The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
bignz

Storing Lead Bullets

I had a thought today, which gave me a concern.

I just received 1000, .45 200g LSWC for general loading in plinking rounds. I imediately unpacked them and put them in the Tupperware containers I store all my components in. Then I had the thought.

1000 rounds have some significant weight to them. Does anyone see a problem storing them this way? Could the weight deform bullets on the bottom of the container?

I figure someone out there who does significant amounts of casting would have some thoughts on this.
Old September 24, 2009, 05:00 AM   #2
QBall45

If you had said you have a 55 gallon barrel full of cast lead bullets, my answer would be; yes this may be a concern. However, your talking about 1k. My answer is no. This is not a problem. Unless, you have them stacked one on top of the other in a super long bullet feeding tube that's tall enough to hold a thousand bullets you should not have any issues.

I store the bullets that I cast in penut buttet jars. I cast em,let em cool, then stuff em in the jar. Stored on the floor under the loading bench. Left side unlubed. Right side lubed & ready to load.

Have were these bullets packaged when you got em? My guess is in a cardboard box of either 500 or 1000.
Old September 24, 2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Sport45

I just leave mine in the cardboard boxes until I'm ready to use them. I do reinforce the box with a couple wraps of clear packing tape in each direction because the ones on the bottom will sometimes split if they're stacked more than two deep. I think Qball45 is right in saying you're not going to be able to practically stack them dep enough to deform the bullets without splitting the plastic or cardboard containers first.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Farmland

I have never had a problem storing lead bullets in the amount you have stated. In fact I had some 44 caliber Horandy bullets that sat in their original box for 10 years until I got around to loading them. Sometime during long term storage they will develop a white coating but I never had them deform.

Just don't store them over a heat source which could possibly melt the lube.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:09 AM   #5
DiscoRacing

I have the small plastic containers that are square in shape... i believe they are like 8inches square.... I put aprox 500-600 rds cast in each one... and have some stacked two high.... never have a problem with it.... dont believe there would be enough wieght transfer to damage lead.
Old September 24, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
MDB

I store mine in brass cases and don't have any problems.
Old September 24, 2009, 09:27 AM   #7
rwilson452

Storing enough of them in one spot can do bad things to shelving. Other than that, no issues.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Kyo

i keep my 2 boxes of 500 in the postage box that they came in until I am ready to take them out. never had any problem with them. I didn't burn through the first 500 until last week. then last week i started using the other 500 so i opened that box, and not any of the ones i used looked like they were disfigured in any way.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 24, 2009, 11:55 AM   #9
barryhud

cast bullets

My problem is that they don't last long enough.This week I received 1000 45's from Hornady, 1000 41's fro Meister and 2000 32's from Missouri Bullet and they won't last very long.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:10 PM   #10
GeauxTide

Good Idea

I've had some cast bullets that have been stored in cigar boxes get some oxidation on them. The ability of the TW to push out the air is a real plus.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:13 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

Quote:
My problem is that they don't last long enough
.... is what I have for the same problem
Old September 24, 2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Mtn Biker

Could I also ask a question along the same lines as the OP? I usually keep my bulk bullets in the OEM boxes on a shelf in an unheated garage. With winter coming on the temp in the garage could get in the low 20's/hi teens where I live. Any worries? I keep my loaded stuff in the house and wouldnt think the temps would cause any problems with bulk bullets but wanted others opinions.
Thanks.

VL
Old September 24, 2009, 12:25 PM   #13
DiscoRacing

i have aprox. 3,000 rds of factory bullets and over 7,000 rds cast that are in an outbldg with no heat in winter... have never had a problem with em.
Old September 24, 2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

A Harry Pope said over a century ago, a bullet is steered by its base. As long as you don't ding up the base, they will stay accurate. Dinging the nose seldom causes any difference you can see on the target. The commercial bullet casters usually just toss them loose into boxes of 500. If your box is no deeper than theirs, I don't see how you are aggravating the problem?

I like to store the ones I cast myself in flat boxes roughly the size of cigar boxes, I set them in base-down in rows. If they aren't tumble-lubed and are going to be stored for a time, I spray them lightly with WD-40 to prevent the surface oxide formation. The oxide is hard enough to be a little abrasive. I suppose that might actually be good for most barrels if you didn't shoot too many of them; kind of like firelapping. But I don't want to find out that's a bad guess for some reason, nor too inadvertently shoot too many for the gun's best interest. The idea behind setting the bullets in rows is having the nose of a bullet that's not on top centered on the bullet above it. The critical perimeter of the base then has nothing bearing on it. If tilt the box at a slight angle while you stack the rows, the bullets don't fall off. Cardboard spacers may be required to keep them in place.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2009, 02:24 PM   #15
c.j.sikes

store lead bullets

i use 30 and 50 cal. ammo. cans. cjs
Old September 24, 2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Russ5924

I find the new Maxwell House and Folgers plastic coffee cans work great with cases, but the Maxwell House seals a lot tighter. But bullets I just leave in the box have had 2000 HBWC shipped to me in one box with out one bad one. If you don't like the color of the coffee cans paint them with the Krylon Fusion paint
Old September 24, 2009, 02:45 PM   #17
chris in va

That's 28.5 pounds of bullets.
Old September 24, 2009, 02:50 PM   #18
farmall

Mine are mostly in old Go-Jo hand cleaner cans. Much heavier plastic. I was using butter tubs, but had one split out the side and dump the tumble lubeed bullets onto a dirty concrete floor.

Andy
Old September 24, 2009, 06:42 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Bummer. Those tubs can work harden and need to be annealed.

Hmmm. I said that as a joke, but maybe with some hot water. . ? But, yeah, just too thin to be reliable.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Tags
casting , lead , weight