The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 14, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1
GunsAreGood

Security Token Missing

I recently tried to post some pictures in a thread and got a message that a Security Token was missing. can any of the staff please tell me what this means and how to fix it. Thank you.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 14, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

That usually means you are trying to access a URL that begins with "https" instead of "http". If so, drop the 's' and give it another try.
Old March 14, 2010, 02:19 AM   #3
GunsAreGood

Thank you for the quick response. I was trying to add the pictures through a attachment so dropping the S is not the problem. Do you have any other ideas? I have never used the insert image to add pictures. If I wanted to use that would I have to start something like a Photobucket account and put the images from my computer onto the account and do it that way. Any input would be much appreciated.

Old March 14, 2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Bud Helms

Go to this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=368640 and scroll down to the part about Security Certificates.

It is essentially a nonproblem, but good for you for not ignoring it. Really.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

I don't think that's related to SSL.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 15, 2010, 05:15 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Okay, I thought it was. Do you have any suggestions?
Old March 15, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Guns: can you describe exactly what you were doing when you got the error? I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 15, 2010, 06:21 PM   #8
GunsAreGood

Quote:
Guns: can you describe exactly what you were doing when you got the error? I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.
Yes I was starting a new thread and wanted to insert some images so as usual I just used the attachment button. The pictures where just taken on a friends camera and put onto my computer. The pictures I was trying to post have never been posted before. Maybe it has something to do with the camera. So I tried to upload the pictures and it just says error DSCF2610.jpg Upload of file failed. I kept trying to upload with the same manage attachments box and after multiple attempts I received the Security Token Missing error. The weird thing is that I can post other images using the attachment button but not the images taken on a friends camera.

I have never used the INSERT IMAGE button. If I wanted to use that would I have to start something like a Photobucket account and put the images from my computer onto the account and post them though Photobucket. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old March 16, 2010, 11:10 AM   #9
tyme
Staff

Still not sure about the security token error... I mean it's a value that gets passed through various forms in vbulletin, that they introduced over a year ago, but I don't see why it would be broken.

The failed uploads, though... could it be the jpegs are too big?
Old March 17, 2010, 09:04 AM   #10
GunsAreGood

Quote:
could it be the jpegs are too big?
That is a easy solution that I seemed to overlook. If the image was to big would It give me a Security Token missing error message? I will fool around with it some more and see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

Old March 17, 2010, 01:36 PM   #11
GunsAreGood

Well I just created a Photobucket account and put the images in a thread using the insert image button and it worked perfect. I am giving up on figuring it out. thank you for your input.

Old March 17, 2010, 01:36 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

Nope, nothing about the image should be affecting whether you get a security token error.

I would guess that the security token thing is some weird issue related to your firewall or web browser or session time-out or broken session cookies.

You mentioned something about a separate error
Quote:
it just says error DSCF2610.jpg Upload of file failed.
and I was guessing that that error might have something to do with exceeding file size limits.
Old March 17, 2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I just got a security token error trying to reply to a thread...

Oddly, when I went back to the TFL main forum page I was showing as not logged in and I have it set to stay logged in and it has always worked....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tokenj.jpg (44.0 KB, 121 views)
Old March 17, 2010, 03:54 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

the plot thickens
Old March 17, 2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

Oddly enough, I was also logged out when I tried to return to TFL about 20 minutes ago. I haven't had to login for months (maybe years) unless I have expressly logged out.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:01 PM   #16
tyme
Staff

We did upgrade to vb 3.8.5 today, maybe that reset cookies? Separate issue though.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:35 PM   #17
vranasaurus

I received the security token message when I tried to reply to a thread today and I have been logged out twice.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:44 PM   #18
tyme
Staff

Twice? Could that be once for www.thefiringline.com and once for thefiringline.com? If it happens again, edit your post and note that it happened more than twice.

We should probably be redirecting one of those hostnames to the other to avoid having two sets of cookies. Who knows what kind of grief that's causing people. It might also even be responsible for this security token business.

I will look into the security token thing more closely. Won't be tonight though.
Old March 18, 2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Evan Thomas

I too had to log in when I came back yesterday after seeing a notice about the software upgrade -- just assumed it was a cookie-reset thing related to the upgrade.

But I haven't seen anything about a security token, missing or otherwise... I feel a bit left out.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
But I haven't seen anything about a security token, missing or otherwise... I feel a bit left out.

You've probably got my missing token, that's why you're not having any trouble.... I'd really like it back, please.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:14 PM   #21
Evan Thomas

Hah! Yes, I just found it, and it does have your name on it.

You can have it back -- for a price....
Old March 18, 2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Mal H
Staff

peetza - what Vanya has is only a token of your security, if you want your real security back, I've got it! And it will cost you even more than he was going to charge!

Old March 18, 2010, 05:56 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Bah!

I'll just go down to Chuckie Cheese's and get a new one! They're only a quarter!
Old March 18, 2010, 07:10 PM   #24
Evan Thomas

You'll regret it someday.

The original tokens will appreciate in value, as they're very collectible -- not to mention the sentimental value of the one that was yours...
Old March 18, 2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Ok guys, we're all getting a little silly and definitely OT. Back to the original discussion of missing security tokens ....