The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 22, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Why does the SS scope have a sticker on it that says nitrogen port?

I just got my SS16x42mm rifle scope. It has 2 stickers on it. One that says inspected my x and such factory in japan. The other says notrogen gas port. I removed the inspection sticker to find a hole in the scope, the hole is filled with oil. I assume this is alright to take off, the other black sticker says nitrogen gas port. Is this measely sticker holding the nitrogen in my scope? I certainly hope not. If I rub the sticker I can feel a hole similar in size to the one in the rear. To take off the sticker or not?
Thanks
-Dave
Old July 22, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Lavid2002

Also, an allen wrench was included with this scope, it fits the screw on my turrets. When I zero my rifle, Can I unscrew the screws, turn the turrets back to zero, then tighten the screws so that my rifle is on zero with my scope on zero also? None of this was explained in the owners manual. Thanks!
Dave
Old July 22, 2008, 05:13 PM   #3
NineInchNails

You should be able to zero in your scope, loosten the allen on the knobs, and (without altering your settings) you should be able to turn the knobs to zero. If you ever make any adjustments to your scope in the future you can alwasys return the knob back to zero again.

I have no idea what's up with the stickers and the nitrogen port. I would assume that the stickers are just a cheap way of covering up the oil filled hole. Likely this oil is just to test the seal. If they see the oil bubbling then the scope leaks out that port. I have no FACTS, that's just my assumption ...
Old July 22, 2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Lavid2002

Hey! You were in my post about what spotting scope to get! It came wiyth this shippment. Great clarity, only one compaint. I got the strait eyepeie not the 45 deg. angled eyepeice. MAN my neck hurts from looking into this thing for a bit. Ill need to get a better, higher tri-pod.
Thanks nine. That was my assumption too that the oil was for a leak test.
-Dave
Old July 24, 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
2ndchance

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the Super Sniper rifle scope? IF so, I have the same one but it does not have any stickers on it. Also, after I zero'd my scope I tried to set my turrets. However, after I backed out the set screws I was unable to turn or remove the turrets to zero the turrets. What am I doing wrong?
Old July 25, 2008, 09:06 AM   #6
NineInchNails

If knobs on your scope look anything like this then you should be able to loosten or remove the allen screw. I believe this should allow you to either turn the knob to zero (without screwing up your settings) or perhaps pull the knob off and push it back on in the zero spot.

Old July 25, 2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Lavid2002

Heres the scoop, back off all three screws...doesnt take much...maybe two or three revolutions. Then turn the turret. The numbers and top will still all turn in one peice, but the scope reticle wont move, also...the audible "click" wont be heard, turn it back to the desired area (often zero) and tighten down the screws again.
-Dave

Edit...ALSO, I got antsy and took the sticker off. There is a philips head screw in it. This is what covers the gas port. Sweet.
Old July 28, 2008, 08:50 PM   #8
2ndchance

I tried that. As a matter of fact, i turned the set screws a bunch! Still, when I turn the turrets, I hear clicking. I tried to pull them up and off but they didn't budge.