The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 27, 2011, 11:34 PM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

Help a new coyote hunter

Me and a friend have started hunting as a pair for coyotes. He uses his sks and I use my maverick model 88 12gauge. I've been using 00Buck and I'm thinking this is the right load for a cylinder bore shotgun (all of my shots are within 40yards) and we hunt from either a 2man groundblind or we make brush blinds. Im looking for any tips or tricks from all who would care to donate knowledge to a young hunter. Ps I hunt early morning/late evenings in western north carolina if it changes anything.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
warbirdlover

In the mountains? With the ticks? (Used to live in Hendersonville)...

Maybe get a wounded rabbit or something call?
Old December 28, 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
HALL,AUSTIN

what luck

I actually hunt IN hendersonville :-) :-) :-) and yes. With the ticks, but I have a quaker boy distressed rabbit call and we got 3 off it so far. But man what luck, I throw out WNCand you hunted the same area.
Old December 28, 2011, 12:16 AM   #4
warbirdlover

Actually never hunted it. I'm really only a deer hunter and now an old one at 64. I was in my late 30's when I lived there and when I saw you had to go on horseback to go deer hunting in the mountains and then that the deer were only the size of puppy dogs there (much bigger in the Piedmont) I sold my .300 Win Mag and didn't hunt again until I moved back here.

If you ever are in Hendersonville, stop in to Sensei Doug Perry's dojo and tell him I said hi. I took Karate there under him for five years. (He's the head of the Okinawan Shorin Rhu Karate Assn and is the only non-Okinawan to ever be promoted to the rank of 9th degree black belt). Tell him "Jerrysan" from Wisconsin said hi.
Old December 28, 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
HALL,AUSTIN

If i find the dojo I will do so. And yes our deer are pitiful, so i hunt yotes, bear, coons, and rabbits. Atleast they are compairable to other places game.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6
BIGR

Now lets not put down those WNC deer too much guys. I know for a fact that this one came from that region. No thats not me, I wished though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mtn. deer.JPG (49.0 KB, 80 views)
Old December 28, 2011, 12:19 PM   #7
huntinaz

Quote:
I've been using 00Buck and I'm thinking this is the right load for a cylinder bore shotgun (all of my shots are within 40yards)
#4 buck is generally regarded as the best by most experienced predator hunters, although the Dead Coyote load with T-shot is popular but expensive. The 3 inch #4 buck loads carry 41 pellets and are less expensive. Your range depends on your pattern, but a cylinder bore is probably going to shorten your range. Either of the above loads is going to pattern better than the standard 9 pellet 00buck load. Some folks have good luck with lead BB loads as well. Good luck, and go knowck some dogs down!
Old December 28, 2011, 02:53 PM   #8
rickyrick

Skunk essence. Last week, I had one coyote come in against the wind and she never knew I was there.
Old December 29, 2011, 07:40 PM   #9
"JJ"

rickyrick, I gonna let you keep the skunk scent! I would end up spilling!! I do use a scent eliminator and cover mist, but you can't fool a coyote's nose! You may be able to confuse it, but not fool it. I usually work the wind to my favor so I don't have to find out if my cover scent works! huntinaz gave you some god advice on the shotgun load! I like #4 buck myself! That may be because I can't afford Heavy Shot Dead Coyote at $3 a shot! But huntinaz, I believe the 3" 00 buck has more then 9 pellets, but the point is still there. 41 pellets .25 in diameter is a lot better! The other thing I would add is study, study and study some more! There is a great predator hunting forum that has hunt videos you can watch for fre. It is a forum similar to this but instead of firearms, it focuses on coyotes and predators! There are a few that I am a member of, if you are interested shoot me a PM. Good luck!
Old December 29, 2011, 07:47 PM   #10
arch308

If you can afford one, an electric call with remote works wonders. You can place it out in ft of you so the yote won't be looking in your direction and you won't be winded like I get with a mouth call.
Old December 29, 2011, 09:33 PM   #11
warbirdlover

Electric calls are illegal in some places (like Wisconsin)....
Old December 29, 2011, 11:59 PM   #12
HALL,AUSTIN

I switched from a cylinder bore to a full choke and now its time to pattern. Going to buy some different loads on pay day and make some cardboard coyotes to pattern on, gonna make then smallish cut outs, just to be sure. Also Im building blinds out of branches and foliage so that I can have the artificial blind with the seats and all aswell as other "natural" blinds to leave set up so that I have multiple locations to hunt. Are there any flaws in my plan? If so please don't be shy to point them out and tell me "no, thats a terrible idea"... Well thanks to everyone for the help so far, I appreciate it
Old December 30, 2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I switched from a cylinder bore to a full choke and now its time to pattern. Going to buy some different loads on pay day and make some cardboard coyotes to pattern on, gonna make then smallish cut outs, just to be sure. Also Im building blinds out of branches and foliage so that I can have the artificial blind with the seats and all aswell as other "natural" blinds to leave set up so that I have multiple locations to hunt. Are there any flaws in my plan? If so please don't be shy to point them out and tell me "no, thats a terrible idea"... Well thanks to everyone for the help so far, I appreciate it
When I pattern my shotguns I use a 4ftx4ft cardboard this allows me to see how even the pattern is and also see where the holes in the pattern may be.
I patterned my 870 with an extra full choke at 50 yards using #4 buck and most of my pattern was concentrated left of point of aim. So I know now that if a coyote is standing broadside and facing to the left I need to hold about mid body to concentrate most of my hits to the chest, shoulder and neck.
If I had used a coyote cut out facing left and aimed at the shoulder most of my shot would have missed the target and I would have had no ideal where it hit at.

As for ground blinds I prefer to wear camoflage and sit with my back to a large tree.
I don't want anything in front or around me if at all possible.

It's good to have mutiple locations to hunt that way you don't have to hunt the same spots to often.

Good luck on your coyote hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 30, 2011, 04:25 PM   #14
HALL,AUSTIN

Man, thats a great idea with the 4x4 cardboard. I wouldnt have thought of that for a long time. But ok, then cancel the ground blinds and stick with full cammo and natural cover. Ok, now just to pattern. And learn how to pelt coyotes, cause i cant just kill for sport. Maybe i could make a coyote rug or blanket... Hmm, what can be done with coyote? I've never heard of then being eaten, so i guess just use the pelts?
Old December 30, 2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Jo6pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Electric calls are illegal in some places (like Wisconsin)....
Actually, they now allow the use of eletronic calls for fox, coyote, racoon, crows, and unprotected species during open season. They changed the law a few years ago.
Still cannot use them for deer, turkey or waterfowl
Old December 30, 2011, 07:11 PM   #16
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I have always believed that if you are going to shoot something then you should also plan to eat it.
I worked with a fella that believed the same thing.
One day me and a couple of other fellas seen him swat some flies and kill them, so we gathered them up and put them on his plate of food.
We also was sure to tell him we just saw the biggest fly come from the outhouse.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 30, 2011, 07:46 PM   #17
hooligan1

hehehehe good stuff man!!! hehweheee
Old December 30, 2011, 09:54 PM   #18
huntinaz

Quote:
I have always believed that if you are going to shoot something then you should also plan to eat it.

The sheep ranchers have an argument to make that the coyotes pilfer their flocks. So are you a sheep rancher, Hall-Austin??
So it's ok for "sheep ranchers" to kill coyotes, but not anybody else? Wouldn't the sheep ranchers be thankful for the dead coyotes, regardless of who kills them? Is it ok for the coyotes to die, or isn't it? Cause the coyotes don't give a damn whether it's a rancher or a sport hunter that kills them...they don't care for any of it.

Quote:
I have no idea how coyote tastes and I do not intend to ever find out.
It tastes terrible. If they were good, folks would eat them. They aren't.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:54 AM   #19
bullspotter

what about chicken ranchers? Is it ok for them to kill coyotes? lol dont remember that part of my sunday school class.........

To the o/p might try the federal buck shot with the flight control wad.

Personaly I like to save my gut piles from deer season, freez them till winter. when it gets about 12-15 inches of snow and 5-10 degress outside, pop the guts in the oven at 425 for 39 min and put right in a trash bag.... dont spill them..... and dont do it when the wife will be home anytime soon... keep windows open!!! dump it in your fave hot spot...... do some calling they will come. they like a real easy meal in the deep snow during a cold winter day. then I like to introduce them to the 6.5 grendal.
Old December 31, 2011, 01:10 AM   #20
bullspotter

ummm you may want to get out more dude, not all chickens are safe in a coup, theirs 1000s of ranchers who raise chickens that free roam their property.....
Old December 31, 2011, 09:06 AM   #21
HALL,AUSTIN

Well I sure don't want to eat a coyote if they taste bad but if you can use some part of them it is worthwhile isn't it? And well, I just think a coyote rug would be cool.
Old December 31, 2011, 09:44 AM   #22
rickyrick

What the heck??
Old December 31, 2011, 10:54 AM   #23
Jo6pak

Seems some posts have been removed from this thread.

Anyway, thanks or the good info here. I've hunted coyote in the past with limited success. I've shot a few while deer hunting, but never while actually sitting and calling.
I'm planning on starting to do it more often, as it seems when I rabbit hunt, I see more coyote and fox tracks than bunny tracks on the farm.

I bought a quiver critter decoy
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...3&merchID=4006

And this caller.
http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/...&categoryID=15

One drawback I noticed on the caller is that it has no volume control on the remote. so I bought a small distressed rabbit mouth call for closer in.

One question is, where to put the electronic call. I've heard some say that I should put it 30-50 yards behind me. My thought is that is should be out in front near the small rabbit decoy I have.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:07 AM   #24
HALL,AUSTIN

Call placement

I've heard behind your location, ive heard beside the decoy.... It confuses me but i juat have a rabbit squealer type thing. It works but the coyotes are smart. You gotta change it up I guess...
Old December 31, 2011, 10:29 PM   #25
Hunter Customs

I have a electronic call with remote, when I use the electronic call I place it about 40 yards to one side or the other of me.

I really don't use a decoy, however I did use a coyote that I killed and froze in a sitting position as a decoy and it worked great.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com