The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2004, 04:24 AM   #1
wacki

Recommendations for a clay shooter?

I like shooting clays. This is my first shotgun, what should I get?
Old December 25, 2004, 08:09 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Beretta 391, Browning Gold or Remington 1100 in clay configurations.
Old December 26, 2004, 08:50 AM   #3
wacki

Is there anything cheaper? Will the Benelli Nova be good enough?
Old December 26, 2004, 12:03 PM   #4
mete

I think you're handicaping yourself with a pump fo SC. Stick to an O/U or auto.Other than that a Nova is fine.
Old December 26, 2004, 02:47 PM   #5
RevolverLover

Get what you will feel comfortable with.
Old December 26, 2004, 04:42 PM   #6
Danindetroit

A pump is fine.
Old December 26, 2004, 07:52 PM   #7
HunterTRW

Spend some time at your local sporting clays course(s), and get to know both the regular shooters and the management. Tell them that you are in the market for a shotgun, and want to find the one that will best fit your needs. Typically they will invite you to "try my gun," and I urge you to take advantage of these offers, shooting both semi-automatics, over-unders, and pumps (since you expressed an interest in the latter). As a matter of courtesy you should offer to pay for any shells and targets expended. Do ask questions about what they like (and don't like) about their particular gun, and about any particular quirks or problems and how they were resolved.

Once you find a gun with which you shoot well, try it in a variety of target presentations and with more than one type of load (some shotguns pattern specific loads better than others, and the only way to find out is to shoot them). Finally, remember that the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to shotguns, too. Pay particular attention to the fit of the stock. The late Gene Hill once said, "I would prefer, given the choice, to have my guns well stocked with fine wood rather than covered with engraving. I'd rather look good shooting than have what I'm shooting look good." To which I say, Amen!

Good luck, and good shooting! You've started down a wonderful path.

Last edited by HunterTRW; December 26, 2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 26, 2004, 09:20 PM   #8
Cowdogpete

Quote:
Get what you will feel comfortable with.
Could also be said as "get what fits". When a shotgun "justfeels good" You;re on the right track.

Gun fit is the most important part of the equation. Pumps are fine, autos are better, doubles are more expensive but very nice.

Cowdogpete
Old December 27, 2004, 12:41 AM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

choice of shotgun

I would pick an under over from a quality manufacturer.

The difference in price with Brownings and Berettas has a lot to do with grade and the amount of engraving on them. A functional one of either can be had for sensible money if you stick to plain models.

Choice really comes down to the gun that fits you best. Go to a gun dealer recommended by your club or have someone with you who can help find the gun that ';fits' you best.
Old January 1, 2005, 07:25 AM   #10
SmokinTom

Go check Wal-Mart. They have Winchester 1300`s for around $250. Vent rib and choke tubes and a fine 1`st shotgun for starting out with. Good looking too.
Old January 1, 2005, 12:46 PM   #11
wacki

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I've already made 2 trips out to the gunclub and I've tried 4 different guns.

So far my favorites are the Benelli M3 Super 90 and the Benelli Nova. Both are light weight and comfortable. The only thing I'm worried about the nova is getting aftermarket stocks. Is it possible? I'm 6'-6" and I would probably want to get a longer stock.

I tried a wood Berretta AL391 and Browning Over/Under and I did not like it at all. They both felt way too front heavy and I didn't like the Over/Under's recoil.

Also, with the M2 my Dad had problems loading the shells. Although it wasn't difficult for me, it did take a lot more force to push the shell in the magazine. Is this normal?
Old January 1, 2005, 02:49 PM   #12
RevolverLover

The Nova's stock and receiver are one piece, so there is no way to get an aftermarket stock. You can add a few spacers but thats it.
Old January 1, 2005, 05:57 PM   #13
chris in va

I just bought a Nova myself. Honestly, it's a GREAT gun, but the fact you can't really tinker with different parts is a little frustrating.

You may just want to get a Remington simply because aftermarket stuff is available no matter where you go, even WalMart. If you know for a fact skeet/trap is in your future, just go ahead and get an over/under right off the bat.

It'll be odd, but I plan on trying out the local trap range with my 20ga Nova. Hopefully I'll hit SOME of them.
Old January 3, 2005, 11:01 PM   #14
wacki

As long as you have a center bead, you should have no problem hitting with the Nova. My brother and I didn't.
Old January 4, 2005, 11:20 AM   #15
StevenII

I have a Berreta 391 and love it.