The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 21, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Buzzard

calling coyotes

I took my E-Call out this morning to a new place to see how it would work.
I got out before sun-up , sat for about 20 min letting things get settled.
I started with a jackrabbit call, called, waited about 3 min called again.
Over to my left I here yips and barks , then over to my right I here more yips and barks.
I used the "invatation" call and got answers right away. just as it was getting interesting the sun came up over the mountain and I could not see a thing. I did not pay attention and was looking right into the sun.
My question is, other than a better position is there a better set of calls that I might have used. Keep in mind I have not got my first one yet and everything I am doing is trial and error.
Oh yeah the call is a Knight & Hale E-Call.
Thanks
Old May 21, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
rickyrick

It sounds like they were ratting you out.
They may have heard the calls before or seen you set up.

The wind is very important as is the experience level of the animals.

Yips, barks and chattering see usually signs of being outed. Try a different sound next time and in a different spot, maybe lower volume at first. I'm no expert, but hunting the same area is tough but doable. Just when you think you got them figured out your call don't work any more.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Buzzard

t seemed as if the yips and howls was getting closer, just the sun came over the mountain and I couold not see into the lower land. I will make sure to get the sun behind me next time. I don't think this are gets much hunting, it is in a gold claim area on BLM land. I will let things go for a week and see what happens. Might try hand calls instead of the E-Calls.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
huntinaz

I agree, sounds like they busted you. I've never had one come in after they howl at me. Sometimes it sounds like they are getting closer but I've never had one show itself.
Old May 21, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

I have to agree with huntinaz and rickyrick, I believe you were busted.
I had that happen to me a couple of times, I thought I slipped in undetected but they let me know different.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Last edited by Hunter Customs; May 22, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:01 PM   #6
rickyrick

I've been busted alot, lol...

I've had them circle and linger for quite some time.

It's all part of the learning experience.

The good thing is, you know where they are. I wait till they start howling before I call, but, the difference is I call a night. They come in quiet and on trails. Dry brush and hay, you can hear them running. Quick bumps with the spot light don't bother them. Once they get so close they will turn back to leave. A squeak or chirp or yip will get them to take one more look. A little mouth call will come in handy for that, I can't do the lip squeak like others do, so, I hold a small call in my lips when shooting time comes. .223 or similar with varmint bullets will stop them instantly with a shot between any two of the four legs.

Keep checking back for more tips..... This is a slow time of the year for the hunting forum but more folks with good tips will show up...
Old May 22, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Buzzard

I am new at coyote hunting, this is my 3rd time out so I expect a few goof-ups.
I will keep trying and I look forward to advice from others.
I am reading a lot. The good thing about this area is I don't think it is getting a lot of hunting preasure as it is staked off as a gold claim
(I am a member of the club) and it's very remote.
Seems like we hear coyotes everytime we go to this area.
I will keep trying, sooner or later I will get my first one.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
"JJ"

Well Buzzard first let me warn ya, this WILL become addictive!
So you learned something from the last hunt with the sun and where you set up at. As long as you keep learning and having fun its all good!
Once they start with the warning barks it is all up hill from there. I have seen on video where a guy just mirrored what the coyote was doing and got it to show itself for a long shot but I don't think it happens to often.
Like rickyrick mentioned, make sure you mind the wind. One whiff of human and the game is over! They also can pick up any movement from quite a ways away. I'm not sure how these coyotes busted you but they did. Actually, its is possible only one busted you and the other was just spreading the word.
If I was in that situation I would either try to mimic them or try a ki-yi or pup distress.
Stay at it and most of all keep learning. If at all possible find a mentor to show you the ropes. It will speed up the learning process dramatically!
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Well Buzzard first let me warn ya, this WILL become addictive!
Buzzard,

"JJ" is right it will become addictive.
I've been calling coyotes for more years then I can remember, now it's by far my favorite form of hunting.

As suggested mind the wind, I try to keep it in my face when possible.
I remember one time I was calling, had the wind to my face.
I see this coyote coming in at mach speed from a half mile out, the wind switched on me blowing my scent right into the coyotes face.
The coyote was about 250 yards out when the wind changed, he left faster then he was coming in and never missed a step when he spun around to leave.

Another thing, try to hide bare skin especially your face.
I use face paint but a good face net will work also.

I also always sit with something to my back, preferably a good size tree.

Keep after it you will enjoy it and good luck with your hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old May 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #10
603Country

Coyote hunting really is fun. Those critters can be tough to get. I've sure had a dry spell, though I can blame most of it on a shortage of hunting time lately. I can't seem to call a coyote with any sort of mouth call, so I bought what you might call an entry level electronic caller. It worked for a while, but hasn't paid off in 6 months. I've got the decoys too, and all that brought in was one coyote and a few bobcats. The last coyote that I didn't get came slipping out of the edge of the woods about 60 yards upwind of me. He was an old mangy coyote with a bad limp. I was 12 feet up in a box blind and still fully camoed. He slowly strolled about 20 yards from the wood edge and froze and took a good look around. He must have had that 'spider sense', because I hadn't budged, touched the rifle, made a sound, or even blinked loudly. I was peeking, with one eye, around the window edge and waiting for him to get a bit further out in the field. But he knew I was there and he was gone like a puff of smoke.

My best success has always been when hunting over dead 3-day old pig carcasses. That works very well for me, when I can 'collect' the pigs.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:59 PM   #11
nickE10mm

I'm new to coyote hunting....

Is there any way to get them closer-in? My dad lives out by the lake surrounded by big woods... I've got an e-caller that I made and thought about setting it up in a strategic location and posting up with my longslide 10mm and trying to get a shot at one within 25-100y. He's seen foxes and coyotes run right by the house several times ... and I've personally seen a coyote from my deer stand before... so they ARE around and possible to get reasonably close to... but I've never hunted coyotes specifically.

Is what I'm trying even possible? haha
Old May 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #12
spclPatrolGroup

Late spring is the hardest season for coyotes, or at least that is my experiance. With all the other branches of the food chain giving birth, there are lots of voulnerable things out there for them to eat. I generally stop after April, and will start again in October, and focus my frustrations on fishing instead.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #13
rickyrick

The trick is not to scare them off too soon. Scent would be number 1. Second would be having been hunted before, heard the call before, or seen ya. I honestly had no luck with e-callers, but you could start out with it then switch to a mouth call to get them closer.

But I must also admit that I never tried the high end e-callers
Old May 29, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Buzzard

Well I tried it again, this time I got the E-Call and left it in the tracker, I just used a mouth call.
I called and waitied then called again, I saw movment out in the brush. I did a real soft call and out at about 100 the bushes moved and out walked 2 coyotes. The larger of the 2 barked a couple of times and sat down. I called softly again , nothing, they just sat there. I slowly placed my .223 on the shooting stick and took careful aim, boom, nothing moved then the smaller one ran off about 50yds and stopped. I took aim one the larger one again, once again ,boom,nothing it just shook its head to the side then they both took off for parts unknown.
Checked my scope later in the day and one of the mounts was loose, resighted and waiting for round 3.
I got a couple of different mouth calls for the next time.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15
rickyrick

Yep I've been had by the loose scope mount...bummer
Old May 30, 2012, 06:54 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That is the way to up the challenge right of the box... Train the first 2 dumb ones to ever present themself so perfectly!!!

Brent
Old May 30, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17
huntinaz

Bummer! That's tough, better luck with the next one. Sure is fun though, isn't it?
Old May 31, 2012, 06:19 PM   #18
603Country

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll get a mouth call. Do you experienced mouth call guys have a working favorite? There are so many out there and I don't want to buy one of each.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:34 PM   #19
"JJ"

603 any closed reed distress call off the shelf will call in a coyote if you do all the others things that you need to do.
I don't know what stores you have around but a Flextone dying rabbit call that sells for $13 called in my first.
A closed reed is a lot easier to learn on. Get a call you like and watch a bunch of coyote hunting videos to hear how they play their call amd then practice a lot!
Using a hand call you need to call for about a minute and then sit stiller then still for about 3-5 minutes just watching. You want to have the coyote hunting the source of the sound when it arrives. This is when a decoy is worth its weight in gold!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old May 31, 2012, 09:06 PM   #20
rickyrick

I got two coyotes with a flex tone. It was real cheap.

I have found a lot of calls on clearance right after deer season closes. I don't guess that Walmart knows that it's still good coyote hunting time. Lol.

I've had good luck with a Johnny Stewart dog howler, it's open reed. Primo's has some that work good too. Open reed are very versatile but can be a challenge. You wanna be careful not to imitate warning howls. Just leave the barks out to be safe. I stick to yips, howls and hurt dog. Friendly sounding yips have been peoductive.
I've had poor luck in the day, but many guys have good success. I hunt at night. I call for a couple of minutes, then I listen then I give the spotlight a bump. I think in the day that I may not just ever see them, I know at night they stop and sit and watch at times. In the sitting and watching position, they blend into the brush amazingly well.
My outings usually go like this, I wait and listen for pigs for two to three hours, during this time I usually have heard two or three coyote concertos and some petty coyote squabbles. If no pigs sighted I'll start calling if coyote activity seems good. During the wait I have been busted by coyotes also, I am amazed at their persistence to snitch.
In the end, I have more unproductive hunts for coyotes than I'd like. But I love being out there. It's pretty awesome to see that dog comming in, and that it's coming to your call.
I'm gonna try to get out this weekend. I gave them a rest because I over hunted them.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Ok, I'm convinced. I'll get a mouth call. Do you experienced mouth call guys have a working favorite? There are so many out there and I don't want to buy one of each.
I have a good assortment of mouth blown calls, some are custom made from exotic wood, some I made from deer antler, some are mass produced made of plastic or rubber.

The ones I use the most and always have with me when calling are my "Little Buddie" calls.
These things look like ink pin tops with reeds in them, they sure have worked well for me.

They are easy to use and carry, they clip in my shirt pocket like an ink pen.
There's two calls in a package, the red one sounds like a cottontail, the blue one is raspier like a jack rabbit.
They are not expensive, I believe if you try them you will like them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old June 3, 2012, 11:29 AM   #22
huntinaz

Quote:
Do you experienced mouth call guys have a working favorite?
The Primos Lil'dog is very good.

The best I've tried is the TT Extreme by Tony Tebbe. It's easy to blow and I've had great success with it. Called coyote, fox and bobcat with it. It's about half way down the page, it's the orange production call. Can't beat it in my opinion.
http://http://www.predatoruniversity...ine_Store.html
Old June 3, 2012, 02:26 PM   #23
droptrd

Coyotes are very smart and difficult to call in. Wind is your biggest factor. If theyre yipping and calling they either know the call you are using or theyve scented you out.

Dont get discouraged. It took me around 20 stands before i got one to come in. Coyotes know their area well. Keep experimenting with different calls and eventually you will find something that peaks their interest.
I use E calls almost exclusively. I find the issue I have with reed calls is getting the volume just right. If youre too loud you will spook them.

Keep the wind in front of you.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:25 PM   #24
bigalshootmupper

I tried my 5th coyote hunting Sat night, full moon, everything should have been perfect. I set up right at dusk, but to get to my spot I had a huge fallen tree in the road to my spot. I had to pull out the chainsaw and cut the tree, then use all of my might to pick it up and push it out of the road. This was about 500 yards away, but I was so full of sweat that I think all of the coyotes smelled me when I hiked in to my spot. I heard some howling down wind from me. I guess they are smarter than you think. I am trying to learn my self. I will get one soon.
Old June 5, 2012, 10:24 PM   #25
10-96

Quote:
Keep experimenting with different calls and eventually you will find something that peaks their interest.
True, but I have to conciously and continuously keep my self in check so as to not call and change calls too frequently.

It may sound odd, but after a dry spell and not wanting to dish out more $$ for yet more calls I whipped out a turkey call and used it as I normally would for turkey and actually brought in two adults and a youngster in one evening. I was set up between CRP and a cut wheat field. Never hunted turkey in an area like that, but it did bring in the song dogs.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.