymster2007

You fellers makin' fun of ol' grymster?
Old March 1, 2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Hawg

I want it to cap it and install it back in the gun for me, not to mention taking it out in the first place.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:06 PM   #24
grymster2007

I'd like to mention here that my design is almost entirely plagiarized from 6gun's Triple P. When I first posted it, I didn't realize that the Triple P's designer was one of our very own members. I chose basing my design on his because to me, it appeared to be the most functional and aesthetically appealing of all the designs I saw. I've PM'd 6guns to assure him that my intentions are not to compete or otherwise make use of his intellectual property, but rather to build a one-off unit to keep my mind and hands occupied in retirement.

He seems to understand and actually said he was flattered that I based my design on his.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:35 PM   #25
Gatofeo

I dunno. I never quite saw the need for a separate rammer.
The revolver's built with one. Why not use that?
I use a little folding, loading stand to hold the revolver upright while I use the pistol's rammer. Gives me a better feel for how much pressure I'm applying.
But nah, never had use for a separate rammer.
Oh well, to each his own.