The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Lordy123

Did I get a good O/U for $500?

Picked up a Beretta BL3 for 569. It has Mod/Full fixed chokes, 28 in barrel, and extractors.

I was on a budget and really wanted something better for trap, I was looking for a TR-1 but when I saw this one I grabbed it. My second choice was a velmet 412 for $699.

I see a lot of threads saying you cant get a decent O/U for this price, will the BL3 hold up to 150 shells a week? What should I watch out for?

It's seems a little light for trap but I'm take it to the range tonight and see how it does.
Old April 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

It is a lighter field gun; however, its fixed chokes in those constrictions will work well for trap.

Typically, trap guns are heavy - on the order of 8#+. Trap singles are usually shot with a trap-specific single barrel. That is not to say that you can't shoot trap singles with ANY gun capable of firing one round at a time. The question becomes - as you mentioned - whether the gun will hold up. Beretta makes good guns, it should be able to be repaired by any decent gunSMITH (i.e., not some Glock parts replacer)

Make sure it fits you well and you can move the gun easily as necessary, then go and enjoy!
Old April 24, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

+1 on BigDin's remarks....

I don't know when your gun was made.....but sure, on the used market, especially if you look at fixed choke guns ...there are still some deals out there on both Beretta and Browning O/U's for $ 500 - $ 750...especially on their field grade models. I think Beretta started using screw in chokes on most of their O/U's in the mid 1980's.../ not long after Browning developed their first Invector choke system....so your gun should be older than that...but it doesn't matter.

Most any O/U made by Beretta or Browning ...is a solid 500,000 shell gun in terms of durability....unless its been mistreated / and there are a lot of shotguns sold out there...that never see 150 shells a year let alone 150 a week.

Personally I prefer a "Trap" specific gun to be up around 10 lbs and with
32" barrels in an O/U...

....but get that gun to the pattern board, check its point of impact on both barrels...make any adjustments you have to - to the stock - so it hits where you look and you should be just fine. In a light gun like that ....I'd sure recommend you stay with loads of no more than 1 oz if its a 12ga ...and velocity's at around 1200 fps....( you don't need more than that, for Trap anyway, but some guys will tell you to shoot 1 1/8oz loads at 1250 fps or faster...)..../ and shells with either 8's or 9's are fine for Trap singles at 16 yds.
Old April 24, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

The "BL" series of guns were manufactured between 1968 and 1973.
On the barrels where the proof markings are you will find a set of roman numerals in a box, that is the date code.
You can find the exact year of mfg. at Shotgun World in the Beretta form in a sticky.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Yep, these models were the daddies of the 68X series that have been popular for a while now
Old April 24, 2013, 09:40 PM   #6
TROOPER2

Beretta

Ive shot trap for year the beretta and brownings will last for about 100K to 125K keep the locking lug greased good thats the first thing to wear out.
With a field grade gun shoot 1oz. load 7 1/2 or 8 shot I like 1150 to 1190 fps Or that light gun will beat you up. ENJOY
Old April 25, 2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Lordy123

Thanks guys.

I took it out last night for some practice rounds I hit 11/25, 10/25, and 13/25. Definitely worse than I did the last two Thursdays in leagues, I've been averaging 17/25 @ 16 and 14/25 @ 18.

I was surprised I did worse because the length of pull and comb fit me much nicer than my other shotguns. I noticed that on shots when I was seeing too much rib I would still hit, so tonight I'm going to try and track the top of the clay instead of the bottom while aiming.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much when I'm at the line, whatever the case I hope I get it on track tonight.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
BigJimP

You're just guessing on fit ....and what the point of impact is, for you, on this gun.....you need to get to a patterning board and check the point of impact on both barrels ( shoot at a 3" dot at about 25 yds )....3 shots in one barrel ( evaluate) .....then 3 shots in the other barrel and evaluate.

If you're seeing that much rib...the gun isn't fitting you right ....you need to change the comb / not where you shoot at the target.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Lordy123

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll admit that when I agreed to join a trap league I thought it was going to be a lot easier than this. Being a crack shot with a rifle made me think "how hard can it be". Ignorance was not bliss my first night!

I'll pattern it tonight and see where its shooting.
Old April 25, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
BigJimP

It is easy ....once you get all the fundamentals down.../ you'll be able to get your scores on Trap singles up into the 23+ average pretty quickly.../ but "Fit" is first and foremost the issue ....then stance, foot position, eye focus point as to where you look for the target, shooting the target as its still under power and rising - not when it levels off or starts to drop, position of your elbows, how consitent is your gun mount - in same spot on shoulder every time, not steering the gun with your forward hand, smooth follow-thru.....

...is where it will pay off ( all the little things )....

Shooting a rifle is a very different skill....on shotguns your eye is the rear sight ( so that's why the gun has to "Fit" you ....so it hits where you look ! ). In clay targets - once you mount the gun ...you never, ever, look at the front sight again !!! All you look at is the leading edge of the bird = not the butt...only the leading edge....and you don't ever stop the gun as you pull the trigger.

Pulling the trigger is the "start" of the shot....not the end of the shot ! The end of the shot - is the follow thru.

Talk to some of the better shooters at your club for tips, there are some very good DVD's out these days - maybe your club has some you can borrow, or guys at the club may have some....
Old April 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Remington has a good brochure for trap fundamentals:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...downloads.aspx

You should NOT being seeing ANY rib - nor should be looking at the rib or the bead - your eyes need to focus on the target and you let your eyes tell your hands how to move the gun
Old April 26, 2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Lordy123

I did much better last night after patterning the gun. After doing that I decided to stick with 7.5 shot 1 1/8oz target loads, recoil wasn't too bad. It was patterning low, but armed with that knowledge I was able to get back on track: 17/25, 15/25, 18/25, 17/25

I've got a ways to go but I'm having a blast learning. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old April 26, 2013, 04:23 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Four your shoulder's sake, you might want to drop down to at most a 1oz load. Thousands of trap shooters now have flinches or use release triggers because of shooting thousands of heavy trap loads over time. Recoil damage is serious, it is cumulative, and it is entirely preventable by using the heaviest gun and the lightest load.

International rap is shot with a 24 gram load, which is a 7/8oz load. Their targets are made harder because they launch then at 63mph versus 42. There was a big cry when they changed the rules, but scores went UP

Just something to think about as you get into this game
Old April 26, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
SauerGrapes

Some of the best hadicap trap shooters I know use 1oz loads exclusivly. 16yd trap can be shot with a 28ga if the ''Indian'' knows what he's doing.

I think you got a nice gun at a good price. Enjoy it, it should last you a looong time.

R.I.P.____Murphy