The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1
MEATSAW

Range Report: 124 gr coated RN over Ramshot Competition, Walther P99AS

Was able to get my newly acquired 9x19 Walther P99AS to the range today to begin finding a great range load. I had purchased 1000 coated cast RN bullets from SNS Casting. I have been a big fan of using Ramshot Competition in my handguns since it works so well (and so clean!) in my .45 and my .40. So using CCI500 as my primer I set out with 3 loads to begin. One at 3.0gr Comp, one at 3.2gr, and finally one at 3.5 gr. I know it doesn't sound like there is much margin for error but in loading with my Lee turret press using the pro auto disk powder measure/dispenser I was hitting spot-on everytime.

The load at 3.0gr Comp was sufficient power to get the bullet out of the barrel everytime but I had 3 malfunctions because it wasn't enough to fully cycle the slide. Velocity was 850-900 fps.

The 3.2 gr Comp load performed flawlessly! Best group of the 3 loads at 20 yards and the gun ran perfect. Velocity hovered around 940 fps.

The 3.5 gr Comp load performed good as well. The gun functioned perfectly. The shot group opened up a bit versus the 3.2gr load but was still adequate. Velocity was around 980fps.

I am going to load up a few 50 round boxes at the 3.2/3.3 gr charge and run them through the gun for further testing. The gun seemed to really like this load and it was so pleasant to shoot!

Afterwards during gun cleaning I was happily surprised to note how well the coated bullets worked. It took 2 patches (thats it!) down the bore and it was spotless. Not a single trace of leading or other fouling. Powder fouling was minimal as I have come to expect using Ramshot Competition.

All in all the Walther P99AS is one sweet pistol and I think I have found a sweet load for it!

Last edited by MEATSAW; October 21, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old October 21, 2014, 10:09 AM   #2
AirPirate

Thanks for the range report. I haven't used Ramshot, but your results look good.
Old October 22, 2014, 08:23 PM   #3
MEATSAW

Perhaps the bigger take-aways from this are that coated cast bullets are the coolest thing ever and Competition is an absolute beauty of a pistol powder. At 3.2 grains per bullet the 4 pounder I got will last a long time. Even loading bunch of .40 and .45 over the last 6 months it still feels like the jug is full. These two things (bullet and powder) make cleaning so crazy easy. The bore is spotless after just 2 strokes with a brush & patch with Eds Red solvent. It's truly remarkable.

I always dogged on 9mm but with this gun and load it's so much fun to shoot! Quite a bit cheaper than .45 too!
Old October 23, 2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Shotgun Slim

I'm with you on the SNS coated bullets. My barrels have never looked better.
Old October 24, 2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

I love the coated bullets though I can't speak of a powder I have never used. I just ran through a batch of 9mm 124gr SWC's and man I love the hole they punch! Thought I found the perfect bullet with the 200gr SWC 45acp but these were just as nice just in 9mm. Now I can see the holes much easier @ 15 yds. Oh and of course the barrel clean as a whistle...

Can't wait to whip a batch of my own up soon.

Congrats and thanks for the report.