The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2010, 07:27 AM   #1
TexasTB

223 Handloads - No ignition

Guys

New to the forum. Enjoy reading your posts about reloading.

I needs some help with a recent issue. Just purchased Remington R-15 and took it to the range yesterday. It fired all the commercial loads fine. When I tried my handloads it wouldn't fire them. Looked at primer, no dent in primer at all. I looked at depth of primer seating and it appears to be the same as commercial loads.

I'm using a mixture of used brass with Winchester small rifle primers, varget and 55 grn ballistic tips. Any tips and recommendations on where to start with this problem would be appreciated.

TexasTB
Old May 23, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
flashhole

How does the neck/shoulder junction compare between the two. Sounds like a headspace issue. Is it possible you could have been too aggressive when sizing the case and bumped the shoulder back too far?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 23, 2010, 07:37 AM   #3
ZeSpectre

flashhole beat me too it. You should measure your cases and see if the rifle is even going fully into battery.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
rjrivero

Case Guage

I would recommend you get a good case guage to make sure your sizing die is setup correctly. Too much depth and you can loose the round in the chamber, not enough depth and you can't get the round into battery.

As mentioned by the two members above, sizing is where you start, and will most likely find your issue.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:23 AM   #5
chris in va

Did it even go 'click' when you pulled the trigger?
Old May 23, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
TexasTB

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Ordered a .223 Chamber Gauge from Dillon this morning.

To answer one of the replies, the gun "clicked" when the trigger was pulled.
Old May 23, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Jim243

Please check your head stamps on the reloaded cases and make sure they are not 222 Remington. Remington 222 = 1.690" Remington 223 = 1.750"
Old May 23, 2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

In the AR type guns, same as with Garands and M14's, use an internal hammer rather than a cocked combination striker and firing pin. So the click just means the hammer fell. If the bolt is not fully closed, the firing pin will be blocked from going forward even if the hammer falls. That lack of indentation suggests your loads didn't fit the chamber correctly and the bolt did not rotate into closed position. If the rounds are simply too short, they will usually headspace by their rims on the extractor hook and fire anyway. It's more likely incomplete resizing or bullets seated way out too far for their shape.

Check sizing with the case gauge and check what the bullet manufacturer recommended COL for your bullet is?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 23, 2010, 11:22 PM   #9
bullspotter

If the shoulder was not pushed back far enough to let the gun go into battery, I would think they would stick in the chamber and need a real good pull to clear them from the gun.