The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 16, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
mtnman

Black powder load.

I have not had an opportunity to hunt with my black powder rifle for a couple of years. In WV we have a special muzzle loader season, yesterday I took the old hawken style Traditions rifle out for a walk. To make a long story short I ended up with a 30 yard shot at a nice fat doe. She was processed into protein potential today. My load is 80 grains of black powder behind a 250gn TC maxi hunter bullet. Yes I use the two improvements, one a percussion cap and the other a conical bullet. My dad and brother bith use inline muzzle loaders and I also have one but just did not take it out.
Sorry to ramble just wanting to know from those that use traditional equiptment what loads you use and what is your success. It should also be mentioned that the wind was in my favor along with the terain and I was able to stalk within 30 yards before droping the hammer. The doe did not move from where she stood when I squeezed the trigger.

Last edited by mtnman; December 16, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 16, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Pahoo

I use to use the Maxi-Ball in my Hawken Model Sidelock with 90grns. of Pyrodex-RS but have only shot the Maxi-Hunter in my In-Line. My usual hunting load is mostly 95grns. of 777. Every year, a bunch of us have a Bunny- Hunt and we only use PRB and 50-70grns. of 777 or Pyrodex and one guy is sworn to BP. Please excuse the term; Bunny-Hunt! ...

Quote:
Yes I use the two improvements of percussion cap and conical bullets.
Can you elaborate? Conicals are fine for traditionals. What caps are you using?

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
mtnman

I use CCI and Remington caps I shoot both. My comment on improvements is just to say that some people think to be a purist you need to shoot flint and round balls. To that I say what about the match lock. I also do not have a problem with modern inlines if that is what you like. For me I just like the old side locks just a preference, so I quess it was in the interest of full discolsure.
Old December 16, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
My comment on improvements is just to say that some people think to be a purist you need to shoot flint and round balls.
Then there are other purist that say; all you really need to take a deer is a Bow and Arrow. You are doing just fine and other's opinion is just that. Keep in mind that in-lines have been around for longer than you think. My passion is in my Traditonals but I promote and teach all M/L's. The Electra might be a stretch?? OOPS

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5
horseman308

I shoot 55 grains of FFFg GOEX blackpowder with a .490 prb. I plan on trying out conicals at some point, but I haven't needed to do so yet. I love all the arguments about what purists prefer at which time. I suppose to me that my idea of "purity" is using what would have been reasonably expected ammo in the rifle, given the time period in which it was designed.
Old December 16, 2009, 05:21 PM   #6
simonkenton

The .50 round ball with 80 grains of powderf in my TC Hawken or homemade Tennessee Mountain Rifle is deadly on deer and wild hogs at 80 yards and less.
Hit 'em in the lungs and they won't get far.
Old December 16, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
shortwave

A .490 RB, .015 patch, CCI primers with 90grns. Pyrodex RS out of my TC Hawkins, gets me accurately out to 100yds when deer hunting.

I usually mix the inlines , traditionals and pistols up between our shotgun and BP seasons. Trying to take a deer with each.

So far this year its been a deer with inline and pistol.
With luck, this weekend(two day shotgun) I`ll take one with shotgun leaving our BP season in Jan. for the Hawkins
Old December 26, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Chick

Don't you have any trouble with accuracy and the conical bullets, with the slow rate of twist, in the Hawken?