The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2010, 07:32 PM   #26
jjohnson

Dirty Loads (soot)

Yeah, as some of the guys have mentioned, the problem with really light plinking/target ammo is that you often don't have enough pressure to cause complete combustion - the brass isn't forced all the way against the cylinder walls, so it doesn't really seal. That gives you the broad sooty streak down one side of the casing. Sometimes you can crimp a bit more and get that to go away, but that can be hard on the brass (and accuracy). If your loads burn dirty, start bumping up your powder charge (WITHIN published limits) one or two tenths of a grain at a time. When you hit the "sweet spot," it'll disappear.

Then... if you're a real tightwad like many of us, you can sit down and calculate what the extra powder would cost you. Figure out what your time is worth and how long it takes you to really clean your handgun. Compare the two. For my money, I figure .2 grain is a fair price for a cleaner burning load. Seriously - I've seen revolvers nearly seized from all the crud.