The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 31, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Hoppes bore light review

I went out and bought this thing 3 weeks ago in preparation for receiving my new rifle. most of the reviews were pretty bad but I went ahead and bought one anyway because I needed something to inspect the bore. the reviews were correct - the Hoppes bore light is pure garbage of the highest order. the connector inside is pretty flimsy and the light doesn't always work when you want it to. I don't know who designed this thing but the folks at Hoppes need to do some quality control before releasing garbage into the market. I ended up going to Home Depot and bought a mini mag light that fits on a keychain. I then took the rubber cap with the plastic hook off the Hoppes bore light and just as I suspected, it fits perfectly on the mini mag light....and the mag light is 100 times more durable. do yourself a favor and avoid this bore light like the plague. or better yet, if you already own one, go out and pay the $5 it costs for a mini mag light and use the rubber cap from the Hoppes light instead. works like a charm.
Old October 31, 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
wogpotter

Spring a few more bucks for the fiber optic add on for the mag lite. It rocks as a bore light even with .22 bores.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:21 PM   #3
ethan95

Quote:
use the rubber cap from the Hoppes light instead
great minds think alike