The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 9, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Savage Model 93R17BTVS Thoughts

Hey everyone, contemplating a .17 HMR soon.

I have some trigger time, behind a CZ 453 Varmint with a Single Set trigger. Nice rifle.

Anyone have this Savage one though? Good looking rifle, I like the stock, scope mounts, and bull barrel over the CZ, little less money as well.

Good, not good, otherwise?

Thanks,

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BTVS/
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2
scottycoyote

ive got one, great gun, very accurate with the right load, mine wont group the 20 grain bullet near as well as the 17. That said id say the cz is a nicer gun...if the money doesnt matter id lean towards it.
Old December 10, 2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Pahoo

Love that Savage !!!

I don't have the .17 but do own the .22LR version, in SS. It's a great shooter and has provided excellent performance. With this rifle and scope, I routinely play at 80-100yds. Cannot relate to the CZ varmiter but the Lux was also a good performer. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
wingman

I have a 9317btv,excellent rifle .750 groups and under with hornady 20gr.

I would suggest the 22LR if target shooting due to cost of the 17HMR ammo, if varmint hunting I would recommend the 17.

Savage rifles with the accutrigger is difficult to beat for out of the box accuracy,I have no experience with the CZ rifles, I do love there hand guns.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Pahoo

Excellent point.

Quote:
I would suggest the 22LR if target shooting due to cost of the 17HMR ammo, if varmint hunting I would recommend the 17.
Good advice and so far, I've been able to dodge the .17 caliber. Not because there is fault in it but more to limit my investments, in calibers. I still have my .223 for varmints. However, I enjoy my .22 BTVS so much that I would not hesitate get this on a .22mag. .....

The accutrigger or as I call it; trigger safety, did not go low enough to my liking so I did some minor work and much happier now. ....

Be Safe !!!